Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanneh311

Before and After: Living room makeover

Joanne
5 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

We moved into our current home 2 years ago and spent that whole time doing repairs, renovations, and improvements. I finally am able to do some decorating! The living room had our 20 year old furniture and it was definitely not getting it done.

New sofa from Ethan Allen, reupholstered chairs with fabric from EA. New rug from HG, marketplace china cabinet, tv console (solid wood, dovetailed drawers, $70!!) thrifted, flea market, and marketplace used lamps and accessories. Drapes bought online, used four panels per window. Art prints and oils from years of collecting and a fantastic print by Liz Gribin found at the flea market for $23!

I finally got to decorate in my favorite colors, green and gold with blue accents, after years of letting my husband’s preference for blue guide my choices. I’m so happy with the new room.

Thanks for looking!

Before:

After:

Comments (23)

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    5 months ago

Did you have a question?

• Anna Devane
    5 months ago

Nice job. I love a traditional home.

Joanne thanked Anna Devane
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 months ago

No question just sharing

• thinkdesignlive
    4 months ago

Very pretty! I’d be inclined to replace the red plaid pillows for ones that mix in some of the light blue color you used on your wainscoting. Using more of that light blue will make the wainscoting look more purposeful. Good job!

• Joanne
    Original Author
    4 months ago

yes, the plaid pillows are old ones that were laying around. I have some blue and white ones in another room that I will try in here. thanks.

• RedRyder
    4 months ago

You have created a very cozy, inviting room. Well done! I love green too - and you’ve executed your dream room perfectly.

I also love your entryway wallpaper.

Joanne thanked RedRyder
  • Joanne
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks. Feel free to recreate the room. would love to see the result if you do.

• Linda Dornan
    4 months ago

I would consider placing the chairs across from the sofa, to open up the fireplace, and get a smaller coffee table. Very nicely done!

Joanne thanked Linda Dornan
  • Joanne
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks. The chairs won’t work across from the sofa, mainly because there is a TV on that wall opposite. Also, they would interfere with traffic moving through that area as the room is not wide enough.

• raemise
    4 months ago

It’s just lovely. Enjoy!

Joanne thanked raemise
  • Maureen
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Lovely cozy room and I’m sure it took a lot of thought and effort. If interested (if even possible from a layout perspective), it‘s too bad the fireplace is hidden and the seating (+ large coffee table) makes the one side of room feel heavy.

1. A smaller coffee table and eventually smaller chairs, so as not to obstruct the fireplace/give some breathing room.

2. Chairs opposite couch (no ottoman).

3. Couch facing fireplace with only one side table (or a sofa table behind) and chairs next to fireplace.

Joanne thanked Maureen
  • Maureen
    4 months ago

Sorry didn't see your earlier response and the added picture helped.

• Joanne
    Original Author
    4 months ago

When we have a fire, I push the chair further toward the dining room doorway so we can see the FP. I tried putting the sofa facing the FP, but one of my small dogs was sitting on the top of the sofa back cushions (not allowed, BTW) and the other dog knocked her off onto the floor. She was OK, but I moved it back to the window wall after that.

• njmomma
    4 months ago

Beautiful!

Joanne thanked njmomma
  • Kay p
    4 months ago

Very nice! I don’t think you need to change a thing. Enjoy and thank you for posting!

Joanne thanked Kay p
  • Mary S
    4 months ago

Lovely! Thanks for sharing!

Joanne thanked Mary S
  • txandmt
    4 months ago

Warm and welcoming. Love that it looks as if people actually live there. 😄

Joanne thanked txandmt
  • cebehatz
    4 months ago

Very nice. What is the name of your rug and where did you get it.

• Jilly
    4 months ago

Beautiful room! So nice seeing a warm, traditional room here. Great job!

So much I love … particular favorites are the coffee table, secretary, and that lovely china cabinet.

The wallpaper in the entry looks beautiful, too.

Thanks for sharing!

Joanne thanked Jilly
  • stiley
    4 months ago

Very pretty room! I love how you mixed old and new for a layered space full of personality. My mom collects the green Majolica plates too! They look great in your cabinet.

Joanne thanked stiley
  • Joanne
    Original Author
    4 months ago

The rug I believe is by Safavieh, got it at homegoods. don’t know the name of the pattern. it’s wool, not top quality, but I liked the colors and it works for now. the rug I took out was really high quality, but I never liked the color for the 20 years I had it. It was time for it to go.

• arcy_gw
    4 months ago

Curtains are always the polish!!!

Joanne thanked arcy_gw
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida