Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnalorenz

Front Door Colour

donnalorenz
last year

Hi everyone, so thank you to the Houzz member who found a Romabio painter near me last year! I was finally far along enough in the outdoor projects to pick a paint colour and have the house done. Good bye dirty yellow brick. I picked a Sherwin Williams colour "Pavestone". I had always intended to paint the door a maroon/red - but now that the house is done - I'm flirting with the idea of a green door! The deck will be finished soon, with black skirting, black railings and pickets. The carport will also be trimmed in black aluminum. Next year I'm hoping to replace the windows and will consider black. Do any of these colours appeal to you or should I stick with the maroon/red?

Comments (13)

• elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

This is S W Pave Stone. I'm not seeing that color on your house.

Anyway, black windows, black on the front deck, I would go with a black front door.

donnalorenz thanked elcieg
  • donnalorenz
    Original Author
    last year

Yup, that's the colour - in the sunlight, it appears lighter. Picking an exterior colour was the hardest thing I've ever done I think - it just kept changing depending on the weather and the sunlight, and what side of the house it was on!

• btydrvn
    last year

I think all those colors would look good… the blue may be “friendlier”…warmer…but the green may be a crisper contrast with black trim..

donnalorenz thanked btydrvn
  • kculbers
    last year

A sage green door would be a wonderful choice, and brighten up your home.

donnalorenz thanked kculbers
  • Rachel Lee
    last year

A gray/ dusty green

donnalorenz thanked Rachel Lee
  • donnalorenz
    Original Author
    last year

Lori, fantastic information! Wow, thank you so much! I was playing around on the visualizer and came up with my final choices - based only on screen, so obviously getting chips is the next step and then a tester pot. Based on your colour lesson, I see that I'm getting closer with the greens. The inside of my house is "beachy" with light sandy colour floors, and a wonderful blue/green kitchen called "Stillwater" so I set out to find a blue too. The "Cool Avocado" was recommended as a complimentary colour to "Pavestone" by Sherwin Williams and in fact, I quite liked it too.

I really liked the greens you found Lori - although sadly those paint brands are probably not available in Canada but I will certainly check. I can get the CMYK values from the Hex codes though and that may work.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    last year

I can get the CMYK values from the Hex codes though and that may work.

It's easier than that. 🙂Your paint store will have their version of PPG and DE formulas in their data base.

CMYK is cyan, magenta, yellow and key ink colors. Literally the cartridges loaded into a printer. They don't correlate to paint colors at all.

Same with HEX and RGB values - they don't define or describe paint colors in any way. Instead theses values are proportional instructions for a device. They instruct a device how much of each red, green and blue channel of light it needs to light up to mimic an in real life paint color.

CIELAB values are what every paint manufacturer uses to create, make and manage colors.

It's like color DNA and it's pretty easy to get. And you can transform it into formats like hue, value, chroma that describe what a color looks like in the same way the human vision system works.

But it's color nerd kind of stuff and not widely published so not many know where paint colors actually come from or the correct way to define and describe their appearance.

donnalorenz thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • donnalorenz
    Original Author
    last year

It's easier than that. 🙂Your paint store will have their version of PPG and DE formulas in their data base.

HOT DIGGITY! It also occurred to me that I could get the Pantone colours from the info you provided, but your way is way easier, LOL! Thanks again, your information has been invaluable.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

Whoa! Totally learned something new today! I personally love the "cool avocado" or that pretty blue color. Blue is always so inviting! Seems like you have the tools to move forward! Good luck finishing your project :)

donnalorenz thanked FrameMyMirror
  • donnalorenz
    Original Author
    last year

Hi everyone! In case you were wondering.... here's the end result! Picked the blue because it flows into the colour palette on the inside, which is beachy, with light wood floors and a kitchen cabinet colour called "Still Water" which is like a Tiffany blue.

Thanks for everyone's interest and feedback!

• kculbers
    last year

Nice color!

donnalorenz thanked kculbers
  • cat_ky
    last year

Love the blue. You made the right choice. Now, some porch furniture, with cushions that have that same blue in them, and it will look fabulous.

donnalorenz thanked cat_ky