Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_669070141

1960s Brick Ranch House Remodel/Reno help!

HU-669070141
last year

Hi there! My husband and I just bought our first home. I would love to hear any ideas to help curb appeal. We already ordered all new windows and replaced the roof (it's black now). We want to redo the front porch but don't know what to do with it as well as some landscaping. The roof doesn't cover the porch enough to put up wooden poles. Thanks so much!

Comments (10)

• Yvonne Martin
    last year

Tell us what windows you ordered. Are they a simple replacement or a totally different style or a different color?

• decoenthusiaste
    last year
    last modified: last year

Probably need to remove the shutters and storm door. Then you may need a new front door. Your lights need upgrading and enlarging (1/3 of the front door's height.). The time to redo the porch with a new roof would have been when you installed the black shingles. You should post a photo once the new windows are in and we can go from there, since that's the investment you've already made.

• happyleg
    last year

Yes remove shutters & we have storm door. Did remove once, but the door became chalky. I had to repaint & put in a new storm door. Mine is now an off white door. You can paint the front door a black or white.

• happyleg
    last year

A tree or bush in front. Larger porch light.

• Sigrid
    last year

I find the bright white a bit glaring with the brick. You need more landscaping. Put a pretty tree in your yard.

• millworkman
    last year

Yes, what style windows? Direct size replacement? What about the garage door, trim and gutters?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

We needto see it as it is now. No front porch andpillars and no shutters . Please embrace the style it is and stop trying to make it something else Landscaping will draw out the style of the house to better than it is with no additional stuff added to the house.

• Whatever
    last year

Put in a shade tree to shade the porch area put another sizable tree maybe further up the yard on the right and a smaller flowering tree. Spend a little to have trees you can enjoy and not the next person. And know the trees will help sell when you are ready to buy the second house. Looks like the porch is almost ground level consider extending into a patio area and a planter area . open the area by getting rid of the iron railing.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

Do you use the garage? Once you have a plan, maybe replace that door. Any plans on eventually enclosing the carport? If not, you can box the posts and do a railing to matthe front porch. Is the front porch wide enough for a bench or other seating.