Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albiani

Help with the "details" to pull family room together please!

albiani
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

My family room is open with the kitchen. I bought new couches and they are a similar color to my two chairs in the room. I thought they'd be a deeper navy. I am unsure what to do for throw pillows to pull the room together. Navy blue pillows don't offer enough color (Blue is my favorite) and I love my curtains. I know one option is to do creams and change my curtains to a cream but I'd love to keep the blue and white stripe curtain. My rug is a cream and greige color. The room is north-facing

I'm up for any ideas to update and pull the room together! I like casual and comfortable! Thanks!

Comments (18)

• grapefruit1_ar
    3 months ago

Your room looks very nice and comfy! The first thing that i notice is the lack of lamps. Lamp light is much more flattering than overhead lighting. Also, I would remove the floating shelves and photographs and replace them with colorful art.

albiani thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Kendrah
    3 months ago

Sorry for your disappointment. The diamond throw pillow on the chair to the right of the fireplace should be your inspiration for what can tie this room together. The deep navy and cream with a subtle print. The bold prints you are going for don't work here.

Martinique Taupe Printed Cotton Curtain Single Panel, 50"x96" · More Info

Illusions Silver Gray Printed Cotton Curtain Single Panel, 50"x96" · More Info

Do you have the option to get another rug? I think the current one is too formal and bringing the room down. I'd go slightly smaller so it doesn't look like wall to wall carpet. I'd get a woven jute or sisal rug so it looks more casual in here.

This one looks a bit orange but you can find one that is more neutral.

Safavieh Natural Fiber Nf447A Solid Color Rug, Natural, 9'0"x12'0" · More Info

Your large family photos and plants are keeping it casual in here. I'd put your basket of blankets by the fireplace to help make it look less formal over there. Also, pull the sofa away from the wall by about a foot or 8".

albiani thanked Kendrah
  • jackowskib
    3 months ago

Such a nice space! I like your curtains but wonder if they come in a taupe version (like rug) to quiet them down a bit? This would to me be more in the casual/cozy direction. Then a couple navy velvet ottomans to pop in the space.

albiani thanked jackowskib
  • ptreckel
    3 months ago

It might just be my monitor but…your couches read gray, and your draperies appear to be black and white. You have creams, warm tones, on your walls and flooring, and white, cool tones, going on in your draperies. I would I would take down your draperies and roll up your rug. And assess. You might want to consider what Kendrah is saying, above. Perhaps a new rug that includes both warm and cool tones. And a smaller print or plain draperies/. I know you love the draperies, but perhaps they will work in another room?

• arcy_gw
    3 months ago

LOVE the your curtains bring--not take that same color and a pattern to the carpet!!

With the ligher walls I think your space could handle it.

• njmomma
    3 months ago

Your curtains are bold, but if you like them, you need to change the rug. The rug has a pink undertone that does not work. I am in the camp of less is more. I would consider taking down the shelves with pictures and adding a the family photo that is on the fireplace and make a collage with the smaller photos over the sofa.
    Large art over the fireplace. As mentioned a basket for your blankets.

• Jilly
    3 months ago

Can you get these exact photos, but in natural light? The harsh overhead lights are skewing things, I think.

This room needs lamps! :)

Is it open to the kitchen and/or other rooms? It would help to see any adjoining rooms, too.

A rug like this might work (and you could even layer another rug over it), but again, need to see things in better lighting and what’s in adjoining rooms.

albiani thanked Jilly
  • njmomma
    3 months ago

Inspiration for collage over sofa

Mariposa Ave. · More Info

Inspiration for Art over fireplace

Iris Transitional · More Info

Inspiration basket filled with blankets

[project] lake wisconsin · More Info

albiani thanked njmomma
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 months ago

I like the curtains--it's nice to see something a bit bolder than the bland neutrals everyone on Houzz seems to love. That being said, the wall color and rug are not working. I'd get a rug similar to something that arcy_gw suggested, and repaint the walls.

And yes, table lamps instead of overhead lighting in sitting/family/living rooms.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

The curtains belong in a big breezy white room....not here.

To all things a season, a time and a place, if only due to the power of suggestion.

Bold and lovely are stripes, in the right setting. It is very tough for them not go a wee bit sunshine and surf side.

Excellent use of them below: ) any breezy peasy: )

• chispa
    3 months ago

I don't think the curtains complement the rest of the room, so they call attention to themselves and all I can see is the horizontal curtain stripes with the horizontal slat of the blinds and the square grids on the windows. Too many lines that don't relate to each other.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 months ago

Besides replacing the striped drapery panels, I think you need to take a serious look at the position of your furnishings. Had you purchased different items, the room could have been set up differently. See below. But since you have two sofas, your options are limited.

• PRO
    Douglah Designs
    2 months ago

The window treatments and the rug clash. We might suggest choosing one of the items and then coordinating with it to help make the room feel more cohesive. Perhaps look at integrating either the beige in the rug or the black (or navy?) from the curtains into pillows and artwork. Notice, how in our design here, the pattern in the window treaments goes with the artwork and the rug, and the pillows also carry the same colors.

Modern Farmhouse Rebuild · More Info

• jackowskib
    2 months ago

I think OP sent the invite but hasn’t joined the party.

• njmomma
    2 months ago

Have there been any updates on the room?

• PRO
    Everything Home
    11 days ago

We might suggest removing the curtains. They really don't seem to work with the rest of the space. Maybe look at some curtains that are just plain. It seems like the rug and walls are beige and the furniture grey, so we might sugget trying to get items that combine those colors. Maybe remove the shelves over the sofa and look at getting some artwork that has beige and grey in it, along with pillows that have those colors. Notice the living room designs included below.

Modern Farmhouse Charm · More Info

Modern Farmhouse Charm · More Info

Midland South Luxury Townhome · More Info

Kokomo Luxury Living · More Info

• TanCalGal
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

White tray on coffee table holding a plant in a white container (coffee table has an orange hue), pull color from carpet for throw pillows. See this room, containing similar colors to your family room: https://www.houzz.com/photos/minnesota-residence-transitional-living-room-minneapolis-phvw-vp~5637086

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County