Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mydeals1013

Community mail box in front of my house

mydeals1013
6 years ago

Hi, We are building a new house. the building process started a week before. today we saw that they have placed the community mailbox in front of our house even though there are lot of space at the end of the street. we do not know what to do.. I think it is the builders decision to choose the place for community mailboxes. Will they change the location of the mailbox if we ask them.. i dont think they will do :( .. It is heartbreaking to see such a big mailbox standing in front of our house :( :(..... has anyone come across this problem??

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

The U.S. Postal Service makes these decisions in cooperation with the developer. Might want to contact the developer and see if they can help facilitate a change. Don't hold your breath though.

• Denita
    6 years ago

Did they disclose this eyesore in your contract before you signed?

• rawegg
    6 years ago

would the relocation of mailbox to the end of street be good for everyone? You need to come up with a good reason why the change will be better for everyone, not just yourself.

• mydeals1013
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Flo Mangan Thanks, will Check with developer. Does it impact on resale price in the future?

Denita They mentioned in the contract that one or all utilities box may come in your lot and it will not given in any plan.

rawegg we are first one in that whole lane and not sure how others will feel about that.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Has the cement pad been poured yet?
  • mydeals1013
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes. They put cement pad with around 1 1/2 feet stone..
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    If not, act quickly and they might change locations. I did it once when we were early in the development of where we were building. Turn on the charm and some tears too! Lol. Good luck.
  • smitrovich
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Do you have a picture? Could you request they move the cluster mailbox to the side street of nearest corner lot? Being an eyesore is one issue, but you will also have people congregating in front of your house (both on foot and by car) to get their mail. I would bring this to the developers attention ASAP.

• mydeals1013
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    smitrovich, we don't have photo right now, I can get it eod. As you mentioned we will losing our privacy in front of our garage which is biggest concern for us as well as future buyers..
  • Denita
    6 years ago

I am stunned that the developer didn't have a planned space for the community mailboxes when the developer platted the community. Here in S Fl the community mailbox locations are generally at the entrance to each "sub-association" with a separate well defined area and guest parking for vehicles to pull up to the mailboxes, get your mail and go. The area does not impede on any of the actual homes. The only other locations for these community mailbox locations (within a community) are in the amenities area where the pool, tennis, some limited shopping for the community only is located.

To have the community mailboxes in the easement area in front of your home is extremely poor planning and has a negative impact on your home's value both in the short term and the long run.

• mydeals1013
    Original Author
    6 years ago

i called the city and they said that the location is decided by USPS. but i strongly believe it is the builder's choice :(

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

The builder has no part in the decision on where to locate these boxes. United States Postal Service is in charge, and they are not pleasant to deal with at all. You have to either convince the developer to deal with USPS or go to your own Post Master and plead your case. I bet your builder has had this problem before, which is why there is language in your contract giving them no real responsibility in this because they really have no say. The Developer has some stroke but if it isn't somehow in their best interest, they won't spend any capital on this either. However, if you can find a spot that might be better for all and then go to the developer and say you think it could affect the lot and home sales, you have an argument. Developers sell lots. Builder's buy lots.

mydeals1013 thanked Flo Mangan
  • mydeals1013
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone. We talked with our builder and they said we cannot do anything but we are sorry for this..

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I am sorry for your experience. I would go to local post office, not in a mean way, but say you need to talk to the Postmaster. Then, explain situation, bring photos and map of the section and with suggestion for an alternative place. You might not get it moved but you would have tried. No one is going to help you with this as I explained. Usually, these are placed so they are not too badly located. Wishing you luck. Don't give up!
  • Jeana Holso
    4 years ago

Who is responsible for taking care of a cluster mailbox, such as mowing the grass or trimming a tree branch?

• Brad
    4 years ago

If the concrete is poured, you will be hard pressed to get any sort of support, they will need to pour new pad, rip out old pad and re-mediate the area where the pad was ripped out.

• J C
    4 years ago

Dealing with this issue right now. I went under contract on my lot, closed on my home and have been living in it for 7 months. Today they moved the box in front of my home. I am livid! The builder lied and said that the USPS is responsible for the placement, but when I spoke to the Supervisor at the USPS he advised that they absolutely to do not decide the placement of the cluster boxes - they just service them. The subdivision is still under construction and it had been weeks at a time where construction materials were obstructing the mailbox and residents weren't receiving mail. The construction in that area is now complete, but they move the mailbox today.

• Shawn Hoy
    3 years ago

I am thinking of buying a new home on a lot in a new community and the mailbox bank is directly across the street. There are not any sidewalks on that side of the street and no where to park to pick up your mail. I asked if the builder would find a better spot, they said it has already been permitted for that spot. I feel this is a safety hazard as the street is not wide enough for someone to park to get their mail and cars to pass by. What can I do to get the mailbox moved if the builder is not receptive?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Not much chance of changing. Sorry.

• Raj Patel
    last year

Hi, I have similar issue with my new property. Anyone here had success moving the box?

• najlaamundson
    last year
    last modified: last year

First, I'm sorry. This would be incredibly frustrating and I would do what you are doing - working to get it off my property. BUT, in the case that you aren't able to change it, try to embrace it. Who knows what good may come from having the mailbox there. Maybe you'll meet your future favorite people or maybe having people come to your yard frequently turns out to be a blessing. I don't know. Just trying to think positively.

• Tara
    last year
    last modified: last year

I once had the community mailbox to the right of my driveway. I didn't find it a problem really, but then again, it was only big enough for the 20 or so houses on my street. Each street had their own "gang" mailbox.

• Jo Lee
    5 months ago

I recently purchased a lot from Perry to build a new home. It is a cul de sac lot with an island in the middle. We just found out there is a cluster metal mailbox bulit in the island facing the cul de sac lots (the houses are not built yet), we paid about $30K deposit for the earnest $ and some half deposit for the upgrade. The lot premium is $75K for the cul de sac larger size lot. In this situation, what options do we have? Thanks

• Jo Lee
    5 months ago

They are about to build the house in a few weeks. When I raised issue to the City, the code enforcer told me that the Developer did not set aside space for the mailbox for this particular street while there are spaces for the mailboxes in other streets for the mailboxes.

• arcy_gw
    5 months ago

The island seems a great place to me for the mail boxes. That keeps the burden of the monstrosity off any one person's property.

• Maureen
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Two locations in our neighbourhood, chosen by Canada Post, were objected to by many due to safety concerns: proximity to driveways, traffic flow, people getting out of their cars /drivers not paying attention and people crossing in the middle of the street to access without an intersection nearby. They did not change even with so many concerns. All this to say good luck with it being unsightly. As an fyi: after two people were hit, they were moved.

Just realized this post is 6 years old! If reading, hope it turned out better than you anticipated.

• Jo Lee
    5 months ago

Thbak you Maureen, safety is my concerns as residents may rush in and out to cul de sac island one way circle street while reisdents try to back out or kids playing in the cul de sac island, not desinged for both ways traffic

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH