Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky2010

We finished our kitchen! Danby and Soapstone...

becky2010
4 years ago
last modified: last year

I don't post very much on Houzz - but I have read a thousand discussions, so I thought I'd post pictures and give a short review after two months of living in our kitchen. 13 years ago, we moved back into the house I grew up in, and this year we finally got around to replacing the kitchen and cabinets that my mom put in 50 years ago. We also ended up turning a tiny laundry room into a home office, and an old greenhouse (which was in a state of disrepair) into a laundry/mudroom. Our kitchen inspiration picture we got from Houzz, and we took it from there. My main sources of panic surrounded picking the countertop material. After much reading (!), we ended up going with Danby marble (sourced from the eastern shore), and soapstone (from Bucks County Soapstone, in PA). In the end, though the renovation took WAY too long, we are thrilled with our new spaces. We love both countertop materials, and enjoy them every day. Yes - the marble etches, but no, it doesn't bother me at all. Yes, we have had to oil the soapstone, but we actually enjoy the process very much. We are a messy family of five, who love to cook and bake, and we are getting a lot of use out of every inch of the new space. We are still a little afraid of our range, but otherwise love everything. Thank you to everyone who wrote reviews of their kitchens! They were so helpful to me while I was going through this process. Edited to add: Three years later and the marble still hasn't stained at all. We haven't re-sealed it yet! We still love it!

Comments (160)

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Love the attention to detail. Your contractor sounds like an excellent professional.

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

Yes, I expect many Houzzers are having fantasies about that contractor....

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Haha

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Saw this while taking a momentary break (from our remodel!) but didn't have time to comment. I had to find this thread to comment :-) Your kitchen is in my top favorites category - and I've enjoyed seeing the rest of your home. It's very warm, very inviting. I love the attention to detail, and yes, I know what you mean about being detail oriented, it can drive others crazy! But honestly, it's just so well worth it, as is obviously the case with your home. Gotta add, I love your drying rack!

• becky2010
    Original Author
    4 years ago

2ManyDiversions - thank you! And good luck on your job! Also - I got the drying rack from amazon!

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

becky2010, I can't believe it!!! Amazon!?! Thank you! I've been looking at drying racks (on Amazon too) and just didn't care for the newish looks, but those are wonderful, and I love that they use a pulley system, and can be pulled up and down (which, of course, would require a pulley system, ha!). Thank you for sharing this!

I love that you've saved all the radiators. Everything you've done shows not only a true sense of style, but respect for a home clearly loved, with loving memories, and more to come.

Thank you for your kind words. DH and I have DIY'd much, on weekends only. At the 1 year mark, and so much left to do. Much of the additional time devoted to those details that must be 'just so'. But, got our leathered granite installed yesterday, so today I dance : )

• becky2010
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I take it back! They have it on Amazon, but it was cheaper at William Sonoma!

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/sheila-maid-clothes-dryer/?pkey=s|sheila maid|1

So exciting to get countertops! Enjoy!!! And my hat is off to you - I have no DIY skills at all! The hardware was an a very unusual occurrence...

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

"The hardware was an a very unusual occurrence..." so I had you pegged all wrong... Just kidding! I actually hadn't 'pegged' you, or in better words, made assumptions : ) We've been avid DIY'ers for decades, and even now, when we could hire a crew for some things, we'd just rather do it ourselves and not worry if it's done right... but some things even we could never do! You were so fortunate to have so many wonderful sources and people on your remodel.

The Williams Sonoma link doesn't work but I did find it... However, I found it for even less ($150) at... uh. Sorry, I sent the link to my cell and I can't find it. But if anyone else is interested I'll look for it : )

• becky2010
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Try this:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sheila-maid-clothes-dryer/

And they have 20 % off and free shipping right now!

• gthigpen
    4 years ago

Ditto to what others have said.....your kitchen is absolutely fantastic. Love your attention to detail and it looks like it's always been there. I've had that sink wall as one of my inspiration pics forever, but never implemented it. I love that you did and it looks as good as the inspiration! Bravo!

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

I looked into putting a Sheila Maid in our laundry room, but it's too small and shaped funny. Maybe next house.

• emilikins
    4 years ago

Great, I have to go mop up all my drool and envy now. I LOVE this kitchen! It's gorgeous, lived in, utterly charming, etc.

• Sinead Nolan
    4 years ago

Beautiful renovation! Enjoy

• AboutToGetDusty
    4 years ago

Soooo beautiful and timeless. Love it!

• Cathy Gardner
    4 years ago

May I ask where you got the open shelves:cabinets for kitchen ;love them and the whole remodel

• becky2010
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks teabagcathy62 - I designed them and our contractor built them!

• Peppapoodle
    4 years ago

I came to kitchens (can't sleep) expecting to be disappointed in the posts & hoping to either see a great kitchen in the works or a reveal. Score on this one!!! Love this so much:)

I followed you on IG & Beckysharp, too

• aprilneverends
    4 years ago

I know my comment is not original, but-how did I miss it??

thank you, thank you thank you for sharing your wonderful kitchen and home..makes one to want to come in and to just stay and absorb and be insanely happy

becky2010 thanked aprilneverends
  • MT Castillo
    4 years ago

Beautiful!

becky2010 thanked MT Castillo
  • Thea Stevens
    4 years ago

WOW! What a fabulous space! Each element plays off the other. The brick and color choice for the cabinets was dead on! Such a warm and i inviting space! Job well done & thank u for taking time to share!

becky2010 thanked Thea Stevens
  • becky2010
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much!

• seileen
    4 years ago

So charming!!

becky2010 thanked seileen
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

It's looks great! Love the mixture of brick, painted cabinetry and wood finish island!

becky2010 thanked Norwood Architects
  • _lmnop
    4 years ago

Beautiful renovation!

becky2010 thanked _lmnop
  • MT Castillo
    4 years ago

Not sure whether I commented before, but I gotta say I LOVE your new kitchen! It looks so inviting! I see family hanging out together, cooking and enjoying each other in your new space. Congratulations!

becky2010 thanked MT Castillo
  • becky2010
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks @MT Castillo! We have been doing exactly that! Also some carry out pizza eating. But also cooking! Definitely enjoying each other's company and the space.

• Erika
    4 years ago

Holy WOW! I love this! I'm still working on more urgent projects, such as structural, electrical and roofing on my house, but someday I plan to redo my kitchen and I know I want soapstone. I love soapstone. It's so durable, and looks great, especially in an older home. You did a wonderful job with your kitchen. I love the mix of materials you used. It all came together so well. You should be proud!

becky2010 thanked Erika
  • Keshet Starr
    3 years ago

This is gorgeous! Do you still love your Danby?

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

Beautiful!

• PRO
    Eco Method Interiors
    3 years ago

Looks so amazing! Very well done!

• becky2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@keshet starr I just saw this! Yes! We still love it. I never got it re-sealed, and there still isn’t one stain on it. The etching freaked me out at the beginning but now I think it’s all etched lol, but I don’t notice it anymore. It’s a dream to work on, and it is just so beautiful to look at.

• Holly Stockley
    2 years ago

This is one of my all time favorite kitchens. Sometimes I visit this thread just to sigh over the pictures some more.

• becky2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

😂 that is very kind!

• emilikins
    2 years ago

@Holly Stockley Your comment triggered an alert for me and I, too, was happy to revisit this kitchen. It's chef's kiss

• Keshet Starr
    2 years ago

Thank you so much @becky2010!! That really puts my mind at ease.

• loobab
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi becky-

What a wonderful kitchen!

I have a few questions for you.

Where did you purchase the storage boxes in your office? The drawer label-pulls?

What do you use to prevent the kitchen floor cloths from slipping that doesn't damage the wood floors?

Thanks!

Oh, yes, and I love that big sink! What is that style called?

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

This renovation is one of my absolute favorites! Everything is warm and inviting. It looks “organic” and definitely fits the house. Love the new laundry room and new office. I’m a fan of green and your strategic use of it worked out well. I’m happy you are enjoying it!

• felizlady
    2 years ago

Your kitchen looks very well-planned and very friendly….a place your guests will be drawn to and you will enjoy working in.

• becky2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @loobab we got the storage boxes at the container store and the labels at House of Antique Hardware. The runner just has a rug pad under it!

• loobab
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thanks! What is your sink style called? Does it hurt your back to lean into it?

• becky2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The sink is this: https://nbidbs.com/product/model-dbr4224/ and no - it’s very comfortable to work at! It has scratched some at this point, but I still love it.

• loobab
    2 years ago

Thank you. It is beautiful, I love the high back and the faucet mounted against the back. I bet you could get some sort of product to fill in the scratch. And after several years, I bet you could get the whole thing refinished, or coated, I don't know the correct term, like they do with bathtubs.

I need a high back large sink in the bathroom. Whenever I wash my face, I make such a mess. At least with the sink I grew up with , it was a big old-fashioned indestructible pedestal sink made out of porcelain I think, and it didn't matter if the whole thing got wet.

• becky2010
    Original Author
    last year

I can’t figure out how to add to my original post, but I am just coming back here to comment that four years later the marble still doesn’t have any stains. And we have never resealed it!

• Sally T
    last year

@becky2010 - thank you! dying over your stunning kitchen! also i just bought Olympian White danby marble YESTERDAY for my renovation to my 1920 house so your timing is impeccable! Thank you!

• becky2010
    Original Author
    last year

Exciting! I love my marble. Sometimes I just really gaze at it adoringly. It’s been fantastic - enjoy!

• HU-918119203
    last year

Great timing! I have been debating doing a mix of Danby and soapstone to save a little money now that Danby has jumped in price to crazy levels. This was so helpful to see!

• Kendrah
    last year

@becky2010 . You should be able to find in your original post a square towards the bottom that says "Edit". Click on that and you can go back into the post and add or erase anything you'd like.

Your kitchen is lovely. Go you have a source for the blue stools? Also, curious why the hood was placed so high. It seems like it would not be very effective.

• becky2010
    Original Author
    last year

Hi @Kendrah - We got the stools from Rejuvenation (but they don't make blue anymore) and the hood is a ceiling mount range hood which I guess is somehow stronger than ones that are lower? We didn't want to cover the brick wall. It works great! And I think I was writing from my phone so I couldn't see the edit function!

• vicbayside
    8 months ago

Awesome lived in, working kitchen! My favorites are kitchens that look very personal and yours does. I laughed at your comment about still being afraid of your range! I had that range in my last house and I sure get it! Thanks for sharing!

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    8 months ago

Love the countertop!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm