Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_180037553

1980 exterior update - looking for ideas

Liesel K
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

We are starting the process of updating our exterior - we bought the house a few years ago and wanted to live here a bit before making changes. Looking for ideas from the group on how to update. Some thoughts we have are:

1. Redoing entry way, doors and losing the 3 rectangles (and the decking at the entryway)

2. Moving away from the 1980s diagnoal siding

3. We think the roofline needs something above the entry way

4. We want to get rid of those strange chimney pipes

My Project · More Info

Comments (18)

• Sigrid
    10 months ago

That's a really cool house.

1) I'd bet those windows are giving your entryway a lot of light. I don't know your plan, but I'd be careful about removing windows.

2) The diagonal siding is an interesting design element. You house would look funky with clapboards or shingles. Even if it's not quite to your taste, keeping original design elements often looks better than replacing them with something else. You might try vertical or horizontal siding with no overlap (ie like board and batten without the battens).

3) I would not screw with the roofline. If you do, get an architect who can keep you within the style. You don't want a bastard style that is half modern/DeckHouse and half something else. The design was made so that the inset door gave you an overhang.

4) My bet would be that the pipes were placed to bring the house up to code, so that the top of the chimney is at least as high as the top of the roof. Check the code and review your options.

My take is that often loving the house you have (and yours is quite lovable) is better than trying to make it into your dream house. Rather than focusing on a flaw you see, appreciate the whole.

• Lyn Nielson
    10 months ago

do you use the fireplace? the height of the pipes is necessary for air flow, check into it before removing.

What kind of room Do the 3 verticle windows open into?

I would change them to full view windows.

Yes, the decking and porch are too bulky/prominent

Terrace down tothe ground for outdoor living space. especially on the rear near pool.

Liesel K thanked Lyn Nielson
  • palimpsest
    10 months ago

You will probably need to build up the chimney to the current height. The rule is something like if you are within ten feet of the peak the top of the chimney needs to be two feet above that height. If you are more than ten feet from the roof peak, it needs to be two feet above the highest point within the ten foot radius. It needs to be 3 feet higher than the roof where it emerges, since yours is at the low point of the roof the height will be dictated by the first two.

Liesel K thanked palimpsest
  • palimpsest
    10 months ago

The house has a very classic 80s contemporary shape with that shed roof off to the left. The entryway is at least sheltered a bit. I think most attempts to change that entry in to the current 2000s "Look right under this peak here, yes that's the front door, yes right there in the middle, I hope you can find it" is not going to be very successful. Your house has an overall set of forms that are not going to adapt well to added on changes and it will fight them. It's not a plain rectangle which can change appearance easily

Yes to changing the window arrangement at the front, and reducing the entry deck, but I would be careful about trying to make the house Not look like it is from the 80s because it clearly is, and it's not a bad example of it's form.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    10 months ago

I would do a cool pergola at the front - the size of the deck area. Maybe change the spindle to the horizontal cables. I would also paint that front door or change to a more modern style. I like the windows on the side but the whole thing should have trim around it so it looks like one unit. Maybe add trim to the windows as well - simple flat stock. I do also like the idea of a vertical siding. If you get to the point of changing the roof, that might be nicer if it was darker.

I actually like the quirky chimney!

Whatever you do, take your time with the changes. Do one thing at a time. That way you won't over do it and over spend.

Good luck!

Liesel K thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Liesel K
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you all. @palimpsest We definitely don't want to mess up the contemporary style, (even though it's not my favorite) - but we do want to make sure the siding, entryway are updated and decking in the front of the house is removed in favor of a more appropriate entry. We are looking to add a bonus room to the second story, and are going to work with an architect so that we do it in a way that updates that house without it looking odd... Definitely hard to find contemporary house updates and ours is really less "contemporary" than many we see

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

IMO the entry is awesome with the 3 rectangles I just think a glass entery door would be better. If you are planning an addition how will that change the exterior? I do not think the house needs a pergola ever. I would do an entry deck in the same style as the back deck and as for the siding is it in good shape ? If so why change that it is really suiting the house style which BTW will always be what it is unless you have a huge money tree . The first thing IMO is get the addition figured out and honestly I would just try to rearrange the interior insted of adding a space that sounds like it has no real purpose I actually dislike bonus rooms they either have a purpose or they should not be part of a good interior design.

• PRO
    Susan Tiritilli
    10 months ago

I think stucco would look nice and change the vibe. I like Debbie Washburn’s suggestion.

• Rho Dodendron
    10 months ago

The house is fourty years old. Soon it will be 'historic'. How many MCM houses used to seem awful looking and now they are back in vogue? How many houses from 1930's and 1940's were updated with new siding that was ripped off in disgust some years later?

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    10 months ago

I'm wondering what condition your diagonal siding is in? I have yet to see a house with any age on it that has diagonal siding that isn't rotting. The diagonal orientation allows was to stay on the wood and rot it.

Liesel K thanked Norwood Architects
  • Liesel K
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thats what is driving the exterior update, lots of rotting on the diagonal siding and along the back exterior. we will likely go with a horizontal and lose the diagonal which i believe tends to rot - and looks pretty outdated

• palimpsest
    10 months ago

Horizontal or vertical siding will look fine, vertical would be really appropriate. And if diagonal has a tendency to rot I am guessing I would not do that again.

But as far as being "outdated"...it suited the house, and changing the siding from diagonal to vertical or horizontal may be preferable for durability, but really it is not going to update the house in any way...it's the the shape of the house that give it it's character, and had the diagonal siding been in good condition, it wouldn't really matter if nobody does it on new houses, it is appropriate to your 40 year old house. Nobody puts gingerbread on a new house either, like they did on Victorians, but it's still appropriate to Victorian houses.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    10 months ago

looks like you have the shed style roof w/a Tudor styl chimeny! odd

I think revamping it so it has they style would look great

Look at Lauren Leiss' redo of a very similar home

check out the link

https://hookedonhouses.net/2015/08/06/before-after-how-lauren-liess-updated-her-house-from-the-70s/

The rear yard:

here are some others

check out this before and after too

https://averageinspired.com/2020/07/our-1970s-house-exterior-makeover.html

Love the black and white

But the dark charcoal and wood accents is very striking

This one has the similar rock like yours. don't know if you're keeping it. if you do, I'd go dark siding wwood accents somewhere

If you want to completely redo the front, I'd consult an architect who can do a vintage comtemporary and really make a showpiece out of it

here's a few more links so you get ideas of what the afters can look like:

https://moderncharlotte.com/70s-80s-moderns/

https://www.brickandbatten.com/1980s-contemporary-home-update/

https://jillianlare.com/1980s-contemporary-home-makeover/

https://www.decoist.com/1980s-manor-house-contemporary-renovation/

Here's a makeover on the inside of one

https://degnandesignbuildremodel.com/interior-design-update-1980s-contemporary-home

Liesel K thanked Beth H. :
  • hbeing
    10 months ago

why get rid of front decking? seems super handy and comfortably roomy.

• lmckuin
    10 months ago

I love your house - definitely don’t add a pergola.

Liesel K thanked lmckuin
  • tozmo1
    10 months ago

When I first saw the pic of your house my reaction was, "Cool!" The chimney pipes stick out because of the color. Painting them is all you need.

Love the door set but yes, you do need the entry door to be glass. Or, you could change to a cool double door with a lot of style like this one but not sure of your budget:

Delray Beach Residence · More Info

If you have a killer front door, then your roofline needs to be as is to let the door shine.

Your roof line isn't missing anything. I think your eye is just getting trained to the current trend of Hobbit House meets Swiss Chalet look that seems to be all the rage right now with steep peaks randomly stuck on roof lines. At least that's what I'm seeing in my area.

Your choice to replace the decking should be made in alignment with your siding selection. What you have seems fine to me (change color) but if it needs to be replaced I'd go with something less traditional looking i.e. change the posts and finials.

Redo the siding, select a color that compliments the stone but downplays the coral shades. Seems the prior owner was pulling that color on to the deck and the chimney pipes. I'd downplay it. Power wash the chimney to find out what color it really is and then select a color for the house.

It's a great house. Sorry it's not to your taste exactly but there is so much to love about it. Those pavers out front alone make my heart go pity pat over what it would cost to replace them today. A delightful Japanese Maple to greet you, just lovely.

All the best to you on this!

Liesel K thanked tozmo1
  • P.D. Schlitz
    10 months ago

You have a nice example of “cedar contemporary” home— a bridge between MCM and the postmodern/contemporary architectural styles around today. In some niche areas/ circles, these types of homes can be sought-after (esp for persons that are into MCM but in an area that lacks midcentury housing types).

Check out the homes on Sea Ranch CA for some potential inspiration with any modifications you do. I think the front of your house has good appeal, but the architect may have checked out a little on the back of the house, which, if doing an addition, might be a good place to focus on trying to unify the home’s massing. I’d go ultra-modern with some upgraded windows/doors on the front of the house, but otherwise leave it mostly as-is.

Liesel K thanked P.D. Schlitz