Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumyers57

To use fabric or vinyl for a kitchen window seat?

sumyers57
last year

This will be my third covering for our kitchen window seat. The kitchen window seat is 35 years old and has been through our two boys and many family dinners. I made the cover for the first one out of a sturdy cotton washable fabric. For the second cover, I bought was a newish quilted bedspread at a thrift store and had it made with zippers with the thought I could easily remove it for laundering. Well the grandkids came along and have loved sitting there eating their chocolate chip pancakes as much as we love them being here! But the cushion covers have needed a lot of laundering which I thought should be a breeze. Basically they are too long and the zippers have broken when I have removed and replaced. All this to give some background on my question. My husband wants to use vinyl for easy clean up, which is probably the best idea. I lean more for fabric but my history with that hasn't been great. I am going to break up the cushions instead of one long piece for the bottom and back.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year
    last modified: last year

Do like they do in the restaurant booth: they use a heavy-grade woven fabric for the back and a coordinated vinyl for the seat.

Don't split cushions, just "railroad" the vinyl or fabric so there are no seams.

No one wants to sit on the crack especially if the upholstery is vinyl.

sumyers57 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Jilly
    last year

I’d use high performance (high rub count) fabric, and in a textured material, such as tweed, tapestry, etc.

You might consider pillows in the back, rather than cushions:

But I like your idea of breaking up the cushion, too::

sumyers57 thanked Jilly
  • latifolia
    last year

Sunbrella upholstery fabric.

• Lyndee Lee
    last year

Have you considered oilcloth? It is regular fabric bonded with clear waterproofing so you get the look of fabric but easy to clean

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    last year

I've had good luck with Sunbrella outdoor fabric for seat cushion covers. Comes in many colors and machine washable.

sumyers57 thanked Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
  • Emily R.
    last year

Three covers in 35 years seems pretty good to me!! ;)

sumyers57 thanked Emily R.
  • Maureen
    last year

Not a fan of vinyl, both visually and from a comfort perspective. Like the idea of using a floral fabric to enhance the solarium feel and add a few cushions with removable covers. The space will feel more inviting as well.

Suggest a treated fabric that has a darker background and when grandkids come over simply cover seating.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

I think you are asking your seat covers to last waaaay too long. And I also think vinyl would be unattractive.

Use a good quality fabric. And when the grandkids are there with messy foods, throw a twin size fitted sheet over it. When they leave, pop the sheet off and wash it.

The kids won’t be kids for long.

sumyers57 thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • arcy_gw
    last year

We used vinyl. It aids when sliding in but your bench is so open. 35 years ago I would have said vinyl for sure but now, your grands visit occasionally, you don't want to stick to vinyl so I would go for a pretty cloth. Dress it for YOU not the grands.

sumyers57 thanked arcy_gw
  • sumyers57
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for all the great comments. I'm still looking at materials and getting a lot of ideas. I hadn't thought about when splitting the cushions someone would be sitting on the crack. My interior design friend has given me a website of vinyl materials to check out. Now I need to decide on the color!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

About all I can add is that a textured vinyl surface holds dirt and grime. Smooth surfaces are more easily wiped clean.