Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_8688276

Bedroom makeover - help please!

Eliesha Rae
19 days ago
last modified: 19 days ago

I had a great experience with this community when I was designing/reno-ing my teeny tiny bathroom and got so much invaluable advice and help, so I thought I'd give it another crack.

We bought a house before the interest rates starting rising and the 5 year plan was the knock it down and .build our dream home, but that's looking like it could be a 15 year to never project now, so I just want to have some fun with what we've got (without spending huge dollars).

I want to re-do my bedroom, no major renos or investment furniture pieces, just paint and design.

I want to keep it maximalist, but not overwhelming, not cluttered. Main inspiration is. Hotel le Deux Gares. I love colour and quirky details. Definitely NOT boring or following whatever the latest scandi/minimalist trend is. I do love mid-century modern, but with a bit more of a European colourful twist.

I've attached the layout and my inspo - here are my questions for the brains trust...

1. What do you think about the layout? Is this the best spot for the bed?

2. Which paint colours do you think go best with my pink bed?

3. Lighting - pendant light in the centre of the ceiling. Wall scones on either side of the bed. Should I add a floor lamp or lamp on one of the bedside tables? Or other lighting solutions?

4. Recommendations for bedside tables - must have storage

5. What colour/style to paint the wardrobe and Ikea tallboy

6. Wall-hung bookshelves on the big wall? Inspo?

7. Full-length mirror somewhere?

8. Solutions to disguise the ugly carpet?

9. Inspo to display my jewellery and perfume on top of the tallboy

And anything else you might want to recommend, I'm open to having a productive conversation!

Comments (17)

• Jennifer Hogan
    19 days ago

The hot pink bed and the muddier, muted bedding pictured above don't work together well.

I like this for a colorful bedroom that uses hot pink.

For something more subtle but still using the hot pink something like this might be nice

Other possible inspiration pics

Can you tell us what you love, like, dislike about the photos I posted so we have a better idea of what you want.

Eliesha Rae thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • ptreckel
    19 days ago

Do you own the bright colored bed frame? A good start. Do you plan on embellishing the existing cupboards with trim. OK. I would go with one of your paint inspirations. I was drawn to those in Option B. Walls, woodwork, cupboard in bold colors. My inclination would be pure white bedding…to start with. But begin with the basics that you have…and jump in. Add as you go. Art? Fabric for draperies?

Eliesha Rae thanked ptreckel
  • Jennifer Hogan
    19 days ago

Not sure why my second pic didn't post, trying again . . .

• Jennifer Hogan
    19 days ago

Pick the color scheme that will give you the feeling you want. Then pick bedding. Then work on area rug and curtains, then the walls then accessories.

• Eliesha Rae
    Original Author
    18 days ago

@ptreckel - I do own the bedframe, that's my big investment piece that I don't want to change.

Yes, I'm going to add DIY moulding to the wardrobes Based on paint colour combo B - would you paint the built-in wardrobe the same colours as the wall? Or a matching tone, different shade? Or match to the ceiling? Trim? Different colour? Contrast moulding details? This is where I'm getting a bit stuck and finding it hard to visualise. And what about the IKEA tallboy? I think I'd like to do a DIY makeover on that as well.

I definitely see where you're coming from with the white bedding, and that was kind of my first thought too, but I wouldn't be able to keep it clean. My dog sleeps in my bed and I'm a morning showerer, I would have to wash it daily 😬 - that's why I was thinking maybe tonal pink, so the walls, bed and bedding are all tones of each other...

And if the bed, bedding and walls are all pink, then maybe the wardrobe would be better in a contrast colour, otherwise it's going to be A LOT of pink

• Eliesha Rae
    Original Author
    18 days ago

@ptreckel - some rough ideas...

• ptreckel
    18 days ago

I would get large sized adhesive samples of the colors that you are thinking of doing and place them where you are considering locating them. I do think the white with either red or black trim and brass knobs will look good. The white will break things up. Then…you could paint your smaller dresser in, maybe, the gold that is on the ceiling. Just a thought! A way of bringing that color down to the lower level. Going back to your bed coverings. People are suggesting patterned duvet covers, etc. I am still in the white camp. I get your concerns. I, too, have a dog. She sleeps on the bed. On a beach towel over our white bedding. I guess I would rather have something I can throw in the laundry on hot with bleach than a patter that could be quite dirty and I wouldn’t see it! BUT…I do think having layers of colorful bedding, perhaps a woven ethnic inspired throw, would be lovely. One that pulls in the stronger colors, including the red of your bed. I think pattern could come into your room in an area rug. Or a funky patterned chair in the corner. Or your art. A few months ago, a very talented woman who makes her own African inspired artworks and loves vibrant colors posted her rooms here. Search Houzz for postings by ilikefriday. You will be inspired by her use of color, art, etc. to get the aesthetic that she wants. I applaud your willingness to go BOLD. And it CAN work!

• PRO
    lisedv
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Here are a few ideas...

- Paint the metal headboard a brighter hot pink

- Place a 10' runner at the end of the bed (Ruggable)

- Install and paint green mouldings on your wardrobe, replace knobs with brass

- Install white cabinet lights (Ikea) on top of wardrobe

- Paint your dresser light grey and install peel & stick decals or wallpaper (Etsy)

- Brass cones and stands for jewelery

- Install white with black detail roman shades

- Tall black vintage floor mirror and pouf in hot pink

- Find bedding similar to shown with tailored bed skirt, assorted accent pillows

- Black nightstands (Amazon /pair)

- Brass sconces with arm

- Paint the ceiling a dark avocado, white mouldings, limish walls

- Artwork you like to coordinate with colour scheme

• njmomma
    17 days ago

C2 Paint Bedrooms · More Info

San Francisco Decorator Showcase 2016 · More Info

San Francisco Decorator Showcase 2016 · More Info

• Jennifer Hogan
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

@ Eliesha Rae

I wasn't saying you needed to pick a floral bedspread, I was asking what colors you like together, what feeling you were aiming for.

I love layering reds and pinks, or pinks and oranges. I like bright colors, I like muted colors, but I don't usually put them together. There are exceptions, but the values and composition have to be just right. I don't see your bed working well with the comforter.

I don't see any muted shades in the inspiration pictures you showed. I can't find a flower or bird or butterfly with this color combination. I often look to mother nature for guidance on color, she has exquisite taste.

• Eliesha Rae
    Original Author
    16 days ago

@lisedv

Thank you so much for the thoughtful and thorough response! I think I really do like the idea of black/neutral window treatments, it feels like it grounds the hecticness a bit...

I love what you've put together, but not the lime green - however, you have made me rethink keeping things a bit more tonal, rather than AS contrasty as I had it...

The bedframe is already NEON pink, couldn't be any brighter. Then I was thinking lots of tonal pink/red, with green as the accent colour

I don't own the artwork I've used, it's just to show example of how I could tie the colours together, although I do LOVE the painting above the bed, if I go ahead with this project it might need to go on the wishlist.

• Eliesha Rae
    Original Author
    11 days ago

@jennifer hogan

The neon pink bed is a non-negotiable, I already own it, so I have to work with what I've got. Maybe these images will help you see the vision a little more?

• Eliesha Rae
    Original Author
    11 days ago

OK - here's where I'm currently at...

I'm thinking *almost* pink/cream walls - a more intense dusty pink cornice with burgundy ceiling and dark green moulding around the door/window.

Either dark green or black moulding on the wardrobes (I'm thinking maybe black, so as not to overdo it with the green?).

Black/neutral geometric pattern curtains/pelmet.

A black/neutral rug with red trim.

Keep my wooden bedside tables.

Bedding in deep green with pink/burgundy accessories.

Accessories/artwork in red/pink/green/black/white to tie everything together.

Should I keep the blue light? Tie in with a few blue pieces? Or get rid of the blue altogether?

• Eliesha Rae
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Just for a wholistic view - this is my working colour palette for the whole house...

• ptreckel
    10 days ago

Love your vision! Different. Fun. Can’t wait to see it come to life…

• njmomma
    10 days ago

So different and so fun! Love the colors.

Please post pictures as you go along. Can’t wait to see your vision come alive!