Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_nau56

are body sprayers outdated?

Lisa Nau
12 days ago

I’ve been thinking about putting in body sprays in our master bath, but am hearing from realtors that they are outdated and some of the first things clients remove after buying a home that has them. Thoughts? I am wanting to go with a shower system but can’t decide on body sprayers.

Comments (18)

• rureadyinla
    11 days ago

Probably not as trendy but not sure why someone would just take them out unless they planned to overhaul the entire bathroom anyway. I do not think it by itself would hurt resale value, if that is what you are worried about. I would say get what you want.

I remember thinking about them back in 2005-06 when we adding a primary bathroom to our former house. Decided we would not really use them that much. When we remodeled our primary bathroom in our current house around 2016-17, it was not even a thought.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    11 days ago

My plumbing showroom doesn’t even display them anymore. In many places they are basically illegal due to water use restrictions. I’ve never had a client install them, a shower head and a handheld suffices for most people. You do you.

• Sue 430
    11 days ago

We had them in our shower before our remodel and they were a must for our recent remodel. i use them every day. so nice to be sprayed from a different angle, and nice for rinsing soap off. i dont know why anyone would want to remove them, they could just choose not to use them. And all the higher end places we looked had several on display

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    11 days ago

I’d never use them and would remove them in a remodel. I just don’t like the look of all that “stuff” in a shower. A simple nice shower head and a handheld too. But, if you like the idea, go for it and don’t worry about anyone else. That alone would not stop me from buying a home.

• PRO
    Minardi
    11 days ago

They NEVER get used past the first 2 weeks. People kick themselves for spending the extra 5K on on the valves and sprayers needed. They'd rather have spent that on prettier tile, or a better vanity.

• Helen
    11 days ago

I think like any other remodel or custom build, the only thing you should consider is whether YOU will find it worthwhile and not what some mythical person might in the future.

For me it would be moot since California does not allow one to be able more than one water feature at a time in a shower. You can have a handheld or multiple hand helds plus multiple overheads but only one will work at a time. There is an exception if your shower is so enormous that functionally two people would be using it at the same time and no one would be using multiple shower heads if they were alone.

When I did a gut remodel I added features that were important to me and wouldn't necessarily be desirable to a potential buyer. I didn't care

• Suzieque
    6 days ago

I don't even know what a body sprayer is!

• kevin9408
    6 days ago

What color shag carpet are you putting on the walls with those body sprayers? Yes, this is how dated they are.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    6 days ago

I had to read this thread to find out what they were (my first thought was body spray, like Axe or something). Now I understand......My brother called his shower that had them "the car wash". (They were already installed when they bought their condo.)

• Jake The Wonderdog
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

Yes, they are about as dated and non-sensical as pot fillers in the kitchen.

"The car wash..." yep, that's about right.

Look, there's no end to the trends and additions to separate you from your money. This is one that you can skip over for sure.

• Sue 430
    5 days ago

I have mine opposite myshowerhead, so i can shower both sides at once. i beg to differ with whover said no one ever uses them past 2 weeks. i use mine every single day and really miss them when i travel.

• debra sansone
    4 days ago

We are in the process of a complete remodel of our master bath. The existing walk-in shower master bath has two body sprays. We have incorporated 2 body sprays in the new bathroom design. I love them. It feels so relaxing to have the body spray on while showering. I use them every day. You don't have to have 4 or six body sprays. They can be turned off while you are showering if you like. Luckily, we have our own well and are not affected by high water bills. You can use a lot of water if you take long showers or have several people in your household. Caveat :Make sure that your hot water can keep up with the demand . We have two fifty gallon commercial hot water heaters, it came with the house.

• Mrs Pete
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Functional items cannot be "outdated". It's like asking whether a sink or a showerhead can be outdated.

Having said that, body sprays were always the kind of "excess" that never served any real purpose. Many people jump all over the newest gadgets, perhaps thinking that if they're available, they must be a positive thing. Not always true.

• worthy
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

We've had them before. Not bothering this time in an oversized shower for two with double overheads and handhelds. But if it suits you, feel free and it's not a big extra cost.

• roarah
    17 hours ago
    last modified: 17 hours ago

I have them in my shower and use them once a week and would use them every day if I did not care about water usage. My deep bath tub has not been filled once since we have the jets so we now use less water with the jets. I love mine.

• HU-910663146
    16 hours ago

I suggest you pass on the body sprayer but be sure to include a handheld.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    12 hours ago

Ok, so I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought this thread referred to something you spritz on like Jean Nate body spray LOL!