Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_17122885

Art in open floor plan before & after (thanks to you!)

User
last year
last modified: last year

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my post about how to showcase art that doesn't "match" in an open floor plan. (The "before" pics are in that thread...I can't seem to find them on my hard drive anymore!)

I took everything to heart, and also hired a designer friend of mine to help. The results (so far) are below. I still need to do things like get filler for the floor vase in the LR, and find a rug for under the kitchen table. Also, we have an incredible-looking black and brass, 9-globe chandelier on order for the DR.

But I am so thrilled...I walk around and feel like I'm home. Like this is me. (And yes, my family loves it as well, though DS isn't thrilled with his huge portrait being front & center.)

The oil painting of a horse is from an artist on Etsy. The black/white painting of three people and the crown painting above the fireplace are by a friend (both acrylics). The rest are my own creations, all oil (two of them digitally altered). I went to Pixels.com to get the three small portraits printed on metal, the large portrait printed/framed/matted, and the "boy on beach" abstract painting printed/framed/matted.

My favorite things: The mantel vases, all the table lamps (so bright and pretty), the colorful DR rug, the entryway with the ottomans and my pear painting, the new ceiling lamps, and the way the white walls seem to unify the art.

Thank you again for all your suggestions and encouragement!

AFTER

Comments (17)

• User
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, @ilikefriday, you were a huge inspiration! Yes, they are printed on metal. Someone (you?) suggested metal prints in my bathroom DIY thread and I thought it would be a good way to mix things up.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

What a warm and welcoming home! I love that you can display all the art and you’re enjoying it. Well done 👏🏻

• ilikefriday
    last year

I think it was @User who suggested it.

You are so talented and I love seeing your pieces scattered throughout. I think it adds so much personality. I see the piece you originally planned for your bathroom is now by your staircase. Did you put something different in the bathroom?

• User
    Original Author
    last year

Oh yes, @ilikefriday, thank you to @User for the idea! And no...I actually painted one of the cloud paintings for the bathroom—you might not be able to see it, but they have a bit of pink—and then decided it would look good in the kitchen as a pair, so I painted another one.

Thanks, @Connecticut Yankeeeee! It's pretty exciting to feel like my house finally reflects my style and interests.

• ilikefriday
    last year

I think I spotted the painting that you shared of your kids above the sofa. Pink clouds? I don't see them and I want to see it all! Can you share photos of your bathroom?

These are the kinds of rooms I could look at for hours. I love homes with so many personal touches. What is the next project on your list?

• User
    Original Author
    last year

@ilikefriday here's a closeup of one of the clouds in the gold/gray painting...the pink didn't really show up in the whole-room photos. And the DIY bathroom is also below. The cloud painting was originally meant for the bathroom, but it ended up the gold and pink worked well with the new downstairs design!

Yes, the small metal portraits are of my niece, nephew, and son, and that's also my son in the large portrait. The colorful one above the sofa is my son with two of his friends (it's called "3 iPhones" because they're all holding their phones :) The black/white painting of three people, by a friend of mine, are just random people...he gifted me the painting when I visited, which was so nice,

Next project...there's one big, blank wall in the dining room, which looks awkward but doesn't seem the right place for yet another painting. DH wants to see if he can create something sculptural or textured, etc., just for some visual interest there. He's very artistic and hasn't flexed his visual art muscles in years, so I'm excited to see what he comes up with.

How about you? Any new paintings or designs to share?

• lisaam
    last year

Seeing a home with interesting art is a treat and yours looks terrific.

It’s sadder when those manufactured couch-matching anonymous abstracts are the safe choice.

• martir
    last year

Beautiful house. Who is the Etsy artist who painted the horse?

• User
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you @martir and @lisaam! I so agree about the generic hotel-lobby art, though I totally get why it's popular. (Easy, on-trend, inexpensive, always looks good). I had a bunch of it when we first moved in, and I also used it when staging our last home for sale. (Take down that photo wall and replace it with a large blue abstract from Home Goods!)

The Etsy artist is here. I wanted a very large version of this one horse painting she had, so she created it for me and shipped it over rolled up in a tube. It took several months (maybe five?), and she showed me the progress and tweaked the colors, etc. as she went along. I had it professionally framed and was shocked that the framing cost about as much as the painting! but I'm so happy I did it.

• ilikefriday
    last year

The clouds are mesmerizing. I love them and the color combo is perfectperfect! Your dh's project sounds fun.

I haven't done much painting myself lately but yesterday my kid started a portrait that I outlined for him. I think it is his first painting project since pre-K andand he is now in highschool. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

I did create a DIY headboard a month or two ago and I painted and revamped a chandelier. I'm trying to add a little character to my bedroom. That is the extent of my artistic endeavorendeavorsendeavors lately.

Repeating charactercharacters. . Why does Houzz do this to me??????

• martir
    last year

Thanks Linda for the Etsy link. Her work is just beautiful.

• User
    Original Author
    last year

@ilikefriday I've had that issue when using Houzz on my phone. But I love hearing that my color combo is perfectperfect! :)

That all sounds amazing. It's so cool that your son is getting back into art, or at least giving it a try. My kid used to be very, very into art...until he hit middle school where it is apparently very not cool. But I think he still has that creative drive, and his principal tells me that in high school kids start "moving towards center" in terms of their personalities and interests.

Would love to see how your son's project turns out, and your project pics! I've always wanted to upholster our 20-y-o Pier 1 headboard.

• ilikefriday
    last year

Kids are particular about what is cool! I will share his portrait once it is complete. I hope that some day my son's creative drive becomes what he considers the cool factor! A mom can dream.

I added some photos of my headboard to my idea book. I made it out of plastic bowls, MDF, and molding.😂😂😂. I think that is cool. The middle portion was repurposed from my previous DIY headboard.

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/spaces-phvw-vp~196930685

What ideas do you have for your Pier 1 headboard?

• User
    Original Author
    last year

@ilikefriday that headboard is STUNNING. I love everything about your home. I can't wait to show DH your headboard—he actually was an artist way back when, and this looks like something he would really enjoy seeing.

I was just thinking of a simple padding and fabric for ours, or maybe spray painting the whole thing (it's wicker with a steel frame). Not nearly as ambitious!

• ilikefriday
    last year

Thanks for the compliment!

When you are ready to redo your headboard post some photos. When I decided to try it I looked at a few YT videos. I didn't see exactly what I was looking for, so I did my own thing but I did find some amazing ideas for other styles of headboards. YT is fabulous for this. There are some incredibly creative people in this world who are willing to share their designs on YT. I love it.

• User
    Original Author
    last year

@ilikefriday Will do...and thanks for the YT tip!