Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_544113008

Open space condo before and after

ChrisA
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

About to start renovations on a condo. No interior design experience but some graphic design and art experience. I've spent a lot of time on things and wanting to avoid mistakes and explore ideas outside of what I would think of.

Here's how I'm laying out the areas.

Bathroom

Kitchen

Comments (23)

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

Wow, looks fantastic!

ChrisA thanked jackowskib
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    2 years ago

You have a great vision!

ChrisA thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • M Riz
    2 years ago

Really nice job, clean and contemporary. Enjoy!

ChrisA thanked M Riz
  • ChrisA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm going very neutral/greige/grey since I have a lot of colorful art, including a lot of colorful kitchen counter art... #SketOne... I'm also terrible at color combinations... Very happy to hear any color ideas for the kitchen! It took a lot of experimenting to get the green for the bathroom.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    2 years ago

Wow, this looks great! We bet the finished product will be stunning.

ChrisA thanked FrameMyMirror
  • aziline
    2 years ago

I also like your kitchen. Are you redoing the floors? Do you need to add an electrical outlet if you add an island? You could keep your kitchen and then use a kitchen utility table with a butcher block or stainless steel top. That would break up the blue and no electrical work would be needed.

I get that you want your art to be the star but the sterile art gallery look isn't homey.

ChrisA thanked aziline
  • ChrisA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am redoing the floors in glue down cork in a custom color. The floor has a reddish hue but also chocolate and charcoal. It's a very rich color floor.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

I would consider sage green, especially given the planned cork color. Sage green can be considered a neutral.

ChrisA thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • ChrisA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I finally got access to the unit and will probably need to do a complete kitchen remodel. The cabinets are too short and not deep enough and the doors have a horrible finish that looks like they have fingerprints all over them. Dropping the island and will try and center the stove and move the sink to the right side. Will consider changing the cabinet and other colors in the kitchen. Open to any suggestions on a full kitchen remodel.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

Are you a cook? A baker? If you want kitchen help, you may want to post a new request in the kitchen forum. Layout comes first before all the pretty things.

Read this:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2699918/looking-for-layout-help-memorize-this-first

And especially, THIS: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5972404/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-2020-interim

ChrisA thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • loobab
    2 years ago

Hi Chris-

Gorgeous!

Some suggestions.

If you are re-doing the bathroom, why not think about a skirted toilet? They look so much nicer.

Also, that bathtub looks so low. WIll it be tall enough to cover you? You might want to climb in and make sure it is deep enough for you.

I don't think your colors are blah at all, it looks great. You can make a more monochromatic look be wonderful with interesting shapes and varied textures.

I am not sure about an amber pendant light in the kitchen. You might find something more interesting, If you are getting a beautiful wood back counter stool , you don't want an amber light to compete with that.

I don't see a ceiling light fixture in the living room, or any lamps either. Don't forget your lights in there.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

ChrisA thanked loobab
  • ChrisA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'd like to think I'm going for a darker spa vibe with the bathroom. There is no bathtub and its just a walk in shower with a barrier and sliding door. I designed the shower myself and it will be in bardiglio and nero marble. Sadly the whole bathroom is about 6 inches shorter than the floor plans... My vanity is shrinking from 48" to 42".

I'm removing the island/pendants and stools. I've decided I like the open space in the kitchen and don't really need the island.

As far as lighting, there is recessed lights that I plan to upgrade to new LED lights. I'm trying to ping some local lighting consultants to help me make sure I have good lighting.

I am planning right now on this smart toilet if I can get it in time.

• ChrisA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

One side note, the shower has a built in skylight, so the bathroom has some indirect sunlight during the day.

• ChrisA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here's another view from the office. I'm trying to make things look as nice as possible but also choosing things like the Lujo bean bag since its super comfy... Very confused how to integrate something like a bean bag into a living area, but comfort and livability are as important as visual appeal...

• loobab
    2 years ago

Looks good!

ChrisA thanked loobab
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

You are doing just the right thing - visually exploring design options before you start installing new finishes and purchasing new furniture and accessories.

ChrisA thanked Norwood Architects
  • ChrisA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I posted to the kitchen forum and got lots of good feedback which led me to rework my kitchen design. I can't move the plumbing but I think its much warmer and I still get my dark gray/black counter combo. Still sorting out the kitchen lighting but thinking recessed linear LED.

• ChrisA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Had a great conversation with a lighting expert and should end up with some really nice lighting all through the unit.

• everdebz
    last year

Anything to tell about how it's going?

• ChrisA
    Original Author
    last year

The bathroom is almost done but the shower floor has to be redone since they didn't slope it properly. The design completely changed. I got to work with an interior designer in picking out tile and fixtures. Here are some pics of the current bathroom situation. Main floor will be installed next week and kitchen is coming in February. Kitchen will be installed while I'm living in the unit, but I've done a lot of prep work and have no upper cabinets at the moment so I could get the blocking in now.

• everdebz
    last year

Sleek. I like the warm with greys... it's in a 'frame' box too.

ChrisA thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    Nicetown Curtains
    last year

Looking so chic! Great remodeling!

ChrisA thanked Nicetown Curtains