Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssmcd

Fireplace, built-in, den redo

ssmcd
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

In a grey-with-chevron world, we are more of a barnyard than a farmhouse. It’s not that we have animals so much as people, lots of them, small ones who will still be jumping on furniture for the foreseeable future. And this is their favorite place: the den.

I need to to redo it, but not much. That’s the tricky part. It’s part of an open kitchen, which shares a honey wood floor with the Dining Room. There are windows everywhere, and I love soft color, so when we moved in a year ago, I kept the honey oak trim and painted this south Facing space Benjamin Moore Ladyfinger, keeping the tray ceiling off-white.

So there is a lot that I cannot change: the honey colored baseboards, the wall color, and for now, the carpet color. On one side of the fireplace is a built in bookcase, but the other is a door to the office, honey colored as well, with a large glass pane. I can’t change the door. So if you suggest painting the bookshelves, just know that the door will still be honey oak, without the symmetry of the same color on the other side.

So what can I change? Definitely the furniture, getting it out of the way of the beautiful view of our large Colorado yard. I can add curtains. I could resurface the brick somehow. I can paint the bookshelves. I will replace the table in the center of the big space with something that matches everything.

But I can’t figure it out in my mind! Any ideas to help me?? I am putting up a nighttime pic because none of the colors there now (including the Christmas decoration) need to stay, and it gives a pretty true sense to the cozy feel we love in the space. When we are not jumping around, we are reading, reading, reading, and while we live in Colorado now, Ireland with its pubs and the foggy Pacific Northwest are former homes, so cozy and warm is just right for our den. No grey or whitewashed shiplap, please.

Thank you for your help! In the comments I will post a photo of the kitchen, which faces the den.

Comments (31)

• ssmcd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is the other side of the room, the kitchen.

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    Your fourth paragraph tells you know what you can do. Here are a few thoughts....
    Window coverings can be curtains, draperies, or natural or grasscloth roll-up shades. A lot depends upon if you need sun control or privacy.
    Furniture can be arranged to take advantage of your view during the day. TV viewing may affect the arrangement.
    Change any worn-out or tired furniture or have it fixed and recovered. Don’t buy a sectional because it doesn’t allow freedom in arranging your room. A sofa or two and two chairs are adaptable and hold at least as many people.
    ssmcd thanked felizlady
  • ssmcd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

felizlady, thank you! All the furniture is tired, so it all needs to go. There is no Tv in this room, and I love curtains. I was thinking about an L-shaped sectional to face the windows and the fireplace, but maybe I shouldn't.

My main question is, can I update the fireplace/built-in? How would I do it, when it will still have the honey-oak door and trim next to it?

• Artsygirl
    5 years ago
    So Is an Irish pub the feel you’re going for ?
  • ssmcd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

aaaaah, jhmarie, that is so encouraging! You hit the nail on the head...I can't even find inspiration pics with warm tones! You mentioned floral curtains; I think we may be kindred spirits. I've loved these for years. I think this may be the room for them. https://www.potterybarn.com/products/cynthia-palampore-pole-pocket-drape/?pkey=ccurtains-drapes%7Cpatterned-drapes-curtains&isx=0.1.18800

And yes to changing the light fixture; I also do not know to what. The cozy tray ceiling with so much recessed lighting does not lend itself to anything that droops.

Maybe you are right that the fireplace is okay as it is, but I feel like it needs something. Maybe if I just painted the mantle? Or the mantle and the shelves? It's those spots that I don't like the orangey tones of the wood.

• ssmcd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Debbie, TBH I haven't gone for anything yet. We moved furniture we already had in with us not too long ago, and put books on the shelves. I painted the walls, but it's a big open space, so that wasn't a specific choice. But I do love the feeling of Irish pubs. I don't know how I would go for that!

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

I would leave the fireplace and mantle as is. If you don't need the shelving for books I would take out that shelving and place either art or 3 random floating shelves just a few fine pieces of art on the shelves or a couple of beautifully bound books in that space, Something simple and uncluttered.

I would buy less heavy furniture, place a couch on the wall facing the window and two small scale chairs across from the couch.

Changing the light fixture is a must. Continuing the hardwood would be great if there is enough $ in the budget.

For the windows, since you want to keep the view open I would do simple tab top curtains extinding the rods well past the sides of the window - like 2" on each side if possible. Keep the curtains pushed back so that only the very edge of the two side windows are covered by curtain.

ssmcd thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • ssmcd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love these ideas! Thank you, Jennifer Hogan.

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

That is a pretty fabric. Not quite the same - but I've saved similar in my window treatment idea book:

(183) Pinterest · More Info

You could start with reworking the bookshelves. Style them a bit with less books and a little decor - maybe a small floral artwork or botanical.

I have some Christie Repasy canvas art in my home - helps set the style I like. This 6 x 12" canvas print fits nicely on a bookshelf:

A piece of vintage china can also be displayed. I've found mis-matched vintage china in local antique stores for very little $.

I also have oak cabinets, but my trim is white. It was never oak so I did not have to decide about painting oak trim. It was dark stained pine. You don't have much trim in that area - just baseboard and the one door. My interior doors are also oak, but they work with the white trim. I did paint my family room bookshelves - also dark stained wood, so I am not opposed to painting, but you might have to paint the baseboards and door trim too. You do not have to paint the trim in the whole house - though I slowly did.

Kitchen and doors with white trim:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~93784236

I don't have a picture of the bookcase - total mess right now because it doubles as my art / sewing space:

The fireplace is on a different wall - I kept the mantel wood. Because I have both wood and white, I can use both where I want. The laundry room has white cabinets and so does the powder room, but the other bathrooms and basement kitchenette have wood. (pics in my "my pics" idea book.) You do not have to go with the white - the warm wood works, but if you feel you need to lighten up the space, it is a possibility. However, I think you need to do the baseboards and door trim if you do.

ssmcd thanked jhmarie
  • hollybar
    5 years ago

A warm-toned rug on wood floors sounds like where you are headed eventually. On the way there,I would consider a leather sofa with enough depth to be snuggly (Article's Sven model might work with its tufted bench seat) on the solid wall and a couple swivel chairs. Or maybe, a couch with a chaise on one end (Houzz heresy,I know) and smaller scale chairs. And, most importantly, the tables (or maybe an ottoman) and lamps needed to make the place comfy. Where else can I put down my Jameson's and my book? Right now,that fireplace wall seems to hold one end of your space,the kitchen cabinetry the other, and not much of interest in between. Once the focus comes off that fireplace wall, it will lose that prominence. Especially with some art over the couch and drapes at the window. You may still wish to change it, especially the mantel, but maybe not.

Now,if you want better advice from some of the talented folk, post a simple sketch with the measurements of the space. Until you decide, here's a pretty pic or two....wherein somebody forgot to paint the wood!

Marblehead Neck · More Info

Hollywood Makeover · More Info

ssmcd thanked hollybar
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Nice warm colours like burnt orange and taupe, perhaps paint book shelves the same colour as walls. Nice big art
    ssmcd thanked Irene Morresey
  • Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

I just looked at the link to the drapes at Pottery Barn. They are beautiful.

If these make your heart sing than that is your inspiration. Buy the drapes. Buy an extra panel. Take the fabric along when you go to look at furniture. Use the drapes to inspire the color selection of the couch and chairs. Use the extra panel and have a couple of throw pillows made from the same fabric. Buy art and sundries that feature the same color pallet as your fabric. Get a few things with the orange tones for on your table and for accents in your kitchen.

I have no doubt that with this as your starting point you can make these rooms into a work of art!

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

My mother passed away 17 years ago, but her advice was timeless. She told us that we don't live in the pages of a magazine, we live in homes. Don't copy what other people have decided you should like. She also had a rule that we had to follow when selecting what we wanted to wear as young children. We could wear anything we wanted as long as we could find the same color combination in nature. That carried over to adulthood and selecting color pallets for our homes. Mother nature is the ultimate color consultant!

She also told us that it was better to buy high quality items slowly over time than to replace inexpensive items every few years and that we should only buy items that made our hearts sing. I have filled my home with pieces of furniture and art and sundries over 30 years and each piece represents a part of me. My home is uniquely mine. It reflects my personality, not some trend set by people who I have never met.

• PRO
    Susan Tiritilli
    5 years ago
    I like the idea of a sectional, a new light fixture flush mounted, and floral curtains.
    ssmcd thanked Susan Tiritilli
  • PRO
    Susan Tiritilli
    5 years ago
    Here are a few suggestions.
    ssmcd thanked Susan Tiritilli
  • housegal200
    5 years ago

I'm not showing a sectional, but it's not the worst idea since you have bouncy little kids using the room and you could face it towards your view and the fireplace. Otherwise, the advice about a sofa and two chairs is great. (You could have a sofa with chaise.) Add an ottoman for one of the chairs as in the photo below. If you pick a leather sofa, choose a camel color, not black or brown. Camel will harmonize well with your honey trim.

Bouldin Creek Bachelor Pad · More Info

Midcentury Living Room · More Info

Rug in honey, blues, or with some earthy reds.

Chandra Lost Link Blue-Red 7'9"x10'6" Area Rug · More Info

Southwestern Upholstery Fabric, Southwest, Mesa · More Info

Something like this over your dining table. Do coordinate lighting finishes for living, dining, and kitchen areas since it's all one spac

Wood Pendant Lamp (Ceiling Lighting), OP1005L-WN&MP · More Info

Bulletin 3-Light Pendant, Brushed Steel Finish · More Info

Outdoor Ceiling 2-Light · More Info

Plain curtains the same color as your walls, or bamboo shades, will keep the focus on your view.

ssmcd thanked housegal200
  • housegal200
    5 years ago

Susan's flush-mounted lights up above a great! As I mentioned, keep some of the bronze, wood, and golden tones in kitchen and dining lighting. It's all one space, so details should harmonize.

• sowkmom
    5 years ago

The drapes are wonderful! Buy them as others have suggested and let them be the inspiration! My Home tends to be on the warmer side as well so I understand where you’re coming from! Here are the drapes in my family room and I love them still after 3(or 4 or 5??) years.

The light fixture above with the linen shade would look great in your room!

regarding furniture...we have 4 kids and a cat and it all gets heavy use. To be honest...my expensive Norwalk couch has not held up much better than my ikea sectional..

good luck!

ssmcd thanked sowkmom
  • housegal200
    5 years ago

Thank you understanding that gray is not for you in the house you have with all those warm woods. Gray is one of those color trends that can work very well, but it's a cool color and doesn't fit every room. I hope it goes the way of shiplap, which fits some houses but definitely not all of them. A significant number of Design Dilemmas posters wonder why their gray rooms don't feel cozy. Um, it's because they're gray and need warmer wood tones or a different paint job. Congratulations for knowing you crave warm tones in your house!

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    Regarding the fireplace, I think it is nicely designed. I would reduce the amount of display items on the mantel for a lighter look. The doorway on the right seems somewhat blocked by furniture...it may be the angle of the photo...be sure that you could easily walk through the door with a big box in your hands without bumping into furniture (you may never do that but it is one way to judge if furniture blocks a traffic pattern).
    If you add hardwood flooring in an adjacent space, that might be the time to have all the flooring refinished if it has any worn spots. You could have the floor color changed slightly by adding a bit more brown, but it would still work well with the honey cabinetry.
    ssmcd thanked felizlady
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    For the furniture, I would have the sofa face the windows and put the chairs near the windows because they block a bit less of the view outdoors. If you got a smaller-sized sectional with narrow back and tailored cushions, placing it against the wall with the short L side away from the fireplace end could work. My objection to sectionals is that they are too often large and bulky and the parts look odd if separated. Also, fo me, a comfortable chair has arms to put my elbows on, while people sharing a sectional are literally arm-to-arm with each other. If you frequently need more seating, a three-person sofa facing the window, two chairs on the window side and one or two chairs or a loveseat facing the fireplace will give you seating for seven.
    ssmcd thanked felizlady
  • Laura Hill
    5 years ago
    Lovely room! With your current furniture, you have seating for 4 (2 arm chairs, and 2-seat sofa). Since your family loves reading so much (and that seems to be the primary function of the room), maybe you should consider embracing the “library” concept. Four comfy club chairs around a large ottoman would be great for reading and putting your feet up. Add a couple of floor pillows/poufs for little kiddos, since they love being on the floor! The 4 club chairs do not necessarily have to be identical.
    ssmcd thanked Laura Hill
  • ssmcd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Club chairs!! So charming!

• ssmcd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is my first time using Houzz, and you all have just blown me away! Everyone added something valuable, and I have so many great ideas to work with! I wanted to hear more from Jennifer Hogan’s mother. She sounds so special and I think Her wisdom goes far beyond design and decor. I often feel conflicted for my peers, because as sophisticated as they often are, I want to walk in their space and know them. Where have you been? Who are you?? I don’t want the room to answer back—”I am (trying to be) Joanna Gaines, and I have been to Target!” I mean has there ever been a generation that did less farming and spent more money on the “farmhouse?” Who are we? (I am about to turn forty, btw, thus the existential burden of everything.). But our mothers either pass down the courage to be real, or the fear of it, don’t they?

The light fixtures you all posted are gorgeous as well as the inspiration pictures, which are almost all exactly what i would like to cozy up in.

Thank you all so much! This will take a while, but when I have some progress, I will put up pics!

• tdemonti
    5 years ago

I may have missed this suggestion - I'd replace the black fireplace screen with brass. Maybe remove the mantle - the horizontalness of items on the mantle cause this wall to seem short.

Can the window trim be painted to match the wood trim?

• PRO
    Gavin Historical Bricks
    5 years ago

We actually think the fireplace works in the room well right now and wouldn't paint or do anything to it, other than remove all items from it and just replace with one piece of artwork.

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    The Pottery Barn drapes are gorgeous and you should buy them, plus an extra one as suggested. Clearing out the shelves so you can re-think them is also a great idea.
    You might want a “bolder” couch once you bring in the drapes. A warm orange couch seems like it could bring a strong color in.
    If you can continue the wood flooring into that area, then rugs will also add to the comfort factor.
    The lighting ideas above probably will get you in the right direction for that decision too.
  • ssmcd
    Original Author
    last year

I cannot believe I never came back and added pictures. It was no way to thank all the people who helped me so much. You can see your ideas in play, here. The mention of the pub crystallized vision for me around memories of my studies Ireland, the curtains dictated colors and accents, the flush mount lighting was way more important than I would have ever thought of, the caramel colored leather is like a warm hug, and some warm, sophisticated carpet really helped everything melt together. The pictures really don’t do it justice. Thank you all so much!

• ssmcd
    Original Author
    last year

And one more with the puppy.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

Wow it looks great! The caramel colored leather really brings the room together!