Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacque_berg42

Any suggestions on updating or refreshing this 1920's bungalow?

Jacque Berg
last month

The porch entry is on the left side and we will be removing the screens. The brick is already painted and I'm not sure what the real bricks look like. We are on a tightbudget and will be doing a lot of the work ourselves

Comments (14)

• Susan
    last month

Landscaping. Please post a photo of the porch after the screens are removed.

Jacque Berg thanked Susan
  • Jacque Berg
    Original Author
    last month

I agree with landscaping. I'm sure removing screens will make a big difference. The paint choices have me torn....darker like a typical craftsman style or lighter? I'm leaning towards lighter because of the neighboring houses.

• Susan
    last month

I have never painted or dealt with a painted brick extrrior; there are others in the Houzz community who hopefully will offer expert advice. Have you tried removing a small area of paint to check out the brick? I’d be curious to know what the real brick looks like…if it’s a great color/texture and in good condition, you may want to consider having the paint removed. I’d get some estimates from professional painters who have experience with this situation. I also think there is an alternative to sand blasting…still blasting but with some other material that is better/safer??

• HU-787167202
    last month

Removing the paint will be very costly and need to be professionally done for the most preistine results. Sorry about the forever maintenance on it. Do you have any idea how long it's been there so you know how many years until it begins flaking? Painting over will be labor intensive as you need to scrape it all to be sure what's loose is removed. Is this a back view or front view? I would want a nice curved walkway to the door from the street. That usually defines a planting bed as a nice result between the house and the walk way. How much maintenance do you want your landscaping to be so we can make appropriate suggestions. Your best bet for suggestions is a local green house. They will be selling plants that are best in your Zone.

Jacque Berg thanked HU-787167202
  • Jacque Berg
    Original Author
    last month

I love the idea of a curved walkway. This is the front of the house and it is so boring. That walkway would provide a nice base for landscaping!

• beeboo22
    last month

Super cute house! You’ve gotten good suggestions already. I think you can go in almost any direction color-wise. What colors would you prefer if you could have any? I would keep the neighboring houses in mind, but not let them dictate your choices.

Jacque Berg thanked beeboo22
  • Jacque Berg
    Original Author
    last month

Im pretty sure the brick

is a brownish color based on the brick inside on the fireplace there is no flaking of the paint now i’m assuming we will be painting over it at this point i like the limewash idea !!

• Susan
    last month

From the photo, the paint color goes dark in the shade. Lush landscaping could cover most of the brick. Is the whole house painted brick or just the porch? If the paint is in good condition, maybe leave it…unless you really hate it. Which direction does the house face? What is the location/hardiness planting zone?

Jacque Berg thanked Susan
  • Jacque Berg
    Original Author
    last month

We are in zone 6 and the house faces west. Only the front is brick. The rest is unfortunately aluminum siding. We close on it mid spril so i will see what is underneath it then. Ths is an investment property for us in an area that is currently starting to be refurbished

• Jacque Berg
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you all for your ideas. im excited to bring this bungalow up to date while keeping its integrity intact!

• Kendrah
    last month

Investment property meaning you are going to be renting it out? If so, leave the paint as is and save up until you can do a proper job or hire someone to remove the paint. If you are renting, also consider that you will need to put in very easy to care for landscaping.

Jacque Berg thanked Kendrah
  • Jacque Berg
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

I agree, low maintenance landscaping for sure. i actually enjoy that part i do feel I need to address the exterior as soon as possible because of the way the neighborhood is evolving I just stuggle with paint colors! its been helpful to look at the bungalows on houzz. I’m leaning clean and neutral since im hesitant to paint aluminum siding. Anyone have any experience with that? Does it last?

• PRO
    Aardvark Architecture
    last month

That weird double roof fascia treatment has got to go! Your home will look so much cleaner and simpler once that's gone. Then repair any water damage, new paint, and plenty of beautiful accent plants on a drip irrigation system.