Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
douglas_lapenta

Looking to turn this corner of our co-op into a cocktail nook.

D Lap
3 months ago

Hi all

We are add some character to our co-op. We were thinking about turning the corner where the brewery sign is to a cocktail nook. As you can see our co-op is a very open space, so we don’t want anything to look out of place. We were considering getting rid of the brewery sign, and adding a dark green wallpaper to that wall. We would likely also get rid of the bar and downsize to a smaller bar cart, and adding a small area rug and a brown leather chair. We would go for some gold accents on the wall, such as scones and some art work. We are open to any suggestions you may have to help us complete our cozy, moody space. Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• acm
    3 months ago

Let me tell you from experience that a bar cart is good only if you drink everything straight. If you're going to do mixing, let alone slicing up and juicing citrus, you are gonna want a surface to work on, preferably able to stand up to a mess. Now if you have a great collection of bottles and want to show them off, then great, and you can make the cocktails in the kitchen. Just think through what you want for functionality before you get too deep into decor.

Rather than adding an arm chair there, like you're just going to sip sherry and read a newspaper (wait, now that sounds appealing!), could you turn the bar against the wall, to keep the option of perching? Dunno. Maybe just focus on serving and leave the seating elsewhere? Maybe I'm underestimating the amount of space.

Had fun with an image search! :)) So many ideas, depending on decor used, overall style, type of cart, bottles to display, etc....

Family Friendly Residential Design - Hingham, MA · More Info

Industrial Kitchen · More Info

Passive House, Carroll Gardens · More Info

Traditional With Pops of Color · More Info

Contemporary Home Bar · More Info

Upper East Side, NYC · More Info

Dining Rooms · More Info

Mount Pleasant, Washington DC Residence · More Info

Picture Perfect Pied-à-terre on the North Side · More Info

Contemporary Living Spaces · More Info

Condo Reno · More Info

Park House · More Info

Meyers - Rocklin · More Info

(and definitely no dark wallpaper in such a narrow zone! Get your mood with art, lighting, etc.)

• PRO
    Everything Home
    11 days ago

You might consider doing som built-in cabinets that match what is already in the kitchen. It'll make the spaces feel connected and as if they already go together. A bar cart could work, but if you're really wanting a home bar, you might consider looking into the built-ins:

Modern Farmhouse Charm: Home Bar · More Info

Coolest Basement on the Block · More Info

Bright Transitional Refresh · More Info

Posh Home Remodel · More Info

Scandinavian Modern · More Info

The Van Buren Project · More Info

• Paul F.
    11 days ago

• Cara Fidler
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

I suggest leaving the bar and painting it and the backwall behind the bar the same color as the color of your couch---an inky blue or teal. I would take the fan off the bar and take down the brewery sign. On the wall behind the bar I would arrange some cool geometric shapes that are plum, hunter green, teal, cranberry. You could set some nice colored glass in jewel tones to sit on the side of the bar and a cool modern lamp similar to a lava lamp. Make the lighting in that nook subdued and cozy. You could position a chaise lounge on the diagonal in front of the bar in a cool jewel tone. Also, I would get new cushions for the bar stools in a cool accent color.