Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prosborne55

Painting over Grasscloth Wallpaper

Pamela Arcure
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I saw an old post regarding a 1990s townhouse and grass cloth walls stating that they painted them, but there were no end result photos of the painted walls. I, too, purchased a 1990s townhouse recently. I love its "retro" design and am mixing with my own touches--but the main bathroom has grass cloth walls with a vaulted ceiling and removing will be a huge project. I need detailed advice on how to paint over it, if possible. I read that you start with a primer(?) and then follow with 2 coats of latex. If the paint is thinned, will the texture still come through (which I would love)? There are spots at the edges where the paper ripped. Will the paint blend that?

Also, if anyone has any photos of the finished walls, I would truly appreciate. I would love to tackle this myself and put the bigger investment into vanity, fixtures and lighting.

Thank you!

Comments (3)

• Sierra Boyce
    last year

Did you do it?! I am sooooo close to painting our grasscloth bathroom but I feel like everyone posts about it and no one follows up with after photos or updates so it scares me 😂

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

I'm interested to know as well if you painted and, if so, how the result worked for you.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

Hi Pamela! We would love to hear how it turned out!