Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_299288210

Living Room Layout Advice

NN NN
2 months ago

Looking to brighten up and add some airy-ness to our tudor style living room. open to new furniture layouts, rug color/size, new furniture altogether or any other recommendations! would like to maintain the tudor charm without looking dated. Please help and thank you!

PS: can share more photos of different angles of the room. essentially the back window you see is east facing. there are two other sets of windows (flanking the fireplace/TV stand), and these face north. To the right through the archway is the dining room, and where im standing is a little raised platform area with a set of north facing and a set of west facing windows behind me - the raised platform can seat two chairs and a small table.

Comments (15)

• jck910
    2 months ago

Pictures of all 4 walls would be helpful. Draw a Floor plan with measurements: include window & door locations.

Lighting is going to be the key to brightening your space. I only see 1 lamp.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

Yes to more pics and a to scale floor plan posted here in jpeg format in comments DO NOT start another post.

• kandrewspa
    2 months ago

The sofa with chaise is blocking the flow, so I think you're going to need a new sofa at least. The gray doesn't work well with the wood trim and wall color either. Why are the two chairs in the foreground facing away from the grouping? Did you just move in and have just put furniture in the room in no particular way for now? We are definitely going to need more pictures and a floorplan. I think it's a lovely room, I wouldn't change the wood trim or wall color. The floors also look good so you have a nice starting point.

NN NN thanked kandrewspa
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 months ago

Because someone painted the ceiling something other than ceiling white and used a satin finish, none of the light that shines through the windows can bounce off the ceiling and enter the room. That paint stops all of it. Repaint the ceiling.

Here is an alternate layout for the room. You don't place a chair behind a chaise lounge in a conversation area. Place your floor lamp in the dark corner. Not the corner that has two windows.

NN NN thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • rinked
    2 months ago

Would like to see the other walls too :) (we need perspective)

• NN NN
    Original Author
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Thank you! Yes to just randomly placing the furniture for now (this was all our existing furniture from our old place). Totally open to getting all new furniture if we cant work with what we have - will definitely be buying a new sofa and rug at the very least once i can decide the color. Also, interesting observation about the ceiling paint - will look into that!

Here are some additional photos and my best attempt at a floor plan with measurements! Hope this helps - again would love ideas on furniture placement in a room this size, sofa/rug colors, and how to brighten the room :) thanks very much again!

Wider view of living room:

This next photo is from the dining room arch:

And this is of the raised platform section:

And floor plan (in pencil is current layout), and I’ve marked current lamp placement with the solid colored circles/dots (there are 5 lamps in total):

• rinked
    2 months ago

I think the scandi-midcentury furniture you already have goes really well with tudor-craftsman style homes. All you need to do is finish what you started, really.

Paint walls and ceiling an offwhite, not too creamy (and matt, no gloss/satin). Maybe a bit of sage or yellow or teal, but start with the white, blanc canvas, who knows white is enough (and accent walls are easier to achieve than finding a rug, imho), a bit of color can be added with accessiores and rug.

The beige armchair has to go, so does the tv cabinet, replace these. The rocking chair could go on the platform, or maybe get a nice spot elsewhere in the house? Keep the planter collection, as it softens up that part of the room. Move the liquor to a kitchen cabinet, out of sight (and away from little hands).

I also see 3 types of floorlamps and a lot of wires. Might want to look into some extra sockets or even wall sconces (2x2, next to N-windows, plus 2 on S-wall) and in case you don't like the fireplace+niche, get the thing closed up and replastered, maybe a tv niche (same height as now) with a low cabinet under.

Have you tried the tv on the opposite wall? I mean, these windows are beautiful, but the couch-tv-distance could benefit from losing the 'aisle' behind the couch (hope the explanation makes sense, english is not my first language).

TV on other side: (is there a doorway between kitchen and dining as well?)

NN NN thanked rinked
  • hbeing
    2 months ago

ceiling can lights in strategic locations including over seating.

• NN NN
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you all for the great suggestions!

i love the raised platform idea, Cathy! The play area was a temporary set up, but your suggestion is a great separate seating arrangement, right by the windows to get some late afternoon sun!

Rinked, thank you again for the various suggestions! I will look into sconces. the TV is a temporary set up (we will move it to the basement and keep the fireplace. The opposite wall has in built shelving so nothing really can be mounted there. good call on moving the liquor/bar area. i also liked that you switched up the two armchairs to be on the north side - it seems to fill up that area nicely. do you think i can/should add a sideboard/credenza/buffet anywhere in the living room?

Some follow ups: we are planning to get rid of the grey chaise/couch and get a regular 3-seater sofa. do you recommend we stay with the cream/beige color scheme or perhaps try a green/chartreuse color or another gem tone or cognac-colored leather? will that go well with the two beige mid-century armchairs? we plan to buy a low square heavy coffee table to replace the current one. similarly, can i get away with not doing a cream/beige carpet? im worried about maintenance.

lastly, do folks here think i need two separate seating sections in the living room given the size/length? id prefer not to since the raised platform is already a separate seating area. maybe by moving the two mid century armchairs, that would do enough to fill up the space.

PS: eventually, we’ll do a full electric overhaul and add ceiling lights too!

• rinked
    2 months ago

I'd say the space has enough beige/cream already. Cognac sofa sounds nice, but make sure it's more gold/yellow than brown, as there already is quite a lot of browns in the house and you don't want anything to clash with that gorgeous floor. Rug with a pattern that blends in the cognac/gold and/or grey/browns would look best, i'd say. But if you were to paint the walls+ceiling a lighter offwhite, you could easily add some more brighter colors and/or more light grey/white.

Kenilworth Project - Mid Century Modern Whole House Remodel · More Info

Alameda Mid Century Modern · More Info

Whole Home Custom Interior Remodel · More Info

Leigh Holiday Home Renovation · More Info

Modern Brazilian · More Info

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 months ago

Here's a visual of the brightened-up Tudor living room...

• P.D. Schlitz
    2 months ago

Why do you have a TV stand covering up a period fireplace? We have a Tudor style house also. We painted our living/ dining a warm white and went for a somewhat eclectic look with a mix of midcentury furniture, some closer to the 1920s period antiques, and various materials with a natural/ organic vibe (woven shades, cane/rattan pieces, etc.). Ours is also awkwardly long, but that problem was solved when we came into a free baby grand piano (that’s two years older than the house!). It’s bright and airy, and I think eclectic, McM, and transitional styles can all work pretty well with the Tudor style. Like you, there wasn’t really a good place for a TV in our living room due to all the windows, fireplace, etc., so we use a former bedroom in the back of our house as den/ TV area and wouldn’t change it. Congrats on the beautiful new home!

• PRO
    Douglah Designs
    11 days ago

If you're going to keep the sectional, then we'd recommend not having three chairs. It looks and feels disjointed. If you're open to other options, you might consider two sofas with two chairs.

Modern Farmhouse Rebuild · More Info

Wine Country Charm · More Info

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County