Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corin_silvestrini43

Help me design this open floor plan--how would you design this space?

Corin Silvestrini
10 months ago

I can paint but this is a rental, my living room furniture is ivory. Need to get a dining table still and not sure what to do with the nook with the single window.

Just looking for feedback on how you would design this space! Any and all opinons welcome!

Thank you!

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Aardvark Architecture
    10 months ago

If you can afford the space, make sure to hang some plants from the ceiling near the windows. The soft green will really brighten up your space and draw the eye up away from what will likely be a rather crowded floor space.

• terrib962
    10 months ago

Use the little nook as office or computer area, craft area or sewing area. Table by kitchen door and for the living room, cut out cardboard pieces scaled to your pieces and draw the walls on a large paper to scale and move the pieces around on paper. Think about traffic flow, seeing TV from dining table (or not), and weird details like do you want the TV to be seen thru window from street. Also many people do not like backs to doors or windows - I never put my sofa back to a window.

• mytwo cents
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

I would use the nook as a reading nook/parlor, with books in the book shelf. I really enjoy chaise lounges, so I''d put one at the window with a floor lamp. Make sure there is small table but big enough table for coffee and cookies. I'd probably put a chair conversationally facing the chaise, but if I felt I needed a desk, I'd get a tall narrow secretary with pull down front, or a wall mount desk.

Mellina Wall Mount Laptop Desk · More Info

If you don't mind your back to a window feel free to put the sofa there. I'd get a round or square dining table, not a rectangle, for the back corner opposite the kitchen entry.

I would put plants on pedestals rather than hang them from the ceiling, but plants would love that space I'm sure and look great.

• RedRyder
    10 months ago

The small space can be an office or a play area if you have children (and their myriad toys). Or it can be a reading nook with a comfy chair and excellent lamp.

As was suggested, send your measurements (of the area and your furniture) and the pros will lay it out for you. Be exact about windows, doors and walls.

• PRO
    Breathe Design Studio
    7 months ago

Below are some ideas for you on what you might do with your space. If you're having a TV, it looks like the blank wall across from the fron door might be a good space for a TV. Then you can float a sofa or sectional facing the TV and leave a walkway behind it. There are also some ideas here from our designs on what you might do with your nook:

Living room:

Mueller Modern Scandinavian Farmhouse | Featured On Dwell · More Info

Music room:

Mueller Modern Scandinavian Farmhouse | Featured On Dwell · More Info

Living room:

Tranquil Minimal Modern Townhouse | As seen on Dwell.com · More Info

Small sitting area:

Rosedale Warm Modern Ranch House · More Info

Home office/desk:

Bee Caves Serene Contemporary Builder Home · More Info

Children's play area:

Bee Caves Serene Contemporary Builder Home · More Info