Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thecollectorshub

Kitchen Before and After

I bought this house in 2012. The kitchen was outdated and I've wanted to do a remodel since day one. I started my remodel in May 2020 and after many delays because of the Pandemic, its finished!

Comments (40)

• chiefy
    2 years ago

Nice! I love how bright and crisp everything looks.
    Were the sliders always there or are they new?

• L A
    2 years ago

Love it, very fresh looking!!

• Micheline Hellwege
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The sliding doors?  Yes, they were there before the remodel.  The table was that 90s oak.  Haven't decided what I want for a new dining set so I painted it.  That will do until I decide what I want.

• Micheline Hellwege
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh, please excuse the mismatched throw rugs.  I have an elderly dog who's having trouble walking on the bare floors.

• Jennifer M
    2 years ago

Looks great!

• M Riz
    2 years ago

What a difference, enjoy your kitchen.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

Nice and fresh! I hope you enjoy it so much.

• cwcf185
    2 years ago

Looks beautiful! Are your pendants from Bicycle Glass Lighting?

• Micheline Hellwege
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, those are the small swell pendant from Bicycle Glass Lighting.  I really like them.  Nice substantial glass.  You don't have to be afraid to handle them.

• Anna Devane
    2 years ago

What a great transformation you must be so happy

• Micheline Hellwege
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you.  I am.  My top priorities where more counter space, cabinets that went to the ceiling and seating at the island.  I worked with Jason at Dream Kitchens in Brighton, Michigan. He did a great job at putting together a design that incorporated all three.

• cwcf185
    2 years ago

@Micheline Hellwege I thought I recognized them! I have the blue Swell in a semi-flush light, and also did the bathroom vanity light in the Lunar globes. I love them!

• rebunky
    2 years ago

Wow! Amazing transformation! Your attention to detail shows.

I think your table turned out adorable with the blue top. Can you please tell me where you got your bar stools?

• Micheline Hellwege
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I ordered the bar stools  at Bed Bath and Beyond.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Love the crown, to the ceiling uppers, glass pendants. Great choices.

• Christine Wagner
    2 years ago

Beautiful! You did a great job! I LOVE the blue pendant lights! I have those saved in my ideabook for some day! 😊

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Lovely!

• cubby14
    2 years ago

Great update.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

Beautiful! I like the orientation of the island much better, and I really like your little eating nook by the patio door.

• PRO
    CAGE Design Build
    2 years ago

Love the contrast in cabinet materials and the pops of blue you have for a splash of color!

• PRO
    PRM Custom Builders
    2 years ago

Incredibly inviting and love the cabinets to the ceilings!

• PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    2 years ago

This was a job well done. I especially enjoy the lights above the island add a unique touch.

• cupofkindnessgw
    2 years ago

Perfect. The pendants are amazing, such a rich color.

• Micheline Hellwege
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The lights are wonderful.  I would highly recommend them.  And, they're not as fragile as they look.  I don't have to worry about breaking them when changing a bulb or dusting them.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

Very nice!

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    2 years ago

Great job!

• Ac Lb
    2 years ago

Beautiful transformation

• kj s
    2 years ago

I love how the simplicity of the wood in the lowers complements the complexity of the floor.

• Gerry
    2 years ago

Beautiful, and it looks like you added storage in the dining area. Great transformation.

• barncatz
    2 years ago

Great transformation - how fun! I don't know how your eating area looked before, but the tall cabinets framing the window were a beautiful choice!

(I have a 13, maybe 14 year old mini dachshund and tiled floors. He has to eat on a rubber "cush" mat - not attractive but at least he doesn't do the splits!)

• Micheline Hellwege
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There were no cabinets by the patio doors before.  I had a bookshelf on one side.  I had extra in the cabinet budget so we added these two pantries.  It was a very good decision.  

I had the floors put in two years prior.  The sample looked so subdued but its a much bolder pattern then I expected.  The grain of the white oak is more subtle than red oak so it blends pretty well.

• silyas99
    2 years ago

Looks so pretty! Did you use a water based stain for your lower cabinets? Can you share the stain color? I am trying to achieve a similar look and found an option in Rubiomonocoat but not sure if it’s a durable choice for kitchen!

• Micheline Hellwege
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The lower cabinets were prefinished in Pecan stain

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    2 years ago

Great work!

• enajasereht
    2 years ago

Excellent!

• gdionelli
    3 months ago

Gorgeous! We love our Bicycle Glass pendants.

• PRO
    CAGE Design Build
    3 months ago

Great choice in rotating the island. It definitely opens up the kitchen.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 months ago

Didn't see this post when it was originally made but your kitchen looks awesome. Great job!

• PRO
    Aardvark Architecture
    2 months ago

So much brighter, well done