Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_816287611

How should 2 different size paintings be positioned in a dining room?

HU-816287611
2 months ago

I have a small dining room with a table that is off center due to space issues (penninsula on one side, patio door on another). The 2 pendant lights are positioned to be centered with the table, not with the room. So essentially everything is shifted to the left, which is open concept leading to rhe living room. The beam seen in the photo is the only division of the two spaces.

I have 2 pieces of framed artwork that are 2 different sizes that I would like hung on the wall. What makes the most sense/ looks the most aesthetically pleasing from a design standpoint?

Should I center the art with the room or with the lighting/table?

Should I align the center or the bottom of the frames?

Comments (7)

• Missy Bee
    2 months ago

Do you love those two pieces of art? From what I can see they will not add anything good to this particular room and especially if not the same size. If you still want to use them, perhaps having and additional piece (or more) with same framing color and style t would resolve most issues. Otherwise I would look for a big fairly colorful canvas or textile that takes up a good part of the wall.

• kandrewspa
    2 months ago

There isn't a good way to put two pieces that aren't the same size next to each other. It will never look right. You could work on building a gallery wall around them, but that's challenging to get right, too. I think you need a console on that wall. I can't tell from the angle the picture was taken from whether you have enough floor space for one, but it would help fill that large expanse of wall. Also, those light fixtures look like something you would hang over a kitchen island. If you want to distract from large empty wall spaces, something more artistic would help.

• Maureen
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Given the table is off-side, the pendants are creating a lot of symmetry, but the art won’t, maybe consider an alternative. Could you place the smaller one on the wall on the right and the larger over a console centered to table - accessories will help fool the eye/ take the focus away from not being centered. The other advantage is creating a more dynamic space - hopefully there is room.

• PRO
    Douglah Designs
    11 days ago

Looks like the large painting could work well with the pendants flanking it, on the blank wall in the photo. Then place the smaller one on the wall to the right assuming it's blank as well. Then you could get a buffet for under the larger piece of artwork.

Modern Farmhouse Rebuild · More Info

• Cara Fidler
    10 days ago

I would center the art with the lighting/table. Then around the paintings add some other art to try to balance it a bit.

• Kendrah
    10 days ago

Cut out cardboard the size of each framed piece and play with them on the wall. Snap a few pic for us to see. Although it might not look right, as others have suggested, I'd still hang a cardboard arrangement of the larger picture on the left, the smaller on the right centered on the table area with the midlines at the same height. Surprise us.