Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_hartwick

Kraftmaid Cabinets in Shortbread or Barley??

Jennifer Hartwick
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

**EDIT** This is my first time posting on here as I thought it was a great idea to get feedback. But honestly, I cant believe the condescending, snooty tone in which some post their reply. In spite of that, here is a more detailed description of why I am asking for real kitchen photos of the two Kraftmaid cabinet colors.**

Has anyone done the Kraftmaid cabinets in the color Shortbread on Maple? I can’t decide between Shortbread or Barley and would love to see pictures of them in a real kitchen.

I have seen them online and I have seen the samples in person. I’m trying to see each of the colors in a real-life kitchen to get a sense of what each color looks like on more than just one sample door. Im doing a two tone kitchen with my uppers in Dove White. My appliances are the Cafe appliances in the matte white with the brushed gold. The sink is a white apron front sink and the faucet, cabinet pulls and knobs will be a brushed gold that matches the appliances. The backsplash is going to be either a gloss ceramic or matte ceramic white pickett style tile. The countertop is pure white quartz by ceasarstone. The flooring will be a lighter, wide plank oak color. There is a lot of natural light in this space and huge floor to ceiling windows.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 months ago

Why a 2 toned kitchen at all? I think many things drive cabinet color and flooring is the big one. o what are your floors ? Post answers here also any pics we might want post here in comments but too little info for help without context.DO NOT start another post.

• Lyn Nielson
    6 months ago

I'd probably go with the lighter of the two.

sounds lovely, people often say their Natural Maple cabinets had an orange cast overtime.

how would you feel about that?

espresso or cappuccino floors would be a pretty contrast.

Jennifer Hartwick thanked Lyn Nielson
  • M Miller
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

This post wins the prize for asking the most of our ESP. How can we advise you without knowing what the rest of your kitchen looks like? As Patricia said above, the flooring in particular. Have you chosen your counters? If so, what are they? And we cannot be expected to have memorized all the Kraftmaid finishes. Alright, I'll post the pictures of Shortbread and Barley on Maple below, but it doesn't help much without knowing the flooring.

Keep in mind that with two-toned cabinets, your counters and your backsplash will have to look good with both colors. That can be an extra challenge rather than choosing counters and backsplash with just one color of cabinet.

"espresso or cappuccino floors would be a pretty contrast."

Only if you want the highest-maintenance floor color. Every speck of dust and crumb will show glaringly against espresso floors. You will have just swiffered, and one crumb will make the entire floor look like it hasn't been cleaned because it shows up so glaringly against the dark flooring. (btw, when looking at pics online, the "cappuccino" shade of flooring is about a dozen different shades Lyn).

KRAFTMAID BARLEY ON MAPLE

KRAFTMAID SHORTBREAD ON MAPLE

• Lyn Nielson
    6 months ago

ouch! ^

• Jennifer Hartwick
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thank you for being kind, Lyn!

• Laurie
    6 months ago

I found a old post on Houzz that might be helpful.

Maple in Husk or Barley

Jennifer Hartwick thanked Laurie
  • Jennifer Hartwick
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thank you Kendrah! We are currently building so I cant take the samples to the new build just yet but that is a great idea. I can probably do so in the next few weeks. Our current kitchen has the same directional facing windows so maybe i can start there to start thinking about it.

Everything is moving so quickly with the build, I just didnt want to hold up the builder or be pressured into making a quick decision due to a time crunch so I’m trying to be as proactive as possible.

• Kendrah
    6 months ago

Sounds good to start in your current place. Always good to at least get out of a store as their lighting can be so different from in home lighting. Play around with all of the samples and place them down or stand them up in the same orientation that they will be used in. I was so suprised how different countertop samples looked against my cabinets when I started looking at them at the height and orientation they will be situated in. Good luck with the new built. Sounds completely overwhelming to me!

Jennifer Hartwick thanked Kendrah
  • ctang224
    6 months ago

We are having shortbread cabinets installed RIGHT NOW! will be looking for floor colors soon. I will try to post picts when done- IMO can't go wrong with either but shortbread was my fav! Good luck!

Jennifer Hartwick thanked ctang224
  • RA
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Would love to see how it looks also selecting shortbread but am in need of flooring help @ctang224

• kempek01
    5 months ago

@RA

If you started your own thread, with information on your other selections (pictures are helpful), you will get lots of help.

• adawnpaxton
    5 months ago

I did shortbread on maple in our new build master and love it!

• adawnpaxton
    5 months ago

Shortbread in our bathroom

• adawnpaxton
    5 months ago

• adawnpaxton
    5 months ago

And this is barley on maple in our kitchen....in person they are pretty identical with shortbread being a hair lighter

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    11 days ago

This is KraftMaid Shortbread finish on Maple. Viatera Clarino tops went in today.

I love this Shortbread finish. To be done: Tile backsplash and flooring.