Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gatorrob91

Exterior renovation before and after

Robert
last year
last modified: last year

Bought our house nine years ago and during that span we have now completely renovated the house inside and out. We just completed our final exterior project in which we extended the roof to cover the balcony, replaced all the fascia and soffit, installed a metal roof and and replaced some stucco with Hardie plank siding.

Comments (38)

• Susan
    last year

Gorgeous!! Congratulations!!Well done!!

Robert thanked Susan
  • Sigrid
    last year

It's lovely. If I were going to nitpick, I'd say one shutter a piece on two of your 3 visible windows looks strange. I'm not a fan of geometric plants, so I would not prune the pink thing (Bougainvillia?) into an unnatural shape.

Other than that, gorgeous.

Robert thanked Sigrid
  • jackowskib
    last year

Stunning transformation!

Robert thanked jackowskib
  • Robert
    Original Author
    last year

Sigrid, thanks for the input. I had shutters on the one window without before the recent reno. I decided not to put them back up since that is the siding instead of stucco. And the two windows with only one shutter, I know is not ideal, but there isn't enough room between the window and the door. I felt it was a little plain without. The bougainvillea we have to constantly trim so it doesn't get any bigger. It is already very top heavy and is attached to the balcony with cables.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Looks very good. Love that you extended the roof over the balcony! Also like the color you have chosen.

Robert thanked Norwood Architects
  • anna_682
    last year

Great transformation

Robert thanked anna_682
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

That’s lovely! A very nice transformation and you chose a beautiful color.

Robert thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • Kendrah
    last year

Great landscaping, nice color.

Robert thanked Kendrah
  • jck910
    last year

Just wow!! Love it

Robert thanked jck910
  • Mrs. S
    last year

What a great remodel! I too love the color.

Robert thanked Mrs. S
  • Cate
    last year

Great transformation! re the shutters just do a window trim all the way around instead of the shutters

Robert thanked Cate
  • PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

WOW! Looks fabulous!

Robert thanked FrameMyMirror
  • J Mig
    last year

I love how your gate mirror is the pattern in the wrought iron of the balconies. I would love to see a picture that shows your roof as well.

Robert thanked J Mig
  • Anna Devane
    last year

well done Robert, well done!

Robert thanked Anna Devane
  • btydrvn
    last year

I also think the tree ….and hedge,also … are out of sync with your new look… too big ,too pruned.. too asymmetrical…and covering too much of your beautiful newly re-done home…

Robert thanked btydrvn
  • Robert
    Original Author
    last year

The hedge we need for privacy since we have a pool in the front yard. It was the only place we had room for a pool.

• Robert
    Original Author
    last year

This shows a little bit of the new metal roof. Unfortunately the metal roof isn’t very visible standing close to the house. More visible from down the street though.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

Gorgeous, love the green, and agree that the shutters up top should go. 🙂🍾

Robert thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • J Mig
    last year

Thanks for posting a roof pic. My previous post should have said “gate mirror’s”. How did we survive before the oh-so-helpful Auto-correct?

Robert thanked J Mig
  • Robert
    Original Author
    last year

Do you think it would be ok to eliminate the shutters on the second floor and keep the shutters on lower level?

• Robert
    Original Author
    last year

Should I remove all the black shutters?

• btydrvn
    last year

Yes…mainly because shutters should be in scale with the windows ..have some semblance of function……and shouldn’t be added just as a trim detail…the house is impressive…. without them

Robert thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    last year

Love the private interior garden and pool area…still a little confused about the brick area outside the garden area?…does that go out to the street?is it the public sidewalk?parking?

Robert thanked btydrvn
  • Robert
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

The pics are from the street. The pavers outside the fence and hedge is off street parking. If I get my friend with a drone to take some pictures soon, I'll post them.

• Robert
    Original Author
    last year

So remove all the shutters or just the two on the second floor?

• btydrvn
    last year

All…and can’t wait to see pictures of a fuller view..

• Cate
    last year

I think remove all shutters and put a wide wood trim around entire windows

• btydrvn
    last year

Did anyone ask where you are located?…and are tiny lots normal in your city ….or is this a historic area?…i know I usually love any climates that support bougainvilleas that enthusiastically…used to travel to southern Florida every winter from Northern Ca.

• Robert
    Original Author
    last year

I’m in South Florida. In the town of Ocean Ridge. Most of Ocean Ridge has 1/4 acre lots but I’m in a section of town with smaller lots. We love it here. It’s nice to be one block from the beach.

• btydrvn
    last year

Of course…we used to spend winters in that area..all along the coast really …and I lived in Key West for a few years….being by the beach has it pluses and minuses, of course…but I love the areas like yours with a cool neighborly vibe…the real plus for you is if you ever move on …they will be beating down the door to buy your house!

• Robert
    Original Author
    last year

Here's a pic without the black shutters.

• btydrvn
    last year

Love it…maybe the best part is …how the surrounding greenery…gives the special kind of privacy..history….🥲makes me miss our winters in Florida

Robert thanked btydrvn
  • Robert
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the advice. I like it without the shutters!

• Kate
    last year

Looked great before, but even better without the shutters!

Robert thanked Kate
  • BW_TX
    last year

I love the nicely shaped hedges. I think it frames the house nicely and goes well with the fence. For the bougainvillea (really like the pop of color it provides), maybe you could train it to grow along the balcony so that it's not a squared off as someone mentioned above?

Robert thanked BW_TX
  • btydrvn
    last year

The bougainvillea would definitely look better if extremely thinned …re-sculpted to an airier more open shape…with a delicate silhouette …

Robert thanked btydrvn
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

Lovely!!

Robert thanked ShadyWillowFarm