Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_193113115

Help with my kitchen layout please

K H
11 days ago

Hello! We're getting ready to kick off a kitchen renovation in our split level/split foyer home and I would appreciate any feedback! We will be removing a wall in the middle of the kitchen and adding an island. The kitchen will then be open to living and dining areas. Ceiling is 90in.

We cook quite a bit and have one kid. Would like space for casual entertaining.

Priorities:

Center the sink on the window(assuming it stays there).

Trash pullout

42" walkways preferred

Storage, there is no pantry, perhaps add pantry cab left of dishwasher.

Get rid of the orange pendant lights over our dining room.

Appliances:

30" slide in electric range, 24" dishwasher, over range microwave, 33" or 36" counter depth fridge, whatever fits best.

Below is a blank layout with measurements(taking out wall), ikea mockup, and before pics. Not married to ikea cabs, but considering.

Questions:

Is symmetry around the patio door important? Assuming dining table lights should be centered over table, which effects size of island.

Where to put lights in kitchen?

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 days ago

IMO proper venting is a must for a range , I sure hope an actual old style electric range . I never like kitchens open to LRS and I do not see much improvement in the function for the expense to remove walls and then new flooring. Often the best layouts are no islands but better function.

K H thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • K H
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thanks so much for your help!

We do plan to vent to the exterior above the electric range.

With the wall where it is currently, the walkways into the kitchen from both sides are quite tight at only 31". We are pretty committed to widening it some way. I'm not sure how else to do that without at least partial removal of that wall.

We did consider closing that walkway in front of the fridge instead of opening it but that would make it very dark in the stairs/foyer/living area as there would be only one window in that area (on the wall opposite from patio door).

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

Please post a drawing, fully measured of the EXISTING condition.

That means the walls, the windows, passages. Feet and inches for everything. Flat on paper and upload as a jpeg. Where everything is now.

• K H
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you!

I hope this is better.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Can you "attach" the living room dimensions and front door locale etc to that drawing. please?

Allllll of it matters: ).....

You have too much wish list for the space. That's unless you show on paper all the rest.

What you have, is potentially a really nice galley, because 10 feet width is not enough : )

Add the rest - and if you want a 36" cook? You need a 42 inch hood. Drawers all, and the only doors would be sink base. But you get a good working kitchen: )

• K H
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you that's so helpful!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

If you draw and measure living room, hall, all to front door?

There MAY be other good options - no way to tell until full context:)

• Buehl
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Based on your latest post (two above this one)...could you please check your measurements?

While there is an insignificant difference b/w the calculated and stated width of the Dining Room + Kitchen (1/2"), there is significant difference b/w the various walls of the Kitchen.

Is this an old house with "wonky" walls?

Edited to add:

OR, are you measuring from the outside of the interior walls, not the inside of the walls in the Kitchen? I.e., the measurements are not wall-to-wall, but wall-to-other side of wall in the case of the bottom wall and left wall

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

She's inside the walls I think: the error is probably at her wall between openings.

• K H
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Yikes! I was definitely mixing up inside and outside of the kitchen walls.

Below are all interior kitchen walls

Width:

Top Wall - 27.5+35+55.25 = 117.75"

Bottom Wall-56.25+31+30.5 = 117.75"

Depth:

Left Wall - 29 + 31.5+ 49+11.5 = 121"

Right Wall - 121"

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

You want too much!

You HAVE THIS

You "want" this, but it is a rather b.a.d kitchen with little to no counter space! Not much storage at ALL. The fridge will hem in all else

This is a better kitchen: ) from my earlier and you refine to the last 1/32 inch

so it depends you.

Or? You delay and do an addition, or you move.

To all who shall pass?

The single best thing you can teach yourself? Walls have a thickness, a tape measure is your friend, so too a scale ruler, and no computer is wise, until you use those elements and show a space in entirety.

All of the area. The kitchen doesn't live alone. No room does: )) and only so much poop fits in a bag.

• K H
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Thanks for the feedback, we certainly have a lot to consider.