pugger01
11 days ago

Large room. Medium light.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 days ago

Large room. Medium light.

Chroma is how to calibrate white paint colors to dim, moderate, abundant quality/quantity of inherent light.

These are in order least Chroma (aka most neutral) to Navajo which has the most Chroma.

Gardenia is same hue family, has the most Chroma, is most similar to Navajo for a monochromatic vibe.

Navajo is technically a color because it has too much Chroma (colorfulness) to fit into a neutral category. Which makes it easier to pair with a color of white. Because it brings a healthy bump of Chroma to a +white combination ensuring a necessary level of contrast in terms of Chroma.

A discernible level of contrast in Chroma is a good thing because when a color of white/off white shows up looking dirty or dingy it's - typically - because there isn't enough contrast with an adjacent white or off white. Navajo isn't a white or off white so it's not an issue.

• pugger01
    Original Author
    5 days ago

I tried putting the Navajo White on the walls and it just looks too white. Same with Linen White. Is there another color just a bit darker along those lines that someone can suggest?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 days ago

So more nuance (value/chroma) than Navajo and Linen for the walls and then you're still looking for a color of white to go with - assume for trim/doors?

• pugger01
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Yes!

• wdccruise
    4 days ago

Did you take a look at the BM 947 Navajo Whitewebpage? It suggests Matching Colors for the trim and Similar Colors as options.

"I tried putting the Navajo White on the walls and it just looks too white."

If you click through the four lighting options on the webpage, you see that the color changes significantly with the lighting. Compared with other white paints, Navajo White really isn't very white...or bright. Its LRV is only 78 while, the LRV of Chantilly Lace, BM's whitest white, is 90.

• pugger01
    Original Author
    7 hours ago

I finally decided on Ben Moore gentle cream. Is there a white semi gloss trim that would go with both gentle cream (living room) and decorators white (bathrooms). Thanks!