Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benitalharris

Thomasville vs. Ethan Allen vs. Bassett

benitalharris
6 years ago

I know this has probably been addressed at some point, but, I'm trying to decide between Thomasville, Ethan Allen and Bassett sofas. I've seen bad reviews for all 3 and some good reviews. My question is which of the three do most consider the "best made" sofas for the price? I think all 3 are 8-way hand tied, hardwood frames, etc. Is one a better sofa for the price? I'm thinking Ethan Allen is a little pricier for than the other two. Thanks!

Comments (26)

• Lindsey B
    6 years ago

I sold La-Z-Boy...what type of sofa are you looking at? Just a normal "stationary" peice? Or something that reclines?

In my opinion, if you are looking for reclining pieces, really check out Flexsteel.

I don't have enough knowledge of the 3 you mention to recommend one over the other.. but also consider if the cushions are attached, if they can be flipped, or the covers removed to clean and or restuffed with out deconstructing the entire sofa. You'll get more mileage. I'd also carefully pick your fabric. Watch for fabrics that will pill easily. If you go with a leather, think of your current life style. The lovely supple leathers are wonderful but are more easy to damage. A performance leather will look better longer. Avoid bonded leathers-- they will peal quick.

All your brands listed would be considered above average and I don't think you can "wrong".. I would pick what is most comfortable you, in the material that best suites your life style.

• Pugga70
    6 years ago

Following....

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

We're presently on our third Ethan Allen sofa. All were purchased via consignment, so second hand. I like to change things up frequently--I've had 9 sofas in the past almost 20 years of adulthoodhood. Someday when the kids are grown I'll probably buy EA new; they've been my favorite sofas.

• mmilos
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

For the price Ethan Allen and Thomasville charge, I would look at Sherrill or Taylor King instead... much better build quality.

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

Ethan Allen seemed to last very well for me ... but my living room sofas get minimal use ....

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

My Ethan Allen sofa is about 12 years old, and stood up well to daily use and pets during that time. I just had it slipcovered and the seat cushions replaced and will probably cover it again in another 12 years if it’s looking tired but still comfy. I have a custom made sofa that is not as comfortable, I think I paid around $6k for it. I have heard that EA quality is not what it was, don’t know about that.

no experience with upholstered pieces from the other two companies.

• odin08075
    6 years ago

Ethan Allen sofas for me too. Had them my entire life an raised two boys on them without problems.

• Fsal
    6 years ago
    My family room is completely furnished by Thomasville and running on its 10th year. Looks like new. Not even kidding. Cushions are still firm and plump and has withstood three boys who have just become teenagers. Granted I used slipcovers when they were young and taught them what not to do, but still.
  • benitalharris
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for responses. looks like Ethan Allen is a favorite. I'm looking for "comfortable" tight back sofas that will be used as our only sofas. I've picked out a few favorite models with each of the brands but am having a difficult time finding a model that you can actually go see, sit on and try-out beforehand. I've yet to find the Thomasville sofa and I've looked at every Thomasville store within 150/200 miles of my home. :(

• Michelle
    6 years ago

I have an EA Bennett sofa. It's probably at least 12 years old. The fabric (I chose an upgrade) is still in great shape. I could probably replace the cushion inserts, but they certainly aren't worn out and haggard looking. I just moved it to the basement this weekend because I've ordered a new sectional. It's a Norwalk. I am using a designer with Luxe Home Interiors. There were several brands in the store and most of the sofas had different cushion inserts to try. For example, there was a sofa with 3 cushions on it and each cushion had a different insert (no down, down wrapped or all down). I was able to see and feel the difference. Do you have a design store near you?

Oh! Almost forgot...I also have a Laz-y-boy. Hate it, but it's a sleeper sofa so I keep it. It wasn't expensive so I chalk it up to 'you get what you pay for'.

• chinch
    6 years ago

I have an EA Bennet and Arcata sectional....love , especially the Arcata it's gorgeous

• Cassie Garro
    6 years ago

I've purchased both Bassett and Ethan Allen furniture in the past. Both have worn exceptionally well. That being said, I would lean more towards the Ethan Allen pieces.

• Liz
    4 years ago

I’ve had an EA 86” Bennett sofa, which was the largest I could get up the stairs in my old colonial house. I’ve ha it for 20 years, and just recently, the middle cushion “sunk,” making it very uncomfortable for daily use. Six months ago, I bought all new cushion inserts, but the spring support seems to be the issue. However, after 20 years, I cannot complain. The fabric looks new & even the old cushions were in great shape.
    I am now shopping for a larger sectional since I have the space in my new townhouse, but I am retired, so my budget can only stretch so much. I’ve seen pieces at both La-Z-Boy & Bassett, and while they carry similar styles, their sofas cannot compare to EA’s looks, fabric and quality and, from personal experience, long-term use. With a fixed income (& a few “needs” that will have to be replaced in my new home within the next few years), a $5K couch is well above my budget. Any suggestions where I should look? I don’t want to buy a couch online. Or should I consider the couch an investment, and buy what I know will last me the rest of my life?

• Sharon Perkins
    4 years ago

My Ethan Allen white slipcovered couch is 20 years old and probably has another 20 years life left in it. We just had a new slipcover made out of dropcloth so we can switch them out And extend the life of each. My couch has gotten lots of use, including dogs that like to lay across the top( my son’s dog, not mine!)

• bowser24
    4 years ago

Definitely not Thomasville or Bassett. I don’t own anything from Ethan Allen. A bunch of expensive junk. Ready to trash it all!

• Liz
    4 years ago

Why not Bassett? I’m still undecided. & I find their customer service (pre-sale at that) subpar.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    4 years ago

The original Thomasville brand shuttered a few years ago. The brand name is now owned by Authentic Brands Group, which is not a manufacturer but rather a company that owns brand names and licenses the names to others. So what someone had that is Thomasville from 7 or more years ago is not at all what is being branded "Thomasville" today.

Another recommendation to look at Flexsteel.

• Lisa Kenny
    4 years ago

Bought a Bassett sectional for over $3,000 and it is made like crap. They sent repair person who showed me what the sofa looks like under the fabric and it was literally cardboard. He asked me for one of the amazon boxes I had to use for the repair. Needless to say been fighting with Bassett for 3 Months. Stay away.

• Liz
    4 years ago

Hi Lisa, did you buy the sectional at one of their stores or through Amazon? Their warranty on the frame & cushions is 7 years; 1 year parts & service & after that, you’re responsible for getting it to the repair shop/factory. But from all the research I’ve done in the past month, that’s about standard in the $3-$4K couch price range. Stinks, doesn’t it?

• Lynn Flanagan
    3 years ago

I too am looking at couches and my choice so far has been Ethan Allen. I have two matching Thomasville sofa’s in my den that are about 18 years old. Fabric is still great but the springs are now getting worn. My Living room has a four year old Thomasville and I absolutely hate it. I did not know they were sold When I bought and so regret it having paid what I did. I have replaced cushions and the back cushion twice already. The quality is terrible. Its not what used to be So I would definitely stay away. I can’t decide if I buy Ethan Allen or reupholster the den couches that I have loved and still do.. I have been told by reupholsters if its old Thomasville it is definitely worth re-doing.

• chrisstack
    3 years ago

Lisa Kenny really cardboard? No wood?

• Nadia Greenidge
    last year

Ethan Allen hands down, you do get what you pay for.

• Fletch Page
    last year

Ethan Allen by far is superior and primarily made in the US.

• dan1888
    last year

My Thomasville couch seat cushions use pocketed coil springs inside. The cushions are always firm and retain their shape.

• Maribeth Timony
    7 months ago

Ive bought sofas from both Ethan Allen and Bassett - Ethan Allen is far superior. they stand by their products. As soon as your furniture is delivered bt Bassett they consider it a Final Sale and want nothing to do with you. Never returned my calls or respoded to my email.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert