Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
n_davis96

Exterior Suggestions for This Cozy Home?

sweetpeach90
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This was supposed to be a starter (budget friendly) home that we bought 17 yrs ago, but we ended up staying in it since my husband and daughter liked the location and the inside of the home. I think this cozy little home needs a little curb appeal. My question: What are some suggestions for additions or changes for the front exterior to make it look less like a budget home especially entry way (too boxy/squared), window headers, any architectural suggestions, etc.? I also thought about an arch in front entrance but have no idea how that would look without a visualizer. FYI-The garage is detached. Thanks in advance!

Comments (18)

• Valinta
    3 years ago

Agree with varied landscaping at the front.
    A wide, curvy sidewalk, stone or pressed design concrete, starting abou1/3 of the distance away from garage door , then incorporate more plantings in the additional space between house and sidewalk.
    Instead of shutters, box out the windows with 3” trim board to add definition, as we did withour house.

• Valinta
    3 years ago

Here is the photo with boxed out window trim, instead of shutters.

• sweetpeach90
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks!

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Landscaping will take care of the front yard. Remove the grass in several areas and plant three trees with anticipated future height of 20’ or so, allowing plenty of width space for the trees to grow without overhanging the roof. Plant bulbs or other smaller shrubs under the trees (@3’ from the tree trunks). I would exchange the light fixture for something larger in a lantern style, and add a few small plants at its base.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

I would go with white body

• kodiac23
    3 years ago

cutehouse. if vinyl siding, I would change the shuttersfront door to another color. Red is very dated with the yellow. Black would look great. Dark gray would also work and both would work with roof. I would landscape you bred varied height and curves including the beds. Not sure where the white fence is and what it blocks between the house and the garage but it needs to be softened with shrubbery, or tree (mutlitrunk small tree depending on climate. Curved walkway Too. A good landscaper could probably reuse the bushes if they are in good shape. Can you take more pictures on the entrance way, the walkway, the fence area etc. ?

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Medium gray shutters and a lighter gray garage door would look updated with your current yellow siding and gray roof. Then your front door could be the 'statement' color, either keeping the red or changing to navy blue. Over the entry, add large house numbers instead of the plaque. Change the stair railings to allow for full width steps, paint them the same gray as the garage door.

Landscaping to add variety, disguise the white privacy panel, etc as mentioned above would help a lot also.

It's not bad at all now, but those few tweaks would help it look fabulous.

• PRO
    Altair
    3 years ago

Paint.. typically I love bold colored doors, but with this scheme.. I feel like I'm walking into Target. I highly agree with the image above, white and black would look spectacular!

• Darleta Darnell
    3 years ago

If changing the siding is out, I'd go with Gray shutters that match your roof and get rid of the shrubs in front - ALL of them!

The addition of some interesting landscaping would go a long way toward making this a beautiful home. I'd recommend adding flowers to the area around your "street" light.

Next to the house, after removing all the shrubs, add a small tree, maybe a Japanese Maple or something with great color and several plants of varying colors and textures.

A meandering pathway with flowers on both sides that leads to a gazebo or pergola (and maybe a fountain), somewhere to sit and enjoy the beauty of your new from yard!

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

PLEASE not white..how cookie cutter cheap would that look!? I find it sad you think your home looks " like a budget home". Your home is very sweet. What's with the fencing between the home and garage..looks like it obstructs the walk. I am sure it's about privacy but it is off putting. You need to focus on your yard. How do you not have a tree? The grass needs attending to. You have a huge frontage you could do a lot with.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

It is a cozy looking home. First suggestion is to switch out the existing shutter with real operable ones that actually fit the windows. Don't forget to install shutter dogs which are pretty much necessary for operable shutters but also provide a nice touch. Landscaping will do a lot to enhance your home. The shrubs you have in place now are too uniform and don't provide much visual interest or color. Would suggest extending the landscaping out into the yard to keep it from being a vast expanse of thin grass. Resodding would also be in order. Good luck and it is a very nice home.

• slupher
    3 years ago

If your windows need to be replaced, do that but order them without the muntins. Dark grey for your shutters and house trim, and for the garage door too. Remove the sunset plastics in the garage windows and either leave clear or add a window film, frosted or dark color. Replace the front door with something more transitional/modern. Remove the round bushes, it’s their time to go. Add variety and texture there. Plant tall grasses in front of the white fence. Enlarge your planting bed in front our your walkway as well. Replace the light post with a modern fixture and bring the planting bed down in front of it and surround with variety of plantings. Good luck!

• Kathleen Harrington
    last year

Porch. Porch. Porch.

• jck910
    last year

@sweetpeach90 Did you make any changes?

• kl23
    last year

Since this is an old thread and the owner may have already done whatever they decided to do, I'll address this mostly to others in this situation. I am appreciating more and more my front porch. It's great for meeting neighbors who walk by. The front of this house, and many like it, is flat and is screaming for a large covered porch. As another poster mentioned, it wants landscaping to provide needed protection from the elements. It's hard to tell if the lawn looks huge because of the photo or if it really is huge, but it appears to be completely unused space.

• hbeing
    last year

that does not look like a "budget house".

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

sweetpeach90 we would love to hear how it turned out! Did you make any changes?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations