Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outernationalist

Help me style our daughter's pink bathroom!

Nicole Futino
7 months ago

Hi everyone!

We just remodeled our daughters bathroom. Initially I wanted something soft and feminine, but now that it's done, I feel it's a little too pastel pink. What other colors and shapes would you suggest bringing in so that it feels less pastel?

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Comments (26)

• enajasereht
    7 months ago

How about some greenery? A low maintenance plant on the counter like a plylodendrin. I think gray towels would complement the pink even though you got rid of the gray so you probably don't want to reintroduce it.

• Nicole Futino
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks @enajasereht! Yeah definitely trying to avoid greys but I'd definitely love to add some greenery. Thanks for the suggestion.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

I don't like pink but I think taht space is very nice . I agree a plant (Ilike orchids) and some nice fluffy pink towels and a shower curtain with just a touch of pink.I agree no black handles .

Nicole Futino thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Jennifer Hogan
    7 months ago

FInd a shower curtain you love that has the soft pink plus other colors. Add towels that coordinate with the shower curtain and you have the needed color.

You don't say how old your daughter is. If she is a pre-teen or older she could help pick the shower curtain and accent color based on what she likes.

Nicole Futino thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • TMac
    7 months ago

Beautiful. Judt needs styling ... greenery in natural shaded pottery, cream, ivory, blush clay towels, some decor items for the shelves (e.g., glass and gold). Art :)

Nicole Futino thanked TMac
  • Louise Smith
    7 months ago

I would not put a plant on the countertop. It's not large enough to have "dead space". Once she moves in, your daughter will need every square inch of counter space.

I second the suggestion about the shower curtain. With the soft background of the bathroom, your daughter can be very expressive, both in color and design, for the shower curtain. And then when she gets tired of it, easy to change and "update" the bathroom.

For a little girl:

For a bolder look:

For a fun look:

Nicole Futino thanked Louise Smith
  • Jilly
    7 months ago

I really like how it turned out, it’s so lovely. Love the tile, lights, mirror, and vanity you chose. A wonderful transformation.

Maybe it’s different on my monitor, but I don’t see pastel at all, rather a nice earthy and warmer toned pink/blush.

I think a nice rug or bath mat, art, and a few things to display on the shelves will just add to the existing charm.

It’s hard to be more specific, not knowing her age and what your decor style is. I’d just look for inspiration photos and take your time finding things you’d both like in there.

Nicole Futino thanked Jilly
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    7 months ago

No advice from me. Just want to say that’s a gorgeous room! I love the soothing colors and calming feel. Nicely done 👍🏻

Nicole Futino thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • lharpie
    7 months ago

Agree not to pink! it looks great!

Nicole Futino thanked lharpie
  • Nicole Futino
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! I should have mentioned – my daughter is only 7 months old. So it's mostly a place to splash around for bathtime for her right now. 😅

@stiley – we are definitely planning to switch out the vanity hardware to gold. It's in a Home Depot bag just waiting to be screwed in! And I love a lot of the Urban Outfitters curtains, thanks for sending them! I think a lot of them could work actually!

@Patricia Colwell Consulting – Thank you for the kind words!

@Jennifer Hogan – lol, she's just a baby. Should've mentioned that. Thanks for the styling advice, I'll be on the hunt for a nice shower curtain then. Any recommendations for places where I can score some unique ones? I've been looking at Anthropologie and someone else linked Urban Outfitters for nice ones too.

@TMac – Thank you! :D

@Louise Smith – +1 to the no plant on the countertop. It's only a 36" vanity. My daughter is just a baby so I love your fun picks for the curtain! I LOVE the colorblock bold look!

@mytwo cents Oooh! I love these suggestions, introducing brown! And the striped towels are super chic! I've never heard of Piglet in Bed but it looks super cute.

@Jilly Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so glad it's not reading as pastels to you – maybe it's just because it's so harring to me and I have to get used to it a bit since it's just so different. My decor style is pretty eclectic and modern, and my daughter is just a baby so this is just a fun room for her to splash around in at the moment, and eventually grow into. I love what you said about just taking my time right now.

@Connecticut Yankeeeee and @lharpie – Thank you! 🥰 Your kind words really mean a lot to me since I spent so much time picking every aspect of this room!

• Kay p
    7 months ago

You did such a beautiful job. I love everything about this bathroom. Any little girl would be thrilled to have this bathroom.

Nicole Futino thanked Kay p
  • Nicole Futino
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Aw, please do! That would be cool to see @Andrew Smiths !

• S M
    7 months ago

green accents would be pretty, i think. here’s couple pics i have saved for accents i’m thinking of for our pink bathroom, if it helps 😊

Nicole Futino thanked S M
  • RedRyder
    7 months ago

I see what @Jilly sees. It doesn’t scream “pink” at all. Since your daughter is little, just add towels and call it a day. As she gets older, she can help choose a shower curtain she likes.

I agree that a plant takes up precious real estate in a small bathroom.

Nicole Futino thanked RedRyder
  • Nicole Futino
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks y’all! This community is the best.

So far I found a nice shower curtain from Urban Outfitters like one of you suggested, added a plant in the window sill, and I swapped out the hardware on the vanity. And we’ve started using the bathroom so some towels are thrown about. It’s definitely not feeling so overly pastel now that it’s been in use. 😁

(Excuse the dark photo, it's morning here so this bathroom doesn't yet have great photogenic light, haha!)

Thanks for the suggestions @S M. Now that I have some items in here I'm thinking of an analogous color scheme of deep pinks, purples, and oranges.... I may just keep the bathmat simple with a simple teak mat in a lighter wood for some variation.

• S M
    7 months ago

sounds pretty! I love pink and orange together too.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    7 months ago

I like what you’ve done so far. I would say the key is to include your child. It’s their bathroom.

• motupeg
    7 months ago

Another vote for a very soothing and nicely put together bathroom.

• S M
    7 months ago

baby won’t have an opinion for a few years lol

• RedRyder
    7 months ago

With the shower curtain in the photo, my thought was black and white striped towels and/or bath mat.

• PRO
    Ariana Designs LLC
    7 months ago

Wow, in my opinion it looks amazing. You did a very good job, I think when you add a plant and some decoration, soap dispensers etc. it will look great!

• User
    6 months ago

Looks beautiful!

• kelli_ga
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Not less pastel, but I would embrace flowers in a big way. Target is my go-to for fun shower curtains. I have the first one which is nice but surprisingly more muted and adult than I thought. It has a linen-like texture which makes it feel more expensive. I was hoping to find big pink and orange flowers which is my current obsession but did not look through all the choices. Here is what I found on Target.com so far:

I like the top right so far. I like the distribution of the top left.

You could also put a vase of flowers in the bathroom. I like wall vases over the toilet, but you have shelves. Amazon has real-touch fake flowers in all colors. They are a soft plastic like latex. The tulips and hydrangeas are really nice. They look real. You could buy real flowers too - some last about 3 weeks but require cleaning. I love the fake ones to add color.

I don’t think the bath is too pastel. I think the overall composition needs more contrast, and if you are up for a print on a shower curtain, or bold flowers, that would make it a happy place.

• Nicole Futino
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Oooh, I love these suggestions, @kelli_ga! Thank you! We already bought that peachy checked shower curtain from Urban Outfitters after someone's advice on here, and my husband will kill me if we buy another one so soon, but I love this direction. And I love the idea of real-touch fake flowers, I've never tried them before so this would be the perfect place to try them out. Really great suggestions!