Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emily_basile13

suggestions for this room

Emily Baz
3 months ago

Family room feels off centered. Furniture is heavily placed on the right side of the room. TV is built in and French doors open inwards.
I bought a swivel chair and placed it as pictured but it looks too heavy and clunky. I like the idea of swivel so that it can be spun around to watch TV. Have posted pictures of the room with and without the chair.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

Comments (13)

• Emily Baz
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Yes. There was a pony wall there and I had it taken down to give the illusion of more space. When I put the couch in a position facing the fireplace, it had the same effect as the pony wall. I agree it’s a real shame that the television cannot be moved. I’m very limited with where I can place furniture. Do you agree that something needs to be placed in the area of left-hand corner of the rug?

• tracefloyd
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I would try this:

Center the coffee table on the fireplace and rotate the sofa to face the fireplace and coffee table.

Place the armchair and swivel opposite each other across from the coffee table, with the armchair wall the yellow/gray art, and the swivel partially in front of the left French door, and use the right French door only.

Decide on rug size and direction after you rearrange.

• tracefloyd
    3 months ago

Something about the green square wall-shape over the mantel is off. I would paint over the green on the fireplace wall including the back of the shelves in the same white as the rest. The wall will look more cohesive against the green on the other walls.

Keep your magazines and coffee table books on the shelves. I like to lean coffee table books so you can see the front of the dust jackets.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 months ago

The rug in the current setting should be centered on the FP and the ceiling fan. Here are layouts for the room.

• Emily Baz
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks so much. To everyone. Good ideas. Will rearrange and post pictures.

• Emily Baz
    Original Author
    3 months ago

But what I’m hearing is that the swivel chair doesn’t look right where it is. Correct ?

• Cara Fidler
    3 months ago

A lovely room. What I would do is move the sofa so that it is directly opposite the fireplace. Place the swivel chair on the side and the other chair on the opposite side so that more people can watch tv. I think its unfortunate that the tv is built in and so far over there on the left. Would look better mounted over the fireplace. I would seriously consider removing the tv or buying a new one for above the fireplace. As the sofa is placed now, you really can't even view the tv.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 months ago

Why have the swivel chair in a position to not be able to view the TV?

• Emily Baz
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I bought a swivel so it can swivel around to face the tv. Tried getting one short enough so it didn’t block view of tv from rest of room or kitchen.
    That all works but I think the placement looks awkward ; appears as though people confirming my sentiment.

• Emily Baz
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks for your input. I’m going to move the couch. I bought the house with the tv built in. The walls were already painted that LR suede green. Was trying to work around what was already in place. Hoping to sell soon. It’s a small room so I was hoping to present it as able to accommodate a decent amount of furniture.

• PRO
    Urbanology Designs
    22 days ago

It looks like you should easily be able to float both chairs on each corner of the rug facing the sofa. It might look a little something like you see in these living room designs of ours below.

Greenway Parks · More Info

University Park · More Info

• PRO
    Everything Home
    11 days ago

Even though the French doors open inward, you should still be able to float both chairs on the rug, facing the sofa. Notice the layout in this design included here.

Midland South Luxury Townhome · More Info