Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_f17

Neutral to deep, high contrast living room

Sarah F.
last year

I was not sure about the wall color I had going on in my living room (greige). I think it worked but it just wasn't quite what I was looking for. I went for dark, cool charcoal paint and softened that with neutral roman shades. I also updated my furniture to better fit my space. I know it isn't finished but I'm happier with it.

Comments (27)

• Sarah F.
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

With natural light only to better show tones...

• Sarah F.
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Jilly! Thanks so much for your comment! Yup, something needs to happen with the rug. The furniture was just rearranged multiple times - to paint and then to put up the roman shades (today) but I'm with you- it will look better with the rug tucked under. Thank you so much!

• Jilly
    last year

I was so worried about offending you, whew. :)

I love your sectional — I recently bought two velvet olive sofas and keep rubbing my hands on them. They feel so good. :D

• Sarah F.
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi Jilly- I am not easily offended. What I am is opinionated. I know what I like and it's hard to talk me into something I don't like. But I'm not easily offended, just stubborn lol. But we are on the same page there (i.e., about the rug)!

• Sarah F.
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Jilly- thanks for liking the sectional! It's the Astaire sectional from Room and Board in a custom fabric (which meant a wait but I am very happy with it). I love green velvet. My other green chair is a vintage chair that I had recovered in green velvet.

• ilikefriday
    last year

This a wonderful remake of what was already a nice room. Paint can totally transform a space. You did a great job!

• wsea
    last year

Lovely colors. so more unsolicited advice, but maybe try turning the sectional slightly so thr V opens towards the chairs more and the back follows the walls a bit.

• Sarah F.
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks wsea - I will see about rearranging the sectional a bit!

• Brian Hill
    last year

I love dark colors like that in a living room. I find them much more inviting than light neutrals, and they have such a confident sense of taste. The lush sectional then really completes the comfortable, loungey-yet-classy, vibe.

• elcieg
    last year

Sad face, here. I loved the before.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

So beautiful! Love it! Agree on shifting sectional a bit. Wonderful room and not easy to work with. You nailed it.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    last year

Looks great, Agree on changing the layout as well.

• Sarah F.
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for everyone's comments! I really obsessed over these choices, particularly colors--spent a long time with swatches, holding up roman shade fabric swatches to the couch swatch and paint swatches to make sure I was happy with everything. It's nice to have your support and reinforcement now that it's done! I will look at the arrangement though.

• Dawn Martinez
    last year

@Sarah F. inviting and cozy, and the depth and coordination of colors is fantastic. Worth the time spent with swatches! Love that green velvet sectional with the wall color. Well done!

• zealart
    11 months ago

It looks so cozy. Also love your sofa.

• kodiac23
    11 months ago

Beautiful, love the color, super cozy now!

• K Laurence
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Great color. R & B my favorite. Almost all of my furniture from there, great quality & even better customer service. Their delivery team is amazing !

• Sarah F.
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks again, everyone! Hey, I hope I didn't ruin the room! I had wall shelves up before the painting and I put some deeper ones up (on L). Does it wreck the look?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 months ago

My only critique is the floating shelves are too high. Down about 12” would work better.

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

That color is terrific! The room went from pretty to wow. And using the dark color for the trim was a good decision.

How many colors were in consideration before you decided on this one? I can only imagine but you really nailed it.

I love green anything and a green comfy couch is a winner!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 months ago

Might just add two more shelves below those if wall holes are a problem.

• Sarah F.
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks Guys! RedRyder, I considered a lot of gray blues in different depths. I knew I wanted a gray with some blue undertone but I wasn't sure how blue or how dark until I fell in love with Clare Irony (pictured on walls).

• Sarah F.
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Flo! Thanks! I actually mapped out where the shelves were on the wall before it was painted (as I was happy with them at that time) and then did it the same height but it looks like I was off the mark there. Thanks, I will look at moving them at some point.

• Sarah F.
    Original Author
    11 months ago

P.S. Here it is with the lamp on - I think i thought mounting the wall shelves high would give the lamp and any end table breathing room. Let me know if you think i could fill in the space in other ways (like by putting a vase on top of the end table or a bigger end table)?

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

Wow, this is fantastic. I love the roman shades, which can somtimes look fussy, but not here. Great that you painted the trim and wall color the same. And the dark color really makes your floors pop. Come do my house next?

• Dawn Martinez
    11 months ago

Sarah F. how about an organic basket in the shape of a vase...like this on the other end table to balance with the lamp and other table? Not sure of the scale, but I liked the look of something more natural there in your space. Thoughts?