Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerdyp

Update: Asking for help with wall color for my newly renovated kitchen

gerdyp
last year
last modified: last year

I’m excited to share my ALMOST finished renovated kitchen. This project took about two years to complete. Reason being my husband built the cabinets. It was well worth the wait because they turned out beautiful! The drawers are full pull and soft close, and the cabinets are now 14” deep and have soft close hinges as well. A trash pullout was added. We removed the bulkhead and took the cabinets to the ceiling, which makes the room feel bigger. The new overhead lighting is an awesome addition which I utilize a lot. Another change for me is the single bowl sink. There will be no going back to a double bowl sink for me, ever. I also wanted a 36” range. DH suggested getting rid of the useless corner cabinets and placing the range in their place. I said brilliant! There was no storage lost in doing this but actually gained. Just as he thought he was done building cabinets, I came up with my own brilliant idea and asked him if he could build six more for a butler pantry. There was a small corner pantry where the butler pantry is located now. A small bathroom was turned into my fabulous new walk in pantry. This kitchen makes me so happy I can’t stay out of it!

For the color experts out there, I need to ask your help in picking a paint color to finalize this renovation. I’m not thinking white because there would be no contrast with the window trim and pass through window shelf. The cabinets are BM Stone Hearth. My thoughts on color have been leaning to a different shade of taupe (don’t know if it should be lighter or darker), or a gray with a touch of blue, or maybe a griege? The double windows face west so lots of afternoon sun. My husband did such a wonderful job and I want to choose the right color that will work harmoniously and pull everything together. I welcome your thoughts on whether my color picks are the right direction to go.

Comments (38)

• Julie Praus
    last year

Very nice! You might get flak for the range location, but I have mine on a diagonal and have loved it for 30 years. You are right about no wasted space in the corner. I’m not very good with colors, but someone will help there. Congrats!!

gerdyp thanked Julie Praus
  • lucky998877
    last year

Wonderful job! Congrats on your new kitchen, and on having an awesome husband :) I would finish priming over the old yellow paint to get a true sense of other paint color options.

gerdyp thanked lucky998877
  • hhireno
    last year

Congratulations, that looks marvelous.

gerdyp thanked hhireno
  • girlnamedgalez8a
    last year

It is beautiful!!!

gerdyp thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    last year

Congratulations! It looks beautiful.

gerdyp thanked Rachiele Custom Sinks
  • kculbers
    last year

Lovely! That is a wonderful pantry!

gerdyp thanked kculbers
  • gerdyp
    Original Author
    last year

Julie Praus I've read the posts and realize the corner setup isn't for everyone. I'm so glad we did it though, it works great for me. I gained more prep space to the right of the range as well.

• gerdyp
    Original Author
    last year

lucky998877 Thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely be taking away the letter holder and priming that wall. The yellow is a huge distraction. I do feel extremely blessed to have a husband so talented and willing to do these things for me! :)

• rebunky
    last year

Congratulations on your new kitchen!

Your husband did an amazing job on the cabinets.

The cabinet color, countertops, and marble backsplash look beautiful together.

I love the rich warm wood floors too and how your blinds tie in the floor color.

I think the corner stove works very well in your kitchen. Like you said, it gives you a decent amount of countertop space on the right of the range. Otherwise you would have had a tiny sliver if it was squeezed on the same wall as the fridge.

Kudos for keeping the eat-in kitchen table verse adding an island with stools. The table looks so comfortable and cozy!

Oh and I am so jealous of your pantry! Wonderful job. 💕

gerdyp thanked rebunky
  • jemimabean
    last year

Oh, wow! What a huge change. I can see why you’re so thrilled with it. I’m blown away by your husband’s skill with the cabinets. Enjoy!

gerdyp thanked jemimabean
  • PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    last year

@gerdyp Very impressive woodworking. Always glad to hear of projects like yours that have a happy ending.

gerdyp thanked Rachiele Custom Sinks
  • kriii
    last year

Stunning!

gerdyp thanked kriii
  • arlosmom
    last year

What a beautiful kitchen! You must be thrilled. Your husband is very talented.

gerdyp thanked arlosmom
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

Can I hire your husband? 🤪

• gerdyp
    Original Author
    last year

Connecticut Yankeeeee I'm asked that often! 😊

• sprtphntc7a
    last year

Great Job to you and DH!!! don't apologize for the stove! if it works for, that is all that matters!

BM suggests: these colors

i love 'Hushed Hue" #1520. it will give a monochromatic look. then u can add color with art, pottery, rugs, bowl of lemon/limes, spatulas, etc. and not have so much worry coordinating with walls and cabs! the other 3 are very specific.

if you do go with a color, i would go into the blue/gray or green/gray category, very soft, not 'in your face'

bring home lots of samples, look at different times of the day/night, cloudy/sunny days, natural and artificial light.

good luck!

gerdyp thanked sprtphntc7a
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

Gerdyp - such beautiful work. Your husband is very skilled indeed! Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen 👏🏻

gerdyp thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • Lynn Lou
    last year

Congrats on your new kitchen! You and your hubby did a great job. Enjoy!

I am no help on paint colors. I currently have probably 30 peel and stick samples for our foyer. Good luck!

gerdyp thanked Lynn Lou
  • gerdyp
    Original Author
    last year

sprtphntc7a Thank you! Your advice on lots of samples during different parts of the day on both sunny and cloudy days is spot on. I've done that with painted poster board before and it amazed me how different the color looked at different times. I may just try the peel and stick samples mentioned by Lynn Lou. I like the idea of a soft monochromatic look.

• Jae K
    last year

I love the appreciation and joy in your post. Congratulations on your new kitchen, pantry, and for landing a husband who finishes what he started. :)

It’s all very lovely!

gerdyp thanked Jae K
  • gerdyp
    Original Author
    last year

Jae K LOL! Thank you, I am very fortunate in that respect.

• Andee
    last year

Oh. Wow.

See Marie Killam's website for color choices. Really - the correct paint choice now is important, and because choosing can be tricky and the results disappointing, get good guidance now.

gerdyp thanked Andee
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

Hang on to that husband, he's worth his weight in gold. I'd borrow him even just for a couple of days for some little things here, if I could ;)

I'm not really great on naming specific colors either. I have stick on samples from Samplize all over this office, including the one for Hale Navy I was so sure I wanted. It's black in this light even with windows both ends of room so a 'no go'.

gerdyp thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • gerdyp
    Original Author
    last year

Andee that is exactly why I chose to ask everyone here rather than try and pick myself. I am absolutely horrible at picking color. Thanks for the website information, I'll check it out. I want to eliminate the need for a repaint because of a bad color choice!

• Mrs Pete
    last year

Your husband built those cabinets? Wow, they look great.

I have pantry envy.

gerdyp thanked Mrs Pete
  • gerdyp
    Original Author
    last year

He certainly did. The man never ceases to amaze me! I'll forward the compliment to him. This project made him a very happy man...A LOT OF NEW TOOLS!! 😄

• arcy_gw
    last year

Great use of the dreaded wasted corner space in a kitchen!!

gerdyp thanked arcy_gw
  • HU-451760342
    last year

Looks awesome! Great job!

gerdyp thanked HU-451760342
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    last year

Looks great!

gerdyp thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • gerdyp
    Original Author
    last year

Update: The wall with the windows has been primed and I've narrowed down some colors. They are in the same order along side each cabinet. There is an additional color added in the under cabinet lineup. I’m having a hard time deciding. Do any of these work or should I do something else? I'd love to hear your feedback!

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

Hi gerdy- it’s a bit hard to see the actual colors. Can you post better pix? Also - for better results, paint the actual wall and see what it looks like. You may have to re-prime after choosing, but it’ll be more accurate.

• gerdyp
    Original Author
    last year

I forgot to add this last picture. This makes it a bit easier to distinguish the colors.

• vjs12
    last year

What is the backsplash tile? Very nice kitchen.

• gerdyp
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much vjs12! The tile is Sahara Carrara marble.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

Absolutely stunning!

gerdyp thanked FrameMyMirror
  • hazwe
    last year

You might try reposting something about "color help" in your title, or starting a new post with such a title. I've noted there are some talented color experts in Houzz, but they are probably not seeing yours because the plea r color help is buried in your thread.

• gerdyp
    Original Author
    last year

Good point hazwe hojo. Thank you for the suggestion.