Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_364213985

Color choices that would look good with these tiles?

HU-364213985
12 days ago

We picked these marble tiles for a fireplace and are trying to pick a paint color that would look good with this that is isn’t green or white. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments (30)

• jck910
    12 days ago

Add pictures of the room . Wall color is not chosen based on 1 item in the roo. We need context: what is flooring? furniture? window treatments?

• HU-364213985
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Picture of the room from old real estate listing. The house isnt furnished yet at all. The room is currently off-white/yellow with light blue ceilings. The light fixture will also eventually change to a vintage chandelier. The fireplace is in the process of being decomissioned and will be for decorative purposes only. This room will be a formal living room and not a dining room.

• HU-364213985
    Original Author
    12 days ago

More photos

• Maureen
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Assume fireplace only? If you could provide a picture, to get a sense of its style and how the tile is used.

If looking for a wall color, lots more information has to be provided.

• HU-364213985
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@maureen yes fireplace only. There are 3 photos of the room attached here.

• Maureen
    12 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Based on how you will be decorating and the wall color, perhaps a grey/green or a soft black. Suggest though waiting until the rest of the room is done before deciding and you may decide on white.

• houssaon
    12 days ago

• HU-364213985
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Photo of it in progress if anyone has other suggestions

• skmom
    11 days ago

Gorgeous tile! No clue what your style is, but if you aren’t afraid of color, I think a light peachy sort of color would look amazing in there.

• chloe00s
    11 days ago

Just curious, but why not a white on the walls? I would think any other color on the walls is going to distract from the tile.

• HU-364213985
    Original Author
    11 days ago

@chloe00sit has original trim work which I would like to ”pop” against another color. I don’t have the time or energy to strip the paint on the trim so its just going to remain white.

• chloe00s
    11 days ago

You don’t have to strip trim paint? You can just paint over it…

• HU-364213985
    Original Author
    11 days ago

@chloe00s my house is a craftsman house circa 1920. Nearly all the trim is original and I’d like to showcase it. originally it would have been stained wood but due to interior design trends someone painted it white so to make the trim stand out and not strip the paint (smelly long process) to bring back the original stain I’m going to paint the walls a color so the trim is more visible.

• H D
    11 days ago

It’s hard for me to tell from the pictures, but are the tiles more of a sage green or gray green?

• Boxerpal
    11 days ago

I love Maureen's idea, it's soothing and relaxing Moonshine BM

But for a Crazy out of the box idea... something dark..

Daltile

Tile Shop

Our Favorite Fireplace Design Blog

King's Highway · More Info

Traditional Colonial in San Marino · More Info

Laurelhurst - 1923 Bungalow · More Info

• Maureen
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Why not purchase a few large sample chips (or test pots) in the family of shades similar to what houssaon or I provided - if you want to match. It’s impossible really to suggest a specific color and shade as your decor and style are major factors. Start there, as I assume you probably chose the tile to suit the room.

• Jennifer Hogan
    11 days ago

Sadly the white they picked is pretty muted, so you will need to be careful that it doesn't look dirty next to the wall color.

Here are some different ideas from darks to subtle to colors . . .

I tried some pinker colors that I normally like with green, but didn't like it with the current white.

• HU-364213985
    Original Author
    10 days ago

The green marble tiles range from a light sage green to a very dark forest green. Ironically the room used to be a very light peach color as we’ve chipped some of the paint redoing this tile we can see all the previous colors over the years.

• purpleplume
    10 days ago

@houssaon Did you include the names of the dark green and the light green paint proposals from your strip of 4 suggestions. Those are both fabulous!

• purpleplume
    10 days ago

@Boxerpal I'm loving the deep color you show in your top image. What is the name of that color?

• purpleplume
    10 days ago

Moonshine and Gray Horse are also terrific proposed by @Maureen. I'm partial to a bit more saturation, so I'm especially drawn to the Gray Horse.

You've received some excellent suggestions here!

You'll want to consider the orientation of the fireplace wall because you have a window to the left of the fireplace (perhaps it's flanked by windows, I can't tell).

Always worthwhile to paint 3' square sample of your top 3-4 options on the wall so you can check the feel of those colors in the room morning, afternoon, evening and nighttime. That usually flushes out your favorite because the color will look differently depending on the amount and quality of the light in the room.

If you'd like to avoid doing actual paint samples, you can buy sheets of the colors from www.samplize.com or www.lisajenkinscolor.com.

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

@purpleplume You could reach out to https://www.tileshop.com/blog/our-favorite-fireplace-design-ideas-just-in-time-for-fall/

Our Favorite Fireplace Design by the Tileshop

My guess is Hale Navy BM or Polo Blue by BM The stark white trim and the lightening will make this color look more blue than black. I use it all the time for a moody powder room or built ins.

• k8cd
    10 days ago

Try SW Urbane Bronze.

• Anne Duke
    10 days ago

Usually the advice is to decide on paint color last, so I’m baffled. What is the furniture going in there?

• HU-364213985
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

@anneduke I have no furniture at the moment and most places I’ve looked at couches require 12 plus weeks to deliver them so I’m going to paint first. I’m open to most furniture styles and the house is a craftsman house. This room will be a formal living room.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 days ago

Seems to me that the tiles are neutral enough that you could go with a number of colors, as suggested above, and more.

I'm guessing the OP is a typo? "..a paint color that would look good with this that is isn’t green or white." assuming that's meant to be 'isn't'?

HU-364213985 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • purpleplume
    10 days ago

@Boxerpal Thank you for providing the link and for placing thumbnail images of both dark blues beside the image for better visual comparison. I was asking on behalf of the OP.

Coincidentally, I recently ordered paint boards of both the BenMoore colors you cited here from Lisa Jenkins. So if OP wants to consider either or both of those dark blues, I know Lisa has them both on hand from filling my order, so she could likely get them out to OP in a few days.

I prefer her paint boards to Samplize because she makes them with actual paint, not digitally.

• maddie260
    10 days ago

Just chiming in- that is some gorgeous tile!

HU-364213985 thanked maddie260