Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenmacintexas

Modern Mediterranean- Repainting White- Garage Color/ Downspout Help?!

Jen Mac
last year

Hello! We are wanting to update our home and we are painting the exterior white (BM White Dove), and the gutters/fascia black (SW Tricorn Black). We love a great Spanish revival look, but I also want to be sure to keep the architectural integrity of the style of our home. I am thinking to have the downspouts painted white to hide them, and while eventually I would like to install a wood garage door (Our front door is a gorgeous mahogany) its not an option now. We also live in Houston, with a super muggy and hot climate so not sure that wood is a good choice. What color should we paint the garage door? White? Black? Use it as a feature being that it is in-set to the porte-cochere? Should I paint the gables black or white? I am going for an elegant and timeless look with a bit of flair. The solar screens are coming off, and the windows are white. Thank you!

Comments (19)

• Jen Mac
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! So not an architect or designer here. The house came with that blocky embattlement and it’s been the bane of our existence with wasted space at the top. Also, all of plant does with the most recent freeze, so landscaping will come in the spring. We live in a tropical climate with unfortunate recurring polar vortexes killing all the things. Thanks for your help!

• Jen Mac
    Original Author
    last year

*plants died

• houssaon
    last year
    last modified: last year

I can see black gutters, since your roof is black. Definitely paint the leaders the same color as the siding.

It seems every other house being built or remodeled is done in white with black trim. I would look at grays for a change.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

The garage stucco can be embellished to complement the home. Add a coachlight with a moustache bracket.

Lots of companies make foam architectural details that can be glued to the face of the stucco and then painted.

• Jen Mac
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! Yes, I agree in that all the new homes are white with black trim. This house was built in ‘90 and it was white originally, with hunter green trim. I appreciate a timeless design, but I also don’t want do the on trend thing too much either. We do have a black and white, high contrast aesthetic inside of our home as well. I agree on the downspouts and leovers (sp). Thanks again! Garage?

• RedRyder
    last year

If you paint that garage black it will really look more “cave-like”. Keep it whatever light color chosen for the body of the house.

Have you looked at BM Swiss Coffee? It’s white with a beige (coffee) undertone that might be lovely with your architecture. It’s brighter than your current color but may be a good white for your home.

• Jen Mac
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, that’s what I was afraid of. I was trying to explain this to my husband as well. It’s the large, blocky enclosure that makes him feel that we need some contrast there. But I agree with you. I will look at BM Swiss Coffee, for sure. Our neighbors (across the street) just used Alabaster, and our homes get a lot of direct sunlight…. It seems a bit yellow at times (could be a direct reflection of the actual sun). We have White Dove throughout our interior, and it works there, but a beige undertone could serve us well. Thank you! I think they are beginning to paint next week, so it’s time to make decisions :)!

• palimpsest
    last year

Whatever you decide for the gutters, I would keep the downspouts the same as the color of the body of the house.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Sometimes it's difficult to see the undertone in color unless you place it next to a pure white. Alabaster from SW is a warm white.

Here is a comparison between SW Alabaster and BM Alabaster which is more neutral and less warm.

White Dove is also decidedly warm in tone.

There are neutral whites to pick from out there.

• K Laurence
    last year

My home is Spanish Revival, similar to the ones Beverly posted, so it’s nothing like yours, however, it’s painted in Sherwin Williams ”Jogging Path”. I really like it, it’s light but not as harsh as white would be. i don’t think i’d like white on your house. I’ll try to find what our trim coloris.

• Jen Mac
    Original Author
    last year

Update- we have begun to paint, and we decided to keep the garage door the same color as the body of the house. The downspouts will also be the same color. We chose BM White Dove. Here is a picture of what it looks like on the main part of the house during the day and during the evening. I’ll upload more when they finish. Thank you for your help!

• RedRyder
    last year

That looks fabulous! Your house is so pretty! The white was the right choice.

• PRO
  • Jen Mac
    Original Author
    last year

@beverly I LOVE THIS! I have been searching for a hanging lantern or something similar to fill this space. That is STUNNING. I didn’t even think about this space.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Would suggest if you are not going to replace your garage door that you paint it the same color as the body of the house. However, replacing your garage door with one that matches the features of your entry door would make a lot of sense and give the house more cohesion. Good luck!

• Jen Mac
    Original Author
    last year

@norwoodarchitects thank you! Yes, we want to replace the garage door eventually. Do you know what material would work best for a hot and humid climate? For now, we have matched it to the body of the home. So glad we did!

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    last year

Looks good!

• RedRyder
    last year

@Jen Mac I would ask a garage door company the question about humidity. So far, the garage looks great - as does the house.

@BeverlyFLADeziner gave you a terrific idea for lighting!