Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandchicken1984

Subzero 36" PRO vs Classic Over/Under

Dave H
3 years ago

Hi everyone! I haven't been able to find much feedback on the relatively new Subzero 36 inch Pro model and wondering if anyone here has any experience with it. My remodel calls for a 36 inch refrigerator/freezer so either the pro or classic would fit the bill but wondering if the pro is worth the extra approximately $2,000. The separate crisper drawer seems nice but the freezer seems tiny, although the classic freezer isn't so big itself. planning on a basic basement chest freezer either way.

Comments (16)

• boschboy
    3 years ago

I have had the Pro 36 for about 2 months now and love it. The freezer is small but I do have a second freezer in my basement I use too so I have more than enough space. For me the stainless interior and glass door were the selling points. There are no door shelves but the bottom slide out shelf holds all my condiments and small jars. I really like the look. If you have any specific questions let me know.

• Dave H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

looks amazing boschboy!

I do have a question regarding capacity if you don't mind. I do a lot of baking using half sheet pans and an wondering if two would fit side by side on a refrigerator shelf, and how many if any would fit in the freezer?

Also how does the crisper compartment perform? Are you finding vegetables are lasting any longer than in your previous refrigerator?

• boschboy
    3 years ago

I bake a lot too and I was pleasantly surprised I could fit two half sheet pans side by side. I took a picture below so you could see.

My old fridge was a KA and yes the produce stays fresher longer in the SZ. I think I it has to do with there being negligible fluctuations in temperature, combined with the high humidity drawer and the air scrubber.

• Dave H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Great! And it looks like room to spare in the refrigerator. Do those pans fit in the freezer as well?

• boschboy
    3 years ago

With the ice bin in place I can fit one pan front to back. BTW the OXO ice scoop works great in the ice bin.

• Architectural Notice
    3 years ago

That is an absolutely beautiful refrigerator but the price tag is pretty hefty - MSRP $13,965 per their website.

Here are the feature (also per their website):

• Scrubs the air of ethylene, mold, viruses, and bacteria every twenty minutes using NASA-based advanced air purification technology
    • Install directly within surrounding cabinetry for built-in, or add accessory panels for freestanding
    • Makes an iconic stainless-steel statement, inside and out
    • Dual refrigeration technology preserves refrigerated foods with cool, moist air and frozen foods with frigid, dry air
    • Creates the ideal environment for produce in independently-controlled crisper drawer
    • Easy access to food with full-extension slide-out glass shelf with adjustable gates
    • Locks in temperature and humidity with soft-close door hinge and magnetic seal on doors and drawers
    • Controls temperature within one degree of setpoint via intuitive exterior touch control panel
    • Automatic ice maker with advanced water filtration system
    • Control brightness with soft-on LED lighting that fully illuminates the cavity, making food more visible and less likely to hide
    • Protects food from spoilage through triple-pane, UV-resistant glass door
  • Sammy
    3 years ago

@Dave H: If you really want the Pro, don’t let $2K stop you. It is a completely different model, so the upcharge isn’t for something trivial like color or door handle style. For example, when I was buying my SZ, circa 2000, the only decision I had to make after settling on the size (36”, 42” or 48”) and configuration (o/u, s x s, etc.) was which trim package did I want: the “basic” framed door model with the full-length handles (I think they’re aluminum) and standard louvered aluminum(?) grille (a.k.a., the classic SZ look) or did I want to match my cabinetry and go with the panel-ready version? Or, for an extra couple hundred (or whatever it was), did I want to project an air of modernity and chef-i-ness by going for the crème de la crème: the all-new, all-stainless (but just on the front), PRO model with the tubular stainless handles and the sleeker but still louvered (fewer louvers) stainless grille? In the end I chose the the framed model because I just liked the way it looked—that classic, old-school SZ look. But if I had preferred the look of the Pro-model, I’d have spent the bucks to get it. I mean, once you’re there, you’re there, so you might as well buy the damn t-shirt.

@boschboy: Where’d you get those sheet pans from? Do you love ’em? Are they nice and heavy like steel ones? I assume they’re aluminum.

• boschboy
    3 years ago

@Sammy they are Vollrath half sheet pans. These were recommended by America’s Test Kitchen. I have had them for a few years now. The best part is they do not warp in a hot oven. Occasionally if I am broiling and remove the pan it will warp slightly but I no longer have to worry about food flying off.

https://www.amazon.com/Vollrath-5314-Wear-Ever-Half-Size-Open-Bead/dp/B0001MS3P6

• sharon
    2 years ago

@boschboy I know this thread is kind of old, but I hope you are still there. I'm thinking of putting the 36inch pro in my new kitchen but am so very nervous about losing the door storage! Old habits die hard!! Any comments / suggestions you can offer to alleviate this concern? And how do you find the produce drawer working out for you?? Do you feel there's enough refrigerator storage??

• boschboy
    2 years ago

@sharon yes, I am still here and love my Pro 36 a year and a half later. I was also worried about losing the door storage but the pull out shelf really makes up for the missing door shelves. Here are some shots of it. We have also had no issues with storage in the fridge. A half sheet pan fits in length wise. Even my MIL was surprised by that! Produce drawer is also another added feature. I love the glass slider on top as it really holds in the humidity. In case you can’t tell, this fridge makes me happy.

• sharon
    2 years ago

Thank you so much @boschboy!! These photos and your comments are super helpful!!

• sharon
    2 years ago

Wow!! Thank you, @Dave H!! You're refrigerator and @boschboy's refrigerator are so organized!! I imagine that's a result of the refrigerator design itself. I hope so!! Grateful for your comment!

• Raychel barfiels
    last year

Just do it! I had a Viking 36 inch French door with bottom freezer and the SZ PRO fits more. The lack or door storage is made up by the space in the fridge. It’s really that simple and your fridge will stay organized. Money we’ll spent in my opinion.

• Maryann berkowitz
    12 days ago

Can you guys tell me more about the produce drawer? Are you really able to leave salad and veggies out of their bags or containers and they stay crisp??

• Maryann berkowitz
    12 days ago

That seems amazing