Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qelliott2

builder grade fireplace slate surround

qelliott2
4 years ago

I am looking to update my fireplace surround. it's a builder grade slate surround but before I go hulk on it I need to cover my basis.....1st question do I have to remove the slate or can/should I just tile over it? and 2nd do I have to remove the entire mantel to retile that area? Has anyone ever done this before?

Comments (15)

• User
    4 years ago

Yes, all of that has to be removed. And I wouldn’t, because it’s actually quite nice. You can’t just glom on more stuff on top. But first you need to find the manufacturer’s requirements for clearances to combustibles. Then you need to design the outcome that you want, using those requirements. Demolition only ever occurs after specifications are checked. math happens, , a comprehensive design occurs, and materials selections are ordered. It shouldn’t a really occur until you have the materials sitting in your garage, and not back ordered. .

• einportlandor
    4 years ago

I once did something similar to what you're proposing. The original builder grade (gas) fireplace had a large format tile, and I replaced it with a smaller stone product. Big improvement. My trusty handyman did the job so not terribly expensive. He did not dismantle the surround, just took out the ugly tile and replaced it with the new. I did have to have a carpet guy come in and clean up the carpet edge. BTW, I do like the slate you currently have.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

You should be able to apply tile over your existing surround without first tearing the slate out. It's a strong, solid surface. If you remove it you will have to replace it with another substrate, so why bother. Just make sure your tile installer has done such work before. Good luck!

• Colleen K
    last year

Can you please post a photo of the finished fireplace? How did it turn out?

• Susanne Woolley
    last year

Love it, airy and light!

• PRO
    Hansen Wholesale
    last year

I'm wondering if you checked with the fireplace manufacturer to determine if removing the logs and adding the glass chips was acceptable. In most cases you cannot do that with a direct vent gas fireplace. It can cause overheating issues or create a fire hazard.

I would hate to see others just assume they can do it after seeing your before and after pictures. So any insights you can provide about that would be helpful to the community.

• Colleen K
    last year

Very nice thank you for sharing.

• Darah Bolen
    last year

Did you end up having to remove the slate?

• qelliott2
    Original Author
    last year

@Darah Bolen no i did not remove the slate. It was a good and sturdy surface so i just kept it and tiled over it.

• HU-8316606842260747
    last year

@qelliott2, did you have to remove any part of the mantle or sides?

• HU-325973637
    last year

This turned out beautifully im looking to get rid of the black slate too where did yiu find the tile? did yiu diy or hire out? im debating which route yo go

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    last year

Looks great!

• kgreen7634
    last year

What tile did you use?

• qelliott2
    Original Author
    last year

I used 2 different sizes. 3x6 SAHARA CARRARA BRICK MARBLE tile and a 2x6 SAHARA CARRARA BRICK MARBLE MOSAIC tile from floor and decor. I removed the tile from the mosaic net because I wanted my tile to be spaced closer together. The net had the tile spaced too far apart for what i wanted. @kgreen7634 @HU-325973637 this was a DIY.