Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_157457618

Raised ranch updates

Caitlin C
15 days ago

We bought our raised ranch 4 years ago but are considering painting at least the entry door. I don’t like the black door/black shutters. The brick has a weird squiggle design in each brick. What else can we do to update?

Comments (9)

• Boxerpal
    15 days ago

I love the trees around your home. It must be very peaceful..

What is your budget are you just looking for landscape and color ideas?

• kandrewspa
    15 days ago

What is your decor style? Unless it's traditional, you should get a new front door and remove the pediment over the door. Remove the shutters. The siding looks greenish. If you're not changing the siding the front door could be dark green. I don't think there is anything wrong with the front door being black, it's more the style of it that isn't quite right. The landscaping covers up the brick pretty well, so I don't think it's a problem.

I don't have any pictures saved of split foyer raised ranches, but here is one that is somewhat similar which was modernized. You don't have to go that modern if that doesn't suit you either.

Somerset Renovation · More Info

• Boxerpal
    15 days ago

Depending on your budget you could add a porch or portico and update the entrance.

Definitely paint the shutters.

A few ideas...

Wolcott Vinyl Siding · More Info

Before and After Raised Ranch

Craftsman raised ranch renovation · More Info

Split-Level Expansion · More Info

Renovated Split Level Home in Salt Lake City · More Info

This one has stone instead of brick but I love the updates.

Exterior · More Info

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

No shutters please. I would go with taupe siding and updated front door.

• Sigrid
    14 days ago

I'd do a deep forest green or dark sage green for the shutters. I'd paint the trim around the door a warm cream. The white is pretty blinding.

• chloebud
    14 days ago

Completely agree with removing the shutters. The windows aren’t the right size/style for them. If possible, consider a new front door with glass that mimics the panes in your first floor windows.

Totally different style house but one example of how the glass in the front door and windows compliment each other.

• Amanda Smith
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

I would start by removing the pediment over the front door. You may not need to do anything else.

• jackowskib
    14 days ago

I also think removing the pediment over the front door and removing all the shutters will be a nice change. I would paint the entry door and sidelights the same color to really open up the entryway, perhaps a shade of deep grey/green. If budget allows, update the sconce lights to something a little more prominent.

• jck910
    14 days ago

Remove shutters. Remove grilles in windows if they are not fixed. Remove pediment. Change door.