Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sholt576

My kitchen before and after

sholt576
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have waited so long to do this project! it has finally happened! This is the main event photo, but the project was so much more- repaired siding, fixed gutters, replaced windows and doors, new flooring on entire main floor, insulation in the attic, oh, and a brew room.

Leathered Black Forest granite

Waypoint cabinets

Natural white oak floors

White 3x12 subway tiles with frost grout

Whirlpool fridges placed side by side, with a cut out behind so they appear counter depth

GE profile induction range

Ikea pulls, cheap knobs from lowes

Big Elkay sink with offset drain

Moen faucet

Comments (56)

• enajasereht
    2 years ago

Well done! That's some frig!

• PRO
    Adorno Interior Design
    2 years ago

Beautiful

• M Riz
    2 years ago

Wow, enjoy your new kitchen!

• rebunky
    2 years ago

Awesome what you did with the two refridgerators! Looks amazing and probably saved you several thousand dollars. Probably more then several!

The black forest leathered counters are gorgeous! What a good substitute if want a soapstone look. Enjoy!

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Very beautiful! Nice transformation. I like your choices too.

• suemailman
    2 years ago

Wow! Love the fridge

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Just getting rid of the bulk head would have been WOW. kaching kaching is all I can say! DH brews too...no way would I allow that smell INSIDE hahaha.

• Amy10N
    2 years ago

You must be so happy, it looks fantastic, enjoy it.

• User
    2 years ago

So pretty. In love with your counters

• daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

Like others, I really like the two fridges and you are lucky to have the space for them. Also like how you finished the back of the cabs under the peninsula. And the glass cab doors are nice in that they make that area recede and give the illusion of space opening up rather than closing in. You must be so pleased. Thanks for sharing.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

Wow, what a difference - looks terrific! I love that granite!!!

• Amy Lynn
    2 years ago

Wow! How beautiful! I really love your countertops and would gladly rip mine out to replace with those, lol.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Congratulations on living through a huge renovation! The kitchen looks fantastic! You must hug yourself every morning when you come in to make your coffee. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. It’s wonderful!

• Mrs Fay
    2 years ago

what was your total cost for this project im looking for something similar

• sholt576
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all!

@Mrs Fay It was probably in the $70-$80K range. Once I approved the initial contract, I chose to live in ignorance about the things that put us over budget, and let my husband write the checks. It is easier for me to enjoy it that way :) The initial contract was $60-$70K.

@rebunky, the fridges were $1500 each, plus probably $1000 to bump out the garage wall. That seemed like a bargain... so we used the savings to buy a new range (we had initially planned to keep our old range which we had just purchased second hand during covid2020, with the intentions of using it in the new kitchen.)

@chachawoman, I added details to the post. Counters are leathered black forest, which some places seemed to call silver waves. I always thought I wanted soapstone, but I loved this even more. I can't stop rubbing my hands over it.

@arcy_gw, yep, he ripped out the whole kitchen ceiling and installed new drywall and also took out a wall between kitchen and living room. That was over Thanksgiving. Many old kitchen parts were used in the basement brew room. My husband has seemed far more excited about that than about the new kitchen. He brewed last weekend and I didn't even know he was brewing!

• Mrs Fay
    2 years ago

Thank you for your detailed response

• mariagrazia
    2 years ago

Looks fabulous - congratulations and enjoy!

• Barrheadlass
    2 years ago

Your new kitchen is gorgeous. i do have a silly question though…how do you decide to put what in each fridge, and how do you keep track? I have a small fridge and am so envious!

• Pam
    2 years ago

Can we see a pic looking at the sink wall please? Specifically, I think I see in the 1st pic that your sink is right next to the stove cabinet run. If I ever redo my kitchen I would like to put my sink so one edge is against the perpendicular run of cabinets but I’ve wondered if it would look to squished there and more important whether it would be awkward to use. Do you find it fine to use standing against the side cabinets or not? Thanks for sharing your lovely reno

• antmaril
    2 years ago

Beautful! i love it!

• sholt576
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Barrheadlass, we've had a drink fridge in the laundry room for years. It pretty much stays filled with drinks. The drink fridge also functions for overflow for parties and large items.

• sholt576
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Pam we added 3” to the sink cab vs the original. We already notice the benefit in that little bit if extra space when two people are working. We also have dishes in the peninsula now, so unloading the dishwasher if more efficient is someone else is working.

• cwcf185
    2 years ago

Looks beautiful!

• cyc2001
    2 years ago

What a beautiful transformation! the countertops are gorgeous!!

• PRO
    PRM Custom Builders
    2 years ago

Looks great and love the under-cabinet lighting.

• eaw 513
    2 years ago

Congrats!!! Your kitchen looks great. We were finally able to get a 2 yr delayed kitchen/laundry/powder room remodel started late 2021 and are, fingers crossed, getting tile laid in 3 more days. You must be ecstatic that you are done. I thought I could die happy when my kitchen counters arrived early, haven’t had any for 1 year (folding tables), not sure how I’ll make it to the finish line 😁. Congrats again, great job!

• Matthew
    2 years ago

Great looking kitchen. I like that fridge idea. We have been tossing around the idea of taking a little space from our 3 car garage to add to mudroom/kitchen.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

Nice improvement!

• PRO
    McGuire + Co. Kitchen & Bath
    2 years ago

Looks beautiful! I love the leathered granite countertops!

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Beautiful!!

• Christine Wagner
    2 years ago

Gorgeous!! What a difference!

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

I'm smitten with those large drawers!

• loobab
    2 years ago

Congratulations! It looks lovely!

Do you have a toaster?

Where do you keep it?

What about other appliances such as a blender, electric stand mixer, etc- where do you keep them?

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

This is beautiful!! But did you think of bumping it out a bit to make the kitchen area bigger?? We have the exact same floor plan if you will. Do you have counter seating with stools as well??

• sholt576
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@loobab our second fridge used to be here, in some dead space in the laundry room. We moved the fridge to the kitchen, and moved the toaster and mixer out. The bread and peanut butter are in the drawer, and other small appliances are in the tall cabinet. I imagined one would move the mixer to the kitchen if they wanted to use it, but my kids just use it where it is. ( @User- I have no idea why it looks green. The paint is the same, the lights are the same, it doesn't look green when you're in the room... maybe yard reflections.)

@Kathy Furt we took out the partial wall between the the kitchen and living room, so we would have more space for the table. Now there is room to sit at the counter (still need to find the right chairs) and plenty of room for chairs at the table. Or we can extend the table and seat lots of guests comfortably- which was not possible at all before.

• Jason Hamilton
    2 years ago

Amazing kitchen transformation! That fridge idea is a real game changer, from using 2, to having the wall notched to make them appear counter depth. Must almost look magical when you open them and see how deep they are. Enjoy it!

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

It looks amazing! Great job!

• nicolediane
    last year

wow, that ceiling looks so good.

• momdotcom41
    last year

Wow! It’s Really lovely!!! We are doing a whole house renovation and it’s very gratifying once a room is complete and you can enjoy the update! Congratulations!

• acm
    last year

guys, you're resurrecting a thread from January...

• User
    last year

Great to see a before and after, thank you.

• Kay p
    last year

Love your kitchen You did a fantastic job. Especially the fridges..

• PRO
    Rangehoodmaster
    last year
    last modified: last year

Wonderful, beautiful upgrade, great job done! custom range hood

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    last year

Beautiful upgrade!

• Melvin L. Montgomery
    last year

Beautiful!

• User
    last year

Stylish!

• Logan C. Gilchrist
    last year

Love your kitchen now

• Allen L. Andrade
    last year

Looks very good now!

• PRO
    Nicetown Curtains
    last year

Quite the transformation. Looks amazing!

• PRO
    Bergen Furniture & Design
    last year

Wow! You changed the entire look. All the effort and time you invested have finally paid off. To be frank, first look at the earlier kitchen felt like I am looking at some office setup. And the redesigned is what appears like a real kitchen. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert