Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyamy123123

Help me make a good FRONT PORCH impression

amyamy123123
4 years ago

Holidays are over- time to take down the Christmas wreathes. What should I replace them with?

Different wreathes? Standing Topiaries? Bench? Something on the stairs? Welcome mat? Porch measures width 7'9''X depth 3'5"'. Left side stairs are depth of apprx. 2' and right side apprx. 1'.

I want it to be warm and welcoming- but elegant at the same time.

Can someone help?

Thanks

Comments (38)

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Seasonal welcome mat if it's freezing there. If warmer, add a couple pots of daffodils or tulips, too, and change them out as they finish blooming.

• Kay Stu
    4 years ago

There is plenty of interest in that doorway without adding anything. A couple of seasonal flower pots would be plenty. I would power wash the steps to get rid of the algae.

• amyamy123123
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok thanks- Yes we have had a lot of rain

• Kate
    4 years ago

Maybe a knight in a suit of armor:-)

• amyamy123123
    Original Author
    4 years ago

:0

• mkoebrich1425
    4 years ago

Wonderful house! Yes, dispose of the wreaths, the doors are too beautiful to cover up. Add 2 tall potted evergreens for alongside the doors. Add 2 pretty colorful benches and a few seasonal pots with colorful plants. Power wash the steps and you’re done!

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

The front of your house is beautiful. It really doesn’t need a lot of decoration. Maybe a tall vase with seasonal plants, but nothing more. Your door is exquisite so don’t hide it. Great looking house!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

What kind of lighting do you have there?

• amyamy123123
    Original Author
    4 years ago

overhead pedant

• amyamy123123
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any chance any of you know a good place to purchase topiaries/small benches? pics??

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

This stuff is amazing for keeping away algae. The rain actually activates it and it works for about 6 months before you need to reapply. We use it on our lanai and vinyl fence in SW Florida. https://www.amazon.com/Spray-Forget-Outdoor-Cleaner-Concentrate/dp/B07R2MXD12/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?

amyamy123123 thanked katinparadise
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I think benches will clutter it up too much. Stick to topiaries.

https://www.houzz.com/products/query/topiary/nqrwns

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sometimes making a bigger statement is doing nothing at all and this is it. Nice house. If it were my house, I like fountains, so I'd probably put one to the right of the doors by the window. Or maybe theres a better place to put it near the entry. I have a 6 foot fountain that I take down every year. I'm to afraid ice will crack it. Its like the cherry on top, When I take it down for the winter the house seems naked.

• Kathleen K
    4 years ago

Get two large black metal urns or planters to match railings and rotate seasonal color. Pansies and bulbs will smell and look good as winter turns to spring. Cheat with a few silk blooms ? Topiary evergreens will work year round. Then you add seasonal flowers to fill around them. You can find complete container arrangements in garden centers if you aren't sure what will work together. Just remember to water them.

• Kathleen K
    4 years ago

Btw, I think the moss adds character, but scrub it off if it is slippery in the steps.

amyamy123123 thanked Kathleen K
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The moss makes the steps look slippery and unkept.

Lots of decor would detract from this beautiful home. Wreaths are not necessary and you don’t have room for benches. A pot or two, if they’re not intruding on the walking/standing space, would be fine. Choose black or stone. Add a quality large mat in a solid color, no design or words.

amyamy123123 thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • skunst2017
    4 years ago

Two gorgeous flowerpots ..cast iron ...with a manicured mini tree or flowers ... Welcoming mat ..without anything on it . Beautiful entrance ! Does not need much ...!

amyamy123123 thanked skunst2017
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

No room for a bench but some nice black planters might work but the entry is very nice just as it is . I might put the planters at the bottom on the sides of the steps so you a space for more than one visitor to stand

amyamy123123 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Elizabeth's Glass Gallery
    4 years ago

I would suggest a beautiful pair of stained glass leaded panels., which would be both welcoming and elegant.

• PRO
    D Farrar Designs
    4 years ago

A tall black urn with an ever green and cascading ivy on the front porch next to one door and a bench with a couple of colorful cushions on the opposite side. The urn should not cover the door. Add some beautiful colored pots with flowers one for each step. Power wash the steps.

• HU-844040750
    4 years ago

I feel an elegant lighting and a beautiful mat. You don’t need much because your doors speaks for itself.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

It isn't a big porch. It's really more of a stoop. So, not a lot of room for much else. I would suggest a mat for wiping shoes. I would suggest replacing the lantern fixture with something else. Might even suggest a new fixture be installed on the front wall between the top of the entryway arch and the sill of the opening above. Would also suggest replacing the railing with something a bit more substantial and stylish.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

If, in fact, the greenish tinge on the lower steps is algae, you might want to look into applying an algae-deterrent. Algae can be slippery when wet and it could be a hazard.

amyamy123123 thanked felizlady
  • PRO
    Timeless Wrought Iron
    4 years ago

Two tall topiaries flanking each side of the doors with up-lighting behind them to accentuate the pots and add warmth to that area and different colored mats, then repeated on the bottom step with smaller softer plants but matching pots as the topiaries, large mat by the door and clean up the steps and this will be quite inviting! The four plants will soften up all the hardscape you have. In spring and summer add color with other potted plants on the steps and match with a different colorful mats for each season or just a monogrammed one for all seasons.

• Brown Dog
    4 years ago

You have a lovely and welcoming front entrance! There is a lot going on with the busy rock, the curved door, the scrolly railing, etc. So you should stay away from any kind of embellishment or decor that will take away from the architectural beauty and add to the visual clutter. If this were my house, I would add a simple large doormat in the winter months (maybe plain black jute with no pattern or writing), in spring/summer I’d add a big pot on each side of the door with one kind of pink or yellow flowers, and for Christmas I’d replace your existing fake wreaths with real boxwood or other real greenery wreaths with a red bow at the bottom of each wreath. Just simple additions will add that homey look. I agree with everyone else, pressure wash your stone stairs. Also, consider the landscaping at the whole front of your house. You can probably improve the area that leads to your front entrance, the front entrance itself doesn’t need much.

• robincorini
    4 years ago

Absolutely beautiful entrance. As most people said, not much embellishment needed. I too would use a plain wide mat, with two vertically shaped evergreens in classic urns or pots. I think the idea is to introduce something living and soft to the hardscape. ( Though it would likely be easier and acceptable to use good quality fake evergreen as the lack of light might prove difficult for plants to survive.). A bench would crowd the door. I would cut back the vegetation to the right of the door ( as you face the door). That’s where I’d place a black metal bench to match the lovely railing. It should be along the walk not set back. Lastly I’d place somewhat taller evergreen specimen plants in the bed behind the bench along the house.

• robincorini
    4 years ago

Oh and by the way, congrats on a beautiful home! Hope you make many happy memories there!

• amyamy123123
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you very much! I love the bench idea a lot!

• robincorini
    4 years ago

Oh, you’re very welcome! Glad you like🙋‍♀️

• Qyenta
    4 years ago

I would eliminate wreaths entirely and add two urns with boxwood balls for elegance. Keep simple...it’s already a beautiful entrance!

amyamy123123 thanked Qyenta
  • Momof5x
    4 years ago

I added four large, impressive sized plant pots on mine on different levels on the steps.

amyamy123123 thanked Momof5x
  • Laurie Luibl
    4 years ago

Get two large statement planters, buy two pots, one that fits inside the large planter and leaves about a 3” gap around the outside. You’re going to fill that gap with potting/soil mix and plant small trailing ivy around the entire planter. Then use the interior of the pot to hold the second pot(which is smaller and fits inside) then you can change up the plants/flowers depending on the season keeping the ivy permanently! Use the really large Black planters to frame the door and maybe add smaller planters at the bottom of the stairs

amyamy123123 thanked Laurie Luibl
  • jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

White trim would perk up the appearance. The current colour looks dirty.

• brendaprice
    4 years ago

First of all, you have a beautiful entrance and I love the stone work! I would power wash the entrance and steps. place large black urns with evergreen topiaries on each side of the door and add an elegant door mat! Can’t wait to see your transformation photos! Have fun with it!

amyamy123123 thanked brendaprice
  • territheresa
    4 years ago

Ornamental cabbages are beautiful this time of year. the colder it gets the more purple mine become.

Container Gardens- Winter & Holiday Decor · More Info

Seasonal Decor - Fairfield County · More Info

• PRO
    Aardvark Architecture
    10 months ago

What a gorgeous start! If I were you, I would add some small bright vibrant plants, nothing overly full, but rather something tall and slim in profile. I would also hang a light from a bracket hung just above the "keystone" of the arch above your entrance porch. Will brighten things up a bit.

• hbeing
    10 months ago

tall potted plants on either side of the door?