Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claire_vahue

Exterior help and ideas

Claire Vahue
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello! I’m in need of ideas and the Houzz community has been a great resource! We are painting the exterior iron ore and trim tricorn black. The dilemma is with the old front door space (now filled in with exterior wood) and the new front door and to the left of it. This is a house out in the country with some out buildings, and I’m hoping to have some sort of continuity. I have the same stone as an option for surrounding it. I want to get rid of the ”garage conversion” look, but need to be budget friendly. The white fascia will be black, and I’m thinking of square pavers to create a pathway to new front door.

The landscaping in the first story part of house will be Russian sage and tall grasses. There will be a one step up stoop in front of new door—any suggestions as to size and style? These lights will be on either side of the big four windows and one to the left of the old front door. Thanks so much!

This shows the old burgandy front door before it was removed. The new single front door has been installed in this picture.

Gazebo with pond to right.

Pole barn in backbackground; shed in front. (Convert shed to sauna in my dreams?)

Love this look!

Picture of entire house

Comments (15)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

Im very confused as to why if you can get the stone in place you didnt apply the same siding since you are painting it all?

• Claire Vahue
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi! Thanks for commenting! I would have to ”rob Peter to pay Paul” and take the stone off from the lower level of the two-story part and install it on the old front door area. As to why there is vertical siding on the old front door area, my husband made this decision. We can use the wood there for another project.

What are your thoughts on siding the entire area around the four windows with planks? Thanks again!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

Personally I would have just left the old door on and then fabricated a old style

Claire Vahue thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Claire Vahue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi! The door door was moved due to to needs and flow of the space. I’m excited to move forwad with the new location and designation of rooms. Thanks!

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

Those narrow windows are tragic as it looks like you are on a lovely lot with no neighbors on top of you. Have you ever considered changing the windows to something larger?

Claire Vahue thanked kandrewspa
  • Claire Vahue
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Good morning! We are focusing on other areas, but yes, it is a lovely lot-8 acres, trout steam, fields, forest. It’s also a second home with a more mindful budget for my family. Thanks!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

Just thinking make it a dummy door, looks real but doesnt function. the vertical slats are just so out of pace, its always going to look like an afterthought. i would really say, talk to the DH and say put shingles there. Or why not a window and fill in with the stone at the bottom. than you would have cause for the vertical slats around the other square windows? Otherwise, fill in the bottom with field stone and paint the top half then new house color. Oh and you need to remove those lights that are next to the old door as well. Then with landscape you can put a shrub there that will disguise it.

• Claire Vahue
    Original Author
    last year

We went ahead with painting—most budget friendly and easiest solution. Have some landsc in place.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

looks good I agree I would break up the old entry walk way and expand the bed maybe put in a forsythias would be a bold flower to play off the dark background.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

also I would remove the lights from either side of that door and just cap them and paint the cap the wall color.

• Claire Vahue
    Original Author
    last year

Update! First of all, thanks for all the ideas! My mom and I completed the stone by new front foor and transplanted grasses and black—eyed Susans. Need to complete ledge above rocks, remainder of landscaping project and paint second story. Next up is building a stoop in front of the door. Any ideas sbout size for stoop? Thanks again!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

What if you did like a half moon shape or half circle shape to kind of break up all the straight edges and brought it out a little further to create some design element

• jck910
    last year

Make it as wide as the stone on each side of the door. Curved might work, lay it out with some stones to get the best length from the house

Claire Vahue thanked jck910
  • Claire Vahue
    Original Author
    7 months ago

The ideas from everyone served as great inspiration. We ended up installing a French drain, thus creating a larger garden area than originally planned. The birch saplings will hopefully grow and provide a soft view looking at the front if the house. I still need to create a walkway with pavers to the front door and finish painting, but it close enough for us to feel a real sense of accomplish and joy when we pull into the driveway.

Before

After

Before

After (almost all covered up! ”Painter’s Tape Blue” paint!)

Before

After

I enjoyed reading people’s ideas and comments, then asking myself, ”How can I translate this or that into my DIY reality budget?” 😊