Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_726503983

6cm mitered quartz around farmhouse sink

Scott
13 days ago
last modified: 13 days ago

Just had my template done today. I have a whitehaven farmhouse sink. I have decided to move forward with a 6cm mitered edge island where the farmhouse sink will be.

Today they more or less warned me that the mitered edge cannot be rounded to fit the profile of the sink. So basically I would have a 90 degree angle over the rounded corner edge of the sink. There actually wouldnt be a large corner reveal, but the tone they used when giving me this warning made me feel a bit uneasy. Initially I am not the type of person that would hate that look or regret my decision. There would be a little more of an edge for dirt and water so that sucks, but again, it’s not alot of a reveal.

Its this or we do a laminated edge (not a huge fan of the seam) or go to the standard 3cm.

Anyone ever run into this? or have any suggestions. Do i need to find a new fabricator that can make this work?

Comments (13)

• Scott
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Great. Thanks for keeping me on track.

Guess my other question would be… would i be crazy to have the corner at a 90 deg instead of yours Joseph? Looks like yours is a whitehaven. In other words, is this some sort of design no no that i am unaware of? I love the look of the thicker slab, and i probably wouldnt notice the 90 on the round corner. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• PRO
    Minardi
    12 days ago

You are nuts doing a 6 cm buildup to begin with on the island without planning for it from the beginning. That will affect your drawers and the DW, not just the sink. Or your island will be taller than standard, with a large buildup underneath, that's a problem This whole 6cm is ill advised.

• Travestine
    12 days ago

You are begging for all kinds of clearance issues here. And painful ergonomic ones.

• Scott
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Clearance issues how? lifting a pot an extra 1.5 inches? I am 6 feet tall. My wife is 5’8”. Should i cut the cabinets down a few inches to fit her ergonomically? If the answer is no, then your statement doesn't make sense.

Minardi, how is the build up a problem? Elaborate. Im fully aware of how this is built up. Also this was discussed at my INITIAL consult with designer and cabinet supplier. What has become news to me is the corners of the sink. That’s what got overlooked. That’s it.

• Scott
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Joseph, what do you mean by page 41?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    11 days ago

Click on the highlight please. It takes you to the Caesarstone Fabrication and Installation manual where your problem is addressed.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    11 days ago

Scott:

A 6cm top can be problematic with, for instance, a slide-in style range because the height of the countertop will exceed the height adjustment of the feet on the appliance. There won't be any problem with a dishwasher or drawers, because the bottom of the top is at the top of the cabinets, no matter the thickness of the top, unless you have framed cabinets and a countertop that drops over that frame.

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Thanks Joseph. Ya, wouldnt have clearance issues with drawers. The perimeter will be 3cm which houses the range and veggie sink. We just wanted the island to be 6cm, and the island has the farmhouse sink

• chicagoans
    11 days ago

"Click on the highlight please." Houzz stopped showing links in green (at least on my laptop, in Chrome) which is annoying. The links show on my phone. If any Houzz powers read this, it would be great to highlight links again, for all platforms.

• just_janni
    11 days ago

^^^Agreed - it only shows up as a link when you hover. I kept thinking that Joseph had forgotten to add all the links!

Houzz - please fix this! (and safari as the browser)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 days ago

IMO insist for the 6cm at your peril. I hate apron sinks and for sure the farmhouse style and I would never put one in an island since old farmhouses did not have islands . I also think 6cm counters are a more modern look so no farmhouse sink. Where is your KD in all of this