Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kstephens124

Keep wood? Or drywall it?

Kara Stephens
11 days ago
last modified: 11 days ago

Would you keep the wood and paint it? Or convert window wood to drywall?, leaving other side wood?

TV will go on inside wood wall.

Thinking of adding electric fireplace at the current drywall end.

This is a Tri-level home. This is the only room with Wood paneling in the house. It is the family room on the garden level. We plan to add a steel cable railing and cut down the wall by the stairs. We plan to have white trim and BM Classic gray wall thorugh out. Floor will be updated to a White Oak 6".

Here is youtube: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5_7qEC8i6_4

Here is house listing: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/745-W-Fir-Ct-Louisville-CO-80027/13232712_zpid/

Comments (14)

• Paul F.
    11 days ago

We need a lot more pictures. Is it a cabin? Is this a bedroom? Is the entire house wood??

Kara Stephens thanked Paul F.
  • Kara Stephens
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you Paul. I have updated the description and added video / photos from listing.

• tracefloyd
    8 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

It looks like the far wall has already been sheetrocked over. Take the remainder of the sheetrock down if you can and expose the wood.

Then paint all the wood in the room. Painted wood paneling is very charming and homey.

• palimpsest
    8 days ago

I would re-drywall the entire room. The drywall on the end wall seems really uneven and done with small pieces. It looks better in the real estate photos than it does in your own photos.

• K Laurence
    8 days ago

Agree with palimpsest, re-drywall entire room. i might be wrong, but it doesn’t look like nice wood paneling.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

It looks very different in your pictures than the real estate photos. I actually like the wood. The green wall looks a mess - that needs to be redone. I would also redo the floor.

Maybe consider just keeping the one wall as an interesting accent wall.

Good luck

• ci_lantro
    8 days ago

Floor will be updated to a White Oak 6".

Then rip all of the wood paneling out & drywall the entire room. Drywall on endwall very poorly done so rip that out, too.

• Boxerpal
    8 days ago

Congratulations on your new home. Very exciting for you.

I am so glad that I went to the real estate images. I was so overwhelmed by the unpacking that you have going on it was hard for me to see the space.

Here is a photo from the listing for others chiming in.

It is amazing how a professional real estate photographer with a bright flash bulb can transfor a space making it look both bigger and brighter...

Are you continuing the wood floors into the space with the same type of wood and color? If so I think maybe the wood needs to come down. Its hard because the photos look much better than the photo you showed us above.

This will wind up being a great space when you are done. A beautiful space with a big bowl of popcorn, snuggling while watching a great family movie.

• Kara Stephens
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Thank you for you kindness. We plan to bringn in new engineered wood in white oak. The photo you provided is the other angle and i am thinking of drywalling the window side and the stairs. the pony wall on stairs will come down and a new iron horizontal railing will go in.

i think the inside wood will be nice once painted as an accent.

we just figured out there is a fireplace cap on the green wall, so we might add that, and definitely re-drywall.

• Boxerpal
    8 days ago

You have some great ideas... Here is the other photo you speak of. You wrote...

We plan to add a steel cable railing and cut down the wall by the stairs. We plan to have white trim and BM Classic gray wall thorugh out. Floor will be updated to a White Oak 6".

A few more questions.. All new floors? Or only this space? I highly recommend all the floors match if you can swing it. Kitchens and bathrooms might be okay without the same floors but a space can be transformed by all one type of flooring. In your case wood floors throughout.

What is your trim going to be? Wood or white? Are you going to have the wood floors you put in be a similar color to the wood trim you have in the photo?

Gray? Are you sure? With that warm wood you are thinking for the floors you might be interested in a greige gray color that works with warm and cool tones. It can feel like gray in one light and other times a slightly more warmer color. A cool gray might fight with your warm space. When I say warm I mean like this image below.

See how the floors are a warm color but the wall are a cool almost neutral gray color

Dancers · More Info

• Kara Stephens
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Whole house will have same new floors. trim will be White. BM classic gray on walls is an off white greige color. similar to the photo you shared. going for very light colors as the space is small.

• Boxerpal
    8 days ago

PERFECT.. You got this! You will make it look stunning. Can't wait to see your updated photos. Yes Classic gray is a perfect neutral and will look beautiful.

Enjoy your new place.

• Paul F.
    8 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

This view taken from the top of stairs really miniaturizes the room. Its an 8 foot ceiling? It looks like there are hardwood floors under the carpet like this, right?