Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeperrone

New sectional/sofa, furniture layout for very large room

Jennifer Perrone
12 days ago

I need to replace the sectional. We moved a year ago, and I had to make due with what we had. The sectional fit much better in our other house. I need to maximize seating in this room for large family gatherings. We also use this room as our living/media room so seating needs to be comfortable. Current sectional has 4 reclining seats. I am leaning towards 2 sofas and 2 chairs rather than another sectional. If I place a sofa facing the fireplace and another facing the windows, it seems as though walking into the room it seem weird. Also, the only way to get to the seating area would be to walk between the 2 sofas or all the way around a sofa and into the seating area. Seems like the seating area would be closed off from the entry to the room. Also, would it be weird to walk into the room and see the back of the sofa. We could have 2 seating areas, however, I think only one would actually get used. The second area would probably just be for asthetics. The room is very large, 23ft x 24 ft. The rug 15 ft x 12 ft. Room measurements are in the pictures.

Comments (32)

• Paul F.
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I would move the TV so you don't totally ignore your great fireplace and then figure out the seating.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    12 days ago

It’s a great space! I will play with layout ideas later today. I think the 5’ is for right side of slider door not left. See if you mixed the dimensions up on that wall. Bbl

• kandrewspa
    12 days ago

You could also put the TV on the wall perpendicular to the fireplace (where the three section bookcase is). In either case, the sectional could then be positioned with one side against the windows and the other facing the fireplace. It definitely doesn't make sense to have the back of the sofa facing the fireplace. You can setup a seating/conversation area on the other end of the living room with chairs and an end table. If you really want to buy new sofas, two would work as well or better than a sectional. It depends on what you like.

• Jennifer Perrone
    Original Author
    12 days ago

There is not any space on the right side of the slider door.....only a few inches as you can see in one of the pictures. The wall space to the right of the fireplace is 5'9", which is the space where the TV could go, keeping in mind that with the hearth there, there would not be a way to have a cabinet under it unless it was a very small TV. Right now, our 65" TV would fit on that wall. Also, another note, we can not tile that entire wall. The grey tile is over original brick so it sticks out at least 6" from the wall, that would not work around the slider door.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    12 days ago

The black bookcases fight with the style of your room and should be relocated. I'd consider placing the TV on this wall so that the fireplace is still the focal point of the room. Keep the wood cabinets you currently have located on the back wall. Just place art on the wall above them.

You can still use a sectional and additional lounge chairs or a sofa and lounge chairs.

Change out the ceiling fan to a white one that is larger and hung at the correct height.

Use a low, wall-mounted cabinet beneath the TV to keep the MCM style of your room.

It's unfortunate the black track lights draw so much visual attention. They would be better if they were white to blend into the ceiling.

• Paul F.
    12 days ago

I think Flo mistook your windows as sliders. You wrote that the wall to the right side of the windows is only 2'-10", can you explain that? I just showed tiling the wall as an idea but you clearly could have a wall mounted cabinet above the hearth for below the TV if you really wanted the TV there. A ceiling to floor custom bookcase/TV surround would look great there as well. Otherwise, what about @kandrewspa idea of putting the entertainment center where the dark bookcase is now?

Do you not use the fireplace?

• Jennifer Perrone
    Original Author
    12 days ago

The ceiling fan, track lights and bookshelves were all there when we moved in. We could probably paint the track lights white, and change out the fan possibly (if I can convince my husband, it's pretty high!) The book shelves are negotiable.

• Jennifer Perrone
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Flo said "I think the 5’ is for right side of slider door not left." There isn't any space to the right of the slider door. I wasn't sure what she meant. There isn't any space to the right of the slider, only space on the left of the slider next to the fireplace. There is 34" or 2 feet 10 inches between the end of the windows and the fireplace wall on the right side of the windows (not the slider) (I am going to double check that because it is strange that it isn't the same on both sides of the windows) I am considering moving the TV either next to the fireplace or where the bookshelves are. Not sure how annoying it would be to have people continually walking in front of the TV to go out the sliders (our Traeger is out there and my husband uses it everyday). We do use the fireplace occasionally, but not too often.

• Paul F.
    12 days ago

If the right side is really half the size of the left then we have major lens distortion going on. I'd like to see the room without wide angle lens so we are all clear with what we are seeing.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    12 days ago

I did think the windows had a slider unit. But in any case, need better understanding of pictures. But straight on regular photos are best.

• Jennifer Perrone
    Original Author
    11 days ago

These are the measurements on either side of the windows. Originally I think I measured to the hearth on the right side since that was to the usable space.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 days ago

I don't see any reason to get rid of the sectional. It looks like it's still in good shape. Try moving it to the new location along with the TV and see how it works for the room.

• Jennifer Perrone
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Beverly, thank you. I am going to try this layout. I need to replace the sectional because the seat we sit in the most has a bent frame and it feels like you are sitting in a hole, I have to sit on a pillow.

• dan1888
    11 days ago

I like the feel of orienting seating lengthwise towards the windows and the fireplace. This gives a relaxed open air. The glass at the wall are windows, not a doorwall. I could place the tv to cover the right window and right end wall. Depending on how large, say 85" I could go. Possibly a curtain or decorative panel covering the right window.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 days ago

I have started your scale layout but still need a few more measurements. I can post tomorrow late after our Mother’s Day events.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 days ago

I have some kind of unique ideas for you if they work once I get more details. It’s the fireplace whole wall and the wall along other end of the room. Measure every distance including windows, openings, location of firebox etc.

• Jennifer Perrone
    Original Author
    7 days ago

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 days ago

This is Draft Scale layout #1. Need detailed measurements for fireplace wall and wall and openings of wall opposite the big window wall.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 days ago

By angling the seating arrangement, you open up the whole space. I guessed at length of console arrangement on left long wall but you would leave that there and hang large art and style surface to coordinate with styling once you get new sofas. This is 1/4” equals 1 foot scale. (Each square is equal to one square ft. ). Swivel guest chairs maximize space and functionality. This keeps walkways open too. A 5’ (60”) square coffee table serves seating so minimal other tables needed. I put a couple “C” tables to pull up for TV night.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 days ago

Oh. Your new measurements just popped up. I will modify drawing. Bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 days ago

I was pulling some ideas together to get your creative juices going.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 days ago

I tried finding picture of framed TV but couldn’t quickly find black frame. But I would get a TV that fits on the wall space to the right of fireplace and probably put it on pull and tilt wall bracket so you can aim at viewers or access those switches on the wall. I know electricians that install switches are not trained in design and good functionality but these are particularly bad!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 days ago

You can choose style and other elements to fit your preferences but probably neutrals with some selected colors from Giant canvas over your long console arrangement.

• happyleg
    7 days ago

You could start your sectional on the right of your fireplace or the couches to the right of the fireplace one facing the sliding doors and leave your TV where it is if you want you can still see the fireplace and the TV and it's okay to see a back of a sofa can also get a console table behind the sofa and you could even have stools behind that console table that in case you want to eat there

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    7 days ago

What a beautiful room!

• Jennifer Perrone
    Original Author
    7 days ago

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 days ago

Thanks for those measurements. I don’t quite understand them because the total width on this end is 3’ longer than other end. But that wall isn’t critical to overall layout. Your “focal” wall is your stone/fireplace wall. Here’s DRAFT 2.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 days ago

If you lay down on sofas, I like 40” deep size. Nicer to curl up a bit. Lots of great choices out there. Look for fabrics that have 50,000 rub count for durability. Performance fabrics are generally very good. I wouldn’t go longer than 90”. People don’t want to sit on longer sofas together. Most like chairs or ends of sofa. Keep us posted.

• Jennifer Perrone
    Original Author
    6 days ago

I measured floor space, the wall with the windows is shorter because the fireplace hearth sticks out 3 ft. At any rate, doesn’t change furniture placement. Thank you for the suggesstions.

• happyleg
    6 days ago

That looks great!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 days ago

Yes, I figured that the difference didn’t make a change in arrangement and it let me leave drawing so it didn’t have to be reworked again. Not much time today! 😂