Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elitex

Small bathroom before and after - 1963 to 2021!

elitex
2 years ago

I would imagine the vanity was updated once in the 80s, but the bathroom was all original (1963).

Gutted including soffit and started from scratch! Toto Nexus w/washlet, niche and under cabinet LEDs, Delta & Grohe fixtures etc. Me and my wife designed and picked it out all and played GC.

Only thing I am waiting on is a tub door and some shelves in the niche above the toilet which will be glass with small wood accents.

Need to decide on towel bars, toilet paper holder, and some other small details.

Wanted to share my excitement!

hallway · More Info

hallway · More Info

hallway · More Info

hallway · More Info

hallway · More Info

hallway · More Info

Comments (38)

• Suki Mom
    2 years ago

Wow - what a fun renovation!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

That blue tile is beautiful! I see why you’re so excited.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

Quite a transformation.

• J Inhof
    2 years ago

Very jazzy transformation! Luv it!

• elitex
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone. Need a photo or 2. Figuring out the niche shelf situation, likely glass capped with wood to add a little warmth. need some hooks, TP roll, etc. 2 weeks for custom glass shower slider on order and it'll be complete.

• Amy Lynn
    2 years ago

I love the beautiful blue tile! How fresh and modern it looks! If you want to add wood for warmth, why not just have wood shelves in the niche instead of wood trimmed glass? Might be a cleaner, less fussy look. Just an idea. I'm sure whatever you do will be beautiful.

• elitex
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@amy. That's not out of the question, I just wanted the niche led lighting to shine down and look somewhat even top to bottom. If we add wood shelves it'll stop at the top shelf. Maybe cutting a slit in the back will solve it, I may test with a small piece and see if it'll accomplish the look and still let through the light.

• Ruth House
    2 years ago

Looks great! What brand of tub did you use?

• elitex
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wanted the cleanest lines possible without waiting 6mon. I used a brand called Oceania. https://www.oceania-attitude.com/baths. Little more expensive than an off the shelf but really nice quality and absolutely flat with no designs on the front.

• Sam Goasen
    2 years ago

What brand of tub did you use?

• elitex
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sam I used a brand called Oceania.

• Ruth House
    2 years ago

Thanks for the tub info, will check it out!

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    2 years ago

I love the bevel in the current mirror rather than the flat, standard mirror that was in the before! It's such a small detail that makes a huge impact.

The blue in the tile is such a fun color as well and the pattern is lovely! Great job

• nicole___
    2 years ago

Oh yeah! GORGEOUS!

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago

I love your tile, too too! It looks like you have gone square chrome with square backing plates for most things in the bath, so I might stick with that. Here is a set from Nameeks with that vibe:

5 Piece Chrome Accessory Set · More Info

Or this square set without the backing plates:

Celeste Platinum 4-Pc Set Wall-Mounted Bathroom Accessories Polished Chrome · More Info

Or this set:

Italia Capri Bathroom Accessory Set, 4-Piece Set · More Info

• Sarah
    2 years ago

So nice! Would you have room for a plant?

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    2 years ago

looks great!

• PRO
    McGuire + Co. Kitchen & Bath
    2 years ago

Looks great! I love the blue tile!

• AJCN
    2 years ago

Have you installed your glass shelves yet? We solved the light issue in our kitchen by using wood frame with glass insert instead of all wood or all glass.

• elitex
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I actually had glass cut, and I was going to cap it with wood. Thinking along the same lines!

• elitex
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thanks Nancy. Thanks Sarah. I do have room for a plant, maybe do something in the corner. Maybe a photo of Santorini too :)

• PRO
    CAGE Design Build
    2 years ago

Great tile selection and love the back lighting underneath cabinet. Wonderful job!

• Susan Murin
    2 years ago

Ann Oles, why are you putting the exact same comment on multiple posts? Seems like marketing for the planning apps you mention?

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    2 years ago

I used this tile before, LOVE IT, great job!

• kl23
    last year

That's really beautiful! So I have to ask though. It seems this bath does not have the pebble tile like your other bath. Are you regretting the pebble tile in the other bath? Or is it just a change of pace for you? I ask because I am about to have flat pebble tile installed. And so many people are posting bad comments about pebble tile. But you said you liked yours after it was done.

• elitex
    Original Author
    last year

KL thank you.  This was before the door was made/installed and a few finishing touches but I'm really happy and get tons of compliments.  To answer your question about regret from the other bathroom I just wanted something totally different.   It's in a different area and I purposely didn't use similar tile to change it up.  I love my pebble tile in my master shower today as much today as I did years ago.  I still wake up every morning and enjoy the showering, the pebble is great!

• kl23
    last year

Elitex, I can't thank you enough for saying you still love the pebble tile. All over Houzz there are critical comments. Geez! Was your sealed? And how often do you reseal? I got a comment today they won't be sealed because they are natural stone. Confused, since I was asked to choose a sealer.

• elitex
    Original Author
    last year

Don't believe I sealed it when it was new, and haven't touched it since.....it's been there for years now, no issue.  I guess sealer can't hurt, but I wouldn't sweat that based on my experience.

• kl23
    last year

Interesting. Thanks! I'm really grateful for your input, because you have real-life experience. So many posts say bad things about pebble tile, I was getting nervous. Most are from people who never had pebble tile. Even my daughter dissed my choice saying, "whose going to clean it?". She tried to get me to buy a large-format tile like everyone else. I can see you also are not on that bandwagon with this beautiful mosaic. People dis mosaic too, but I think it's gorgeous. I wonder if they are just trying to justify being cheap. Anyway, yesterday, our contractor admitted to trashing the cheap vinyl tile hallway outside the bathroom being renovated and suggested I extend the pebble tile out there too. The hallway goes from the garage to the family room and gets heavy use. I accepted the proposal. But I wonder if it can take the heavy traffic. I suppose I could lay a small grass matt over it. What do you think?

• RedRyder
    last year

Love that striking blue tile! And the shower doors are perfect.

• Nancy in Mich
    last year

KL, be cautious about adding tile in the hall. Tile requires a substrate that does not flex. If a wooden subfloor flexes, the grout breaks. if it flexes enough, the tile breaks.

• kl23
    last year

Thanks! That's great advice! The entire first floor is on concrete slab. I don't even have a basement to run to in a tornado. No flexing though. Makes me wonder about tile in the upstairs bathrooms though. Wouldn't it be nice if wood weren't such a bad choice in the bathroom? Lately I've been thinking about cork upstairs, all through: bedrooms, bathrooms, hallway. A chocolate brown parquet. I have time, but not much, as the phase before is half finished.

• Nancy in Mich
    last year
    last modified: last year

I did dark cork plank when we remodeled our house’s living room, off the foyer. We use it as my husband’s office, music room,and library. Boy, did we appreciate those added french doors during Covid! That room and the foyer are on a slab and it does seem to soften it. I also later did cork plank, in an off-white, in our bedrooms. I like that we don’t see the dust on the bedroom flooring. It never feels really cold to the touch, either.

Tile in upstairs bathrooms can be laid on a cement board substrate. Ours was, above the basement. With the huge increase in tornado activity, especially in the South, where basements are not always possible, we are going to have to come up with new housing designs. Using earth-sheltered design (building your house into the side of a hill, with one side open to the sun) and using more curved shapes with concrete, haybale, adobe, or other non-stickbuilt construction techniques would vastly cut down on home losses. They would help with retaining the cool of overnight temperatures during those burning hot days, too.

• mountaintidings
    6 months ago

It’s been a while… how are you liking the Toto?

• elitex
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Changes my life lol. Who knew. Wish I had power at each location, I'd get more.

• Karenseb
    6 months ago

Which Toto toilet did you use? Any others that you also liked?

• kl23
    6 months ago

Update on the pebble tile out into the hallway. I wish I had them extend the radiant heating out there too. The pebble tile heated is wonderful. Cool in hot summer months when I turn it off and warm the rest of the time. Cleaning it with a Braava connected to the outlet I had installed under the vanity is a breeze. I use just water and it cleans every day. I wouldn't mind pebble or mosaic tile in every shower floor, let alone the entire bathroom floor. And I absolutely fell in love with this shower wall in mosaic. So many possibilities! Still love your blue tile @elitex !

the tiles look like meteor showers · More Info

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022