Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_244756808

Does not match at seam

Jbean G.
14 days ago

We just had fantasy Brown granite installed a couple days ago. I understand that this type of granite has alot of movement, and is very tough to match up at the seams, however I'm having a tough time trying to get used to how this was matched up at the seams. The seam itself looks great and well well done, but it's the color difference at the seam that I'm having a tough time with. What's your opinion? Leave it, as the high movement of this granite is very tough to match up, or should the contractor fix this? Thanks

Comments (19)

• Jbean G.
    Original Author
    14 days ago

• Jbean G.
    Original Author
    14 days ago

• Jbean G.
    Original Author
    14 days ago

• Jbean G.
    Original Author
    14 days ago

• Jbean G.
    Original Author
    14 days ago

• Rho Dodendron
    14 days ago

IS the backsplash in the photos being ripped out? I'm more concerned about how it clashes with the beautiful granite, and I'm not a granite person, than unmatched pattern that you were forewarned about.

• Jbean G.
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Yes! We plan on definitely replacing the backsplash for sure! I'd like to go with something like a grayish glass subway tile possibly.. however yes I think this pattern is tough to match for sure. Although I was hoping they could have somewhat matched it better then that.. but maybe it was the best they could do given what they had? Maybe I should just accept it and move on. Thank you for your feedback 😊

• rebunky
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

The waterfall seam amazingly looks pretty good!

Maybe they had to sacrifice the angled perimeter seam due to you not purchasing enough material to work with???

Once that existing dated backsplash is replaced, it will look way better.

Fantasy Brown is beautiful! But, due to the busy veining, it takes more material and expense to get the seams to line up. That mismatch would drive me crazy. 🤪

Jbean G. thanked rebunky
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

Probably not enough material.......and

A skipped step in process:

That skipped step is where you go to the fabricator, and you literally create that template/seam right on the slab, with a translucent plastic, or your fabricator has the computer capacity for a mock up.

To get a seamless counter peninsula end to mid sink?? Nearly impossible due to the fact that no one slab is wide enough at about 66 inches.

You needed to waste a lot of material and use a book match pair.

You don't use strong veining in a kitchen with any turns, unless willing to pay for waste.

Please skip gray tile, get a soft white. There's enough going on: ) and yes, I am seeing the flooring.

Jbean G. thanked JAN MOYER
  • Jbean G.
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thank you everyone for your feed back! I think you are correct that they didn't want to sacrifice bad seaming in the waterfall. However we did purchase another consecutive lot slab as we also did the bathroom counters as well. I wish that they would have taken a somewhat darker piece to match up from that 2nd slab... Oh and also we were never offered to be at the templating before they cut it. I think that would have been nice to see exactly which sections were going where. Oh well you live and learn I guess. Maybe it won't bother me as much after the new backsplash is in . We'll see. Thank you!

• mvcanada
    14 days ago

I agree that a soft white colour is likely to look good with your counters. But that doesn't mean you are stuck with your only choice being a subway tile. There are so many shapes and patterns available.

Have a look at Tilebar website. They have lots of options and ideas. You can order sample bundles or you can get 5 samples for $5. You need to see the tiles in your space with your lighting to make a good choice. Some of the pictures below are from the Tilebar Nabi line - several options for shapes and colours.

If you have some good tile stores in your area, take a small sample of your counter and bring home some ideas - don't try to pick in the store where the lighting will be different that your home.

The pictures show the shape and pattern, not necessarily the colour that would be appropriate.

Once you've chosen your tiles, then the grout colour is the next choice. You can come back to Houzz for guidance or ask your tile store for recommendations.

Star and cross pattern

Arabesque

Fishscale

4 X 4 Montauk - this one might be a very nice choice for you.

Nabi Harlequin

Nabi Picket

Nabi Valor

Subway - vertical offset stack.

Subway tiles come in many sizes but there are also options for layout to add some interest over the traditional 1/2 offset pattern.

Jbean G. thanked mvcanada
  • Jbean G.
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Oh I should post what the other counter tops look like from the other slab...I wish they would have taken a section from the 2nd slab to match up better. Maybe they couldn't? Either way I really wish we were at the templating , HOWEVER did not realize this was even an option as we were never told. I guess I'll need to get used to it now🤷🤔

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    14 days ago

"...maybe it was the best they could do given what they had?"

Yes.

"Maybe I should just accept it and move on."

Yes again.

They are fabricators, not magicians. You picked a stone with lots of movement, not them. You can't get out of a mismatched slab at an angled seam no matter how many slabs you buy.

Jbean G. thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Jbean G.
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Here's the other half of the kitchen.

• chloebud
    14 days ago

Solid color backsplashes can still have pattern. I would want the Fantasy Brown to pull the focus with a simple backsplash.

Jbean G. thanked chloebud
  • dan1888
    14 days ago

This is your finished product to look at going forward. You don't wait for an offer to template. You do evrything when inspecting and choosing your stone. You establish and verify all seams before the slabs can be bought and sent to the fabricator. And you inspect the product before it leaves the shop. That's how it has to be to avoid something you don't like.

Jbean G. thanked dan1888
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    14 days ago

This is a great looking counter made from a natural material. With the left to right shading in the stone you would likely never have gotten that seam better with CONSECUTIVE slabs. If you had purchased bookmatched maybe.

Jbean G. thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

Why you think twice on bold veining is right here.......Mother Earth.

Even an E stone will not allow it, when this is what you want for direction.

Jbean G. thanked JAN MOYER