Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_bullock43

Can I fix my brick color that grout ruined?!

Nicole Bullock
last month

Help!!!! Our tile guy finished the grout and it totally changed the color of the brick!! Please tell me this can be fixed?! Pictures are before grout and after.

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Zumi
    last month

It’s the same color brick. That’s the difference that grout makes. If you want it darker, then wait for that to cure and use an epoxy grout colorant.

• Nicole Bullock
    Original Author
    last month

The brick is a lot lighter now. I think it got the “haze” I keep reading about. We bought an acid wash to try to fix it. I am hoping this helps!!!

• millworkman
    last month

" We bought an acid wash to try to fix it. I am hoping this helps!!! "

Let the installer suggest and attempt the fix. You purchase the material and you try and clean and you own it, he will wash his hand's and say you own it now, your problem.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

Now it is you problem . Why did you try anything except a good talk with the guy who did the work. Do you see a smaple before it was done? For me you bigger issues with that floor and that brick. Waht room is this ?

• PRO
    Minardi
    last month
    last modified: last month

You grout bag that kind of install. There won't be grout on the face of the tile. Just in the joints. There is zero chance of haze on the field tile. Grout is piped into the spaces like cake icing.

Tile just looks radically different with different colors of grout. It does look like it's absorbed some of the moisture from the grout, but that is it. 1:1, look at each of the dark red tiles. They still look dark red. If there was grout residue on them, they would look pink.

• Nicole Bullock
    Original Author
    last month

Is there anything I can do to get the bricks looking how they did?! I’m so upset! I absolutely loved how it looked!!!

• millworkman
    last month

Most likely not without starting over.

• Hellogardener
    last month

As Zumi said, a grout colorant

• HU-910663146
    last month

Buy the grout colorant. It is like paint for grout. Will take a while to apply to the grout but will fix your problem.

• Boxerpal
    last month

I think you could hire another company if you do not trust this current company to restore the brick back to the original. It would be expensive and possibly difficult to live there while they restore the brick.

It seems like the first photo has areas of gray that seemed to match your floors better. But, it might be deceptive because the paper is on the floor. The reality for me is the floors are not my cup of tea. I would want oak floors with the brick or painted German schmear brick with your current gray tile floors.

I wish I could see your inspiration photo. I am sure you are creating a beautiful space. I am just finding it difficult to see these combinations.

But.. Here are some images that make me think of your space. But notice the floors work with the brick

Neutral Rustic Transitional Basement · More Info

Edgy Industrial in the Heights · More Info

Chelsea Studio Apartment · More Info

Wapping Warehouse Conversion London · More Info

Portfolio 2 · More Info

Bright and Industrial Loft in Boston · More Info

great room. · More Info

• eld6161
    last month

To me, the grout is too thick. This is a do over. What would coloring do? Why did they touch the brick when you just wanted pointing?

Get it removed, and refine. Show the new person your original photo.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last month

As others have said, something was done wrong by the tiler. When I’ve used thin bricks like this in the past we piped it into the joints, but that was only after we had sealed the tiles with sealer to prevent the grout from sticking to the face. At this point, without knowing what products were used and whether they were sealed, no idea how to help you. Sure, muriatic acid might take the grout off the surface of the tiles and I guess you might as well test a small area in a corner since you dislike what’s there.

• millworkman
    last month

" Sure, muriatic acid might take the grout off the surface of the tiles and I guess you might as well test a small area in a corner since you dislike what’s there. "

And be careful as it may ruin the floors and windows as well. It is an acid.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last month

Tile laying and brick laying are different trades. Asking a tile guy to grout brick was a mistake.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

YOU shouldn't be doing anything until you get the guy back in there to have a look and figure it out. The fix would be on him. IF you start messing around then you have no recourse and it is all in your hands to fix.

Get him in there and have him try all these different things to see if he can fix it.

We'll keep our fingers crossed

• Nicole Bullock
    Original Author
    last month

This is a bathroom. It was meant to look rustic and industrial. I was happy until grout went in. What color grout colorant should I do?! The brick was on sheets so we couldn’t change how far apart they were. It’s from Floor and Decor. Here are a few pics of my inspiration… I also have dark floor pics with brick. I am happy with my floor choice. The picture doesn’t do it justice to be honest.

• millworkman
    last month

The problem is the size of the grout lines. Coloring it will still leave the giant amounts of grout, it will just be a different color, it won't go away or disappear, just be a different color. It will still basically as it does now.

• PRO
    Minardi
    last month

Ther is no tiler on the planet who would remove thin brick tiles from a preset mesh sheet to insall individually. Not unless you paint him about 10x what you are currently paying. The issue is the light grout, vs the shadow spaces before grouting. It optically affects how you view the brick. There is no grout haze on the brick. The brick is the same color it always was. What you "see" is an optical illusion. Just like the illusion below. The main images are the same color.

• Nicole Bullock
    Original Author
    last month

You’re so right!!! But the bricks were on sheets. I couldn’t have changed the lines unless we removed them from the sheets. And besides, it’s already up so I’m kind of stuck!! 🥲

• Nicole Bullock
    Original Author
    last month

Minardi - should I darken the grout somehow? What color would you recommend?

• HU-910663146
    last month

If you have some of the brick sheets around, try different colors of grout colorant on those sections.

• thinkdesignlive
    last month

I’d be inclined to paint it all - depending on your other elements in the room I can’t say to do dark vs light. But you’ll still get the texture and rustic feel. I actually think that might look better than the dark brick with the flooring you have.

• M. Vogel
    last month

Definitley do not do anything until yoi talk to the contractor first. I did that mistake before and the contractor just called it my problem and walked off…

• M. Vogel
    last month

The brick is definitely not the same color…

• Nancy in Mich
    last month

There is a company in England that makes brick stain. They do several colors, so you can probably get something close to what the bricks originally were. You will have to stain each brick independently.
    Here is the UK company: https://dyebrick.com/gallery/index/category/239-restorations
    Here is one in Canada: https://www.permatint.com

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

What did your contractor say? Have they even attempted to remove the grout from the surface of the brick? The problem is in the way the grout was applied and removed. Get them in there to try to rectify this situation.

It is so apparent that the grout is what changed the tile color. I can't see how trying new grout color will help this without the old grout being removed ( if it even can ) .

Bring these people back to your home now. The more time you waste here , the less likely they will want to help you.

I hope you can get a resolve soon!

• millworkman
    last month

" There is a company in England that makes brick stain "

@Nancy in Mich, that is all well and good by the real issue from what i hear is the thick globbed mortar joints, which really changed the look more than the brick color.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio