Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kris_bruesehoff

Shoji white vs pearly white

Kris Bruesehoff
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Any color experts want to weigh in with a comparison?

Most of the natural light is from a west facing wall of windows.

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Comments (53)

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! I appreciate the reply. More than anything I love that you had to see so many samples too... hubby thought I was nuts as he’s color blind and they all looked white to him.

Shoji did seem a bit to pink/beige so I went with Pearly white at 115%. I like it I don’t see grey, but in some light the soft yellow comes through. Now just need to figure out something for on top of the fireplace.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

Here is color wheel with Shoji White

Kris Bruesehoff thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

and Pearly White

They are almost the same, different hues, Pearly White is crispier cos a little bit less of Chroma.

Kris Bruesehoff thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Handful
    4 years ago

Awesome Kris! I’m glad to hear you went with the Pearly White because that’s what I had decided on too. Looks great! I’m anxious to see it in my space now as well. Fingers crossed.

Kris Bruesehoff thanked Handful
  • Handful
    4 years ago

By the way, what color trim do you have? Mine is pure white; am hoping for some contrast still.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm not sure what color our trim is - its pretty close to the walls we didn't paint and former owners didn't leave the paint colors. It works (I think) because the walls are matte and the trim is glossy. . I think a true white would be really nice with it!

Id love to see a picture of yours when done!

• Handful
    3 years ago

Hi Kris! Here's the Pearly White with Pure White Trim. :-)

• Handful
    3 years ago

• H G
    3 years ago

I went with Pearly white on walls with Pure white trim too. I love it.

• verano20
    3 years ago

I know that this is an old post but looking at the color wheel of Pearly White - does it mean it is a great complementary color to blues? I want to use it with BM Charlotte Slate. Thanks!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

It should look very pretty with Charlotte Slate. Get large chips or sample and make sure you like how it looks in your space.

• bondia
    3 years ago

Handful, thank you for the photos. I am considering Pearly White, and will have Pure White as trim, and am concerned about having enough contrast. Yours looks good in the photos. Are you happy with your choice at this point? Same question for anyone else who has used Pearly White with white trim.

• verano20
    3 years ago

I have Pearly White & Pure White. There is definitely enough contrast!

• bondia
    3 years ago

Great, thank you, verano20. And you think the tones look good together?

• Handful
    3 years ago

Hi Bondia! Yes, I had the same concern regarding contrast, but trust me - it’s there! I love the pearly white!

• Handful
    3 years ago

See the contrast here between the pure white trim and pearly white walls.

• bondia
    3 years ago

Nice! Thank you for posting that. There’s nothing like being able to see it. Darling models you hired to be in your photo😁

• Handful
    3 years ago

Absolutely & Lol thank you! ;-) I hope these help!

• D K
    3 years ago

It definitely helps me and I’m sure it will help other people in the future, people find these threads years later.

• Geena O
    3 years ago

Such an awesome thread. I am deliberating a color for the basement and tumbled upon pearly white. Thank you so much for the pics here. Color seems great even in low light areas, I might just go with it!

• verano20
    3 years ago

I have Pearly White in my basement! It’s difficult to take good pics but it looks great.

• H G
    3 years ago

I also have pearly white with pure white

• Xanderz 101
    3 years ago

I have a Pearly White question. I just painted a room Shoji white, and it is reading green about 50% of the day. I love it when it's not green! (this is a north facing dining room.) So, I'm thinking of repainting with Pearly White based on the photos I see here. Do any of you with Pearly White see green?

• bondia
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Xanderz 101 - This may not be much help to you, however - my friend has recently painted her main floor in a color that is, though not Sherwin Williams Pearly White, all but a perfect match for it. I have been in her house multiple times since she painted and have spent a lot of time looking at her walls and have never seen any green in any light. But as I said, since it's not actually Pearly White this may not help you. Plus I am not the most expert person at seeing undertones. Good luck.

• H G
    3 years ago

Pearly White was the ONLY white I found to not have a strong undertone. It is not green at all.

• nnennaa
    3 years ago

Did you use pearly white on walls and ceiling? Or walls only? I’m debating using pure white for my ceilings and pearly for my walls.

• H G
    3 years ago

Pure White Kitchen cabinets, ceiling and baseboards. Pearly White walls.

• verano20
    3 years ago

Ceiling white on ceilings

• Handful
    3 years ago

Xanderz - I don’t like green undertones either and was very cautious not to pick a color that looked green! Pearly does not have green! Also, make sure and pay attention to a colors Light Reflective Value as well (LRV) on the swatch. A high LRV can cause green sometimes as well, depending upon what’s in your room or outside your window! We have huge windows and lots of green outside. I was pretty concerned about any highly reflective colors for that reason. Hope this helps! The Pearly is fabulous though! :-)

• bethechangeyou
    2 years ago

I am so excited to find this threat! We are currently painting the trim pure white and we’re just putting up a gazziliion expensive paint “samples” and we are liking the pearly white. I have a small house and can’t cope with painting every room (north vrs south facing room) a different “white” color when I want an overall light effect. I would love to see more pics from any of you with pure white trim and pearly white walls (or Ceiling). We just vaulted our living room (north facing 😆) and I would like (maybe) to take the color onto the ceiling to avoid highlighting all the strange angles. Please more share pics!! Thank you!!

• Green IowaAcres
    2 years ago

Pearly on the walls again in entry and office here. Pure white trim.

• bethechangeyou
    2 years ago

Thank you! It’s lovely.

• M Sterling
    2 years ago

My cabinets are about to be installed and they are Pearly White. I've been told that all my trim should match the kitchen cabinets. Has anyone used Pearly White for trim throughout the house? Is it too off white/creamy? It's new construction, and the ceilings were also painted pearly white to match the kitchen. I'm fearful my designer is off her rocker!

• H G
    2 years ago

She’s not wrong. Use different finishes of the paint. Ceilings are usually flat paint. Cabinets are usually a semi gloss and walls might be satin. It’ll turn out beautiful. My walls are pearly white. Everything else is pure white I couldn’t do pure white walls because it gave off a blue hue in north facing rooms otherwise I would have done what your designer is suggesting

• Girlmom101
    2 years ago

I know this is an old thread but does anyone hVe any photos of pearly white with reddish flooring? Im worried it may turn out out yellow!

• Stephanie Kendrick
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Im also curious about this paint color. Im wondering if it would match light blue and grey furniture/accents and dark cherry kitchen cabinets with a medium brown floor with a red undertone.

• Lynn H
    2 years ago

Love love pearly white walls!

• Janet Williams
    2 years ago

Would a gray marble shower wall and white tile floor go with SW pearly white. I have to coordinate with adjoining room.

• Elizabeth Kelly
    2 years ago

Any additional picture of Pearly White in a North or West facing?

• Mandy Hall
    2 years ago

I used pearly in my bathroom . i sampled ot in my living room too . It has a a subtle yellow/ green cast in my house , just a heads up if anyone wanting to avoid any green undertones.

• ohwhatabeautifulmorning
    last year

Has anyone used white dove as trim for shoji?

For those of you noticing shoji looks green..did you get it color matched from store other than Sherwin Willams? I have two samples, the one color matched from bm is  a totally different hue and very noticeable green tint. 

Love the sw shoji. 

Thanks

• H D
    last year

Ohwhatabeautiful morning—did you end up with shoji white? I’m looking at that and White Duck right now (for walls, not trim!)

• latifolia
    last year

Just had this place painted Shoji (north light). Ceiling is High Reflective White; trim is Greek Villa.

• H D
    last year

Ooh that looks really nice, thanks!! On my screen looks like a soft griege without noticeable undertones.

• latifolia
    last year

We covered up a SW gray with green undertones, label was no longer legible, but maybe Agreeable Gray. I decided to go lighter. It took two coats of SuperPaint. The only issue was they don't make eggshell. To me it looks lighter than greige, almost cream.

• H D
    last year

Thanks, I am excited to test this out in my space and impatiently waiting for samples, lol.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    last year

i really do like it in our home with west facing windows. Photo above bringgs in more yellow because of the light bulbs.

• Terri Mcdowell
    last year

Painter coming next week. anyone use pearly white with blue accents. im afraid of green undertones in paint.

• Cyndi Johnson
    7 months ago

Did anyone in this thread paint their kitchen cabinets Pearly white? I am considering it because I want a warm white to match my walls but also cool enough to blend with a grey (reads silver in some light) backsplash. Thank you!

• Kris Liesemer
    13 days ago

I would like to use Pearly White on Walls, baseboards, trim, doors & ceiling (appropriate sheens). There is tons of natural light (west facing) and the walls are ceilings are quite high (10 ft, 12 ft). I am a little worried it might look dingy. Does anyone have any pictures they could share?