Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ranchowner

painting ranch house fireplace

ranchowner
10 years ago
Our ranch house has a horizontal brick fireplace. The bricks are mixed wide and skinny sizes in a pinkish hue and parts of the brick are a little gray with soot from the fireplace. The brick stretches from wall to wall. There is a raised ledge about 2' from the floor covered with dark green slate. The pink brick only covers 2/3rds of the wall, and the rest of the wall to the ceiling is covered with paneling. Any ideas would be appreciated on how to update this and make it more contemporary without spending lots of $.

Comments (43)

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Can you post another photo that shows the entire wall.....???
    ranchowner thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    The bricks shown in the photo look quite nice.
    ranchowner thanked Dytecture
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Hi Ranchowner. Just from this limited view, and so I could be quite wrong, I'm thinking ranch or not, I would leave the stone, and cover the wood to paint it a pale colour to co-ordinate with the stone. Find out why the fireplace is discolouring the stone and have that fixed. Not sure how I'd treat the hearth without more of a view, but the slate is showing its age so it does need to be replaced. The mantlepiece needs more striking decoration on it -- this pic is not very ranchy, but for the record it's a detail of a picture I found some time ago on deviantart.com. I like the colours for your fireplace. Where you use smaller items, group them closer together -- uneven numbers generally give the best composition in a group. Have fun.
    ranchowner thanked Rina
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Hover your cursor over the pic to see what I'm on about ...
    ranchowner thanked Rina
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    The stone is beautiful. I would get it cleaned.

The slate hearth may need to be replaced.

Consider removing the paneling.

Need more photos.
    ranchowner thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    HI -- I love the stone , it does not need to change . Give it a good cleaning with some TSP and have the function checked . Remove the wood paneling ,- too many conflicting lines against the stone . Cap the top of the stone the full length in distressed weathered wood to make it look like a big beam mantel. You could also have a live /natural edge wood mantel .Now for the hearth -- the green slate is bringing out the pink in the stone . So I think that should be re-moved and replaced with some dark grey /black slate tiles or dark grey /black granite tiles .
    ranchowner thanked lefty47
  • PRO
    MFW Construction
    10 years ago
    I never paint stone or brick. It's a very contemporary look and gets tired quickly. Stone/brick is classic, lives well within ranch styles. The stone you have is nicely done and is cleanable. Have a chimney sweep check the operation of the fireplace to diagnose the discoloration.
    You can change the slate to a solid stone like soapstone, granite or maybe flagstone would flow nicely.
    Painting the stone is pretty permanent and will lower your resale value. I would change the slate and the paneling long before the stone.
    ranchowner thanked MFW Construction
  • User
    10 years ago
    Totally agree with cleaning up the sandstone and working it in to your new décor. I would remove the paneling. Here are some sandstone features in rooms that have a nice clean modern appearance.

[houzz=
    Rocky River Living · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Family Rooms · More Info
    ]
    ranchowner thanked User
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    I agree with the others. I would not paint this stone. You could cover the paneling above the fireplace with vertical beadboards (not paneling) , or tear it off first. Is that a piece of slate that is missing? Or has it slipped down? I think the slate hearth could be refurbished to bring out the colors. But, as Rina said, you need to find out why the soot staining is there. Has the chimney been checked and cleaned recently?
    ranchowner thanked Marilyn Wilkie
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    I have rarely, if ever, seen such solid agreement in Houzz comments .... do not paint the stone. Do not. The world has spoken. The world likes your stone. :-)
  • PRO
    2Stone Designer Concrete
    10 years ago
    Change the hearth, change the wall, leave the stone.
    ranchowner thanked 2Stone Designer Concrete
  • ranchowner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for all your comments and postings. Here is a picture of the entire wall.
    I like the idea of removing the paneling. Also hadn't thought of placing a wood mantel above the stone. The discoloration is from a previous owner's burning of wood. After many washings, there is still a faint shadow of gray. Since there is a gas insert in the space now, it won't get darker. Thanks all
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Less is more. The fireplace itself is our work of art. Let is shine.

Notice the photos you have in your idea book of fireplaces. They all have nothing on them, except the photo below, which has a very simple arrangement.

You may want to reconsider all the little items you have on the fireplace.

Would be happy to help if you want suggestions.

[houzz=
    Surrey Downs, Bellevue, Wa · More Info
    ]
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    ranchowner, your room will look great with the paneling gone.
  • PRO
    MFW Construction
    10 years ago
    Better photo. I would remove the paneling, skim coat that wall to match the room. Knock the stone cap off and place a wood mantle instead about 12" deep in a darker color. Instant depth for the room.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    What a great room. I wouldn't even remove the paneling; just paint it the same color as the wall. Then put a single fabulous piece of art or sculpture or pottery on the mantel. This happens to be a feelie by Rose Cabat, my neighbor who is still making them at the age of 100 (this month).
  • mmers
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't paint the stone either and I'm someone who has painted my brick fireplaces in my last 2 homes. I don't regret at all painting the brick - they were ugly colours and painting them white was the best thing possible. But this stone is nice - leave it.
  • PRO
    Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
    10 years ago
    i wouldn't recommend painting, either
  • PRO
    Nancy Sanford Interiors
    10 years ago
    I agree with most don't paint!
  • PRO
    SoYoung Mack Design, Assoc. AIA
    10 years ago
    Scenario # 1:
    • Leave stone facade as is.
    • Leave green slate hearth as is.
    • Replace wall paneling with sheetrock or plaster finish in a lighter tone of green-gray that works with both hearth and gray in stone.
    • Paint outer metal surround of fireplace box a light bronze or antique brass finish,
    or apply an additional metal frame w/ patina over FP box surround to soften color transition from stone to black FP box.
    • Add box cushions to the hearth in a tone of green-gray between hearth color and wall color for extra seating. See attached photo.

Scenario # 2:
    • Leave stone facade as is.
    • Replace the hearth with a dark gray slate slabs or 24" tiles.
    • Replace wall paneling with sheetrock or plaster finish in a lighter tone of gray.
    • Paint outer metal surround of fireplace box a light bronze or antique brass finish,
    or apply an additional metal frame w/ patina over FP box surround to soften color transition from stone to black FP box.
    • Add box cushions to the hearth in a tone of gray between hearth color and wall color for extra seating. See attached photo.

Hope this helps. I really think adding bronze or an antique metal frame around the black firebox will help bring this facade together regardless of the choice in color of hearth and wall above.

Please see the fireplace I designed at the back of attached photo. The FP was originally painted white brick with marble tile hearth. It was mudded over and finished with gray Venetian plaster. The FP opening was banded with stainless steel, and hearth tiles were covered with concrete. Pillows were added to the back.
  • Rebecca Scollan
    10 years ago
    I have the SAME fireplace and had the same paneling. The glue behind our paneling was so old, that the paneling came off very easily, and the sheetrock underneath was in perfect shape. There was old glue left behind, but nothing a sanding block couldn't handle. Prime the wall, then paint. Don't use a paint and primer in one, since the sheetrock was probably never primed. At least I wouldn't.

Also, your fireplace is most likely rough-cut marble like ours. DO NOT PAINT IT!!!! It's very porous stone and you will ruin it. That would be VERY unwise. My husband is a mason and he uses 600 Detergent (muriatic acid) to clean the marble. You can NOT use just anything to clean the marble. Also you have to be very careful not to get the stuff on your skin.

Our fireplace has black grout and the contrast looks really sharp. You could always re-grout with a different color. These days you can get grout in any color you want.

My last tip is about the slate. This would be the most expensive thing to replace if you want it to look nice. I don't like the idea of tile personally, but to each his own. I think you should redo the wall first and clean the marble, then see how the slate looks and if you still want to do it. If you decide you still want to change it, I would go to a stone/granite supplier and ask where their remnant section is. Make sure to measure your hearth before you go. See if they have any remnant slabs of stone that you could use. Our hearth matches the surrounding marble.

Good luck and PLEASE DON'T paint the FP!
    ranchowner thanked Rebecca Scollan
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I like SoYOung's idea of painting the gas insert face to make it blend with the stone.
    ranchowner thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I must respond to Rina's comment about the slate showing its age. I think it's supposed to. It's already millions of years old, so I'm not sure another 40 or 50 years would make a difference. ;-)
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    I Love the fireplace . Paint the paneling. It will be a lovely room. I too have painted my ugly brick fireplace. But, this is a handsome stone fireplace . Very different!!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Could you take a photo of the slate up closer? I could be wrong, but it looks like maybe some of the grout is missing and a piece of slate is missing by the gas insert? It may just need a little TLC.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    V funny, Groveraxle. I've lived with slate all over the place for nearly 70 years (slate is/was beeeeg in South Africa) and believe me, in building terms it shows its age. It flakes (oy, does it flake!), it breaks, it chips -- which is what the slate I see in this pic seems to be doing. If it could be refurbished in some way, or I'm seeing squiff, great. It's a wonderful colour. And I like slate, when I'm not sweeping the flakes from my chimney up from the paving. Granted, that gets the western sun.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    If you are able to get the slate up to snuff, it should be sealed.
  • Starbella
    10 years ago
    I like the stone.
  • tmcfarland
    9 years ago
    This is my almost MY fireplace. Our hearth is sandstone also and Hubby made a new cedar mantle. I think if you lose (paint?) the paneling & add a deeper, darker mantle/ledge it will look better.
  • ranchowner
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks to all who commented. We removed the paneling and put sheetrock over the stone. Painted the new wall a light khaki color. Have decided not to replace slate. Thinking of spray painting the black surround a gunmetal color.

• Rina
    8 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Any chance of a pic?

• PRO
    Five Star Painting of Austin
    6 years ago

Glad to hear you found a great option! Do you have pictures?

• ranchowner
    Original Author
    6 years ago

After shot with the wood removed. The paint is lighter in the daylight.

• sherilyndraper
    last year

We have the exact same stone on our fireplace and we were extra tired of it looking dated. Unlike those here, I chose to do a gray paint wash on the stone and I love the way it turned out. The natural variation of pigment in the stone still comes through, and the lovely shapes of the stone are still a feature, but the gray will serve us better. I am waiting for a new FP screen (the bronze is just wrong in this photo. Also, painter’s tape still in place.). Just thought I’d add a different perspective to the conversation. We also had the same paneling above the fireplace. We chose to paint it, but I am considering removing the panels so that we get rid of the seam between panels. I would also like to replace the small wooden ledge with a larger, nicer, piece of wood. And the build-in next to the fireplace is likely getting a coat of paint soon. In this era, the wood used for build-ins and cabinets was not great quality.

ranchowner thanked sherilyndraper
  • ranchowner
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Nice solution. Thank you for all your wonderful feedback.

Just so you can see the evolution of the fireplace, I attach a photo. Brick remains the same. I did get some gray cushions to cover the slate, and found a wonderful metal wall piece that acts as a focal point on the long wall. Still not happy with the color of the wall. Maybe repainting the wall will be the next step.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

It looks pretty darn good!

• HU-787167202
    last year
    last modified: last year

You will be sooo thankful you didn't ruin your stone with paint once this fad passes!!!

• Rina
    last year

Looking great. I love that there's an air of playfulness in the way you decorated the mantel. It makes me smile.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

It looks great!

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    last year

Looks good!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

For this fireplace I think keeping the stone was a good choice. I love painted brick but painted stone doesn't always turn out well.

• njmomma
    last year

Looks so good!