Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reha1

Beware of Calcutta Gold Marble Tile!

The Design Doula
6 years ago

I just wanted to share with others the difficulties I am having in tiling two walls of my master bathroom (90 sqft) in Calcutta Gold 4x12 tiles. I ordered the highest quality calcutta gold ($200/box) more than 50% of my order looked like the tiles below--basically a translucent pale gray. Every single tile in those boxes in the picture look EXACTLY like the top one you see. A quarter of the order was very contrasty, streaky, veiny dark gray and the remaining quarter was what I had sought--a sort of quiet beautiful white, gold, and soft gray streaked. There was absolutely no way to harmonize these three distinct looks into a reasonable shower wall pattern. After considerable discussion and begging/pleading, the distributor took back these and gave me another group of tiles. The new ones were slightly different in size and had a 4th look to them--a beige look with soft gray streaks. My expert tile guy knew that we couldn't do a lay out with tiles of different sizes. Anyway, I continue to struggle on where to go from here. I have only 5-6 boxes of the beautiful original tiles but that's not enough for a shower wall. And, as an FYI to other Calcutta lovers, a full slab of Calcutta in Southern California starts at $3,500 and that's not even Calcutta Gold; CG slabs started at $7,000 and the one I loved the most was $11,000!!! I'm hoping my story will serve others who are smitten with this gorgeous, but perhaps unattainable stone (at least for the people whose houses will NOT be featured in Architectural Digest).

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    6 years ago

Most likely that's not the real Calacatta tile out of Italy, first quality material runs over $ 40 SF.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Natural stone has variations always and boxes of tile even more so if you want perfect then get porcelain that looks like the stone you like or learn to love the variationd and stop trying to have a pattern Neither of these have a “pattern” but just allow the stone to shine

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

The rule of laying tile is to open several boxes at once and intermix while you lay. I've seen calacatta gold tiles that are very plain as in your photo to heavy movement similar to what Patricia has photoed. It's natural stone and it all varies. It's the nature of the beast.

• The Design Doula
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all. Yes, we opened ALL BOXES and laid them all out. Yes, I was well aware of variation in natural stone and sought it out--or I would have just chosen porcelain or ceramic tiles. Yes, we paid just about $40/sq ft. The problem I am illuminating is that there are very few restrictions on the suppliers of natural stone from just filling a box of "junk" (and we all know junk when we see it) and adding two or three pieces of "quality" stone. You can't return it; you can't "hand pick." Its like buying cereal boxes for the prize! You never know what you are going to get. Quite a risky path at $200/box! And, if someone were to just use what I received in my boxes, worth $2000 (which included extra boxes for overage), you would have been miserable! Each stone tile needs to at least harmonize with its neighbors--I'm not suggesting I was trying to reassemble a slab's veining or match veins. Just basic visual harmony. Thus, my warning stands. Be careful!

• PRO
    GannonCo
    6 years ago

There are so many porcelain options that it makes no sense to use marble in an every day bathroom. A lot of the high pics you see are slabs or slab cut which you arent replicating store bought tiles. Add to this that these high end baths get redone often not like the usual 20 year baths in med priced homes.

Marble is the worst product for any wet area. Wait till they are set and then you will really see the issues. Most tile persons will have homeowner sign discloser because there is AWAYS that one or two pieces that look odd.

When your paying $25k-50k to tile a shower it is because of all the waste and time needed to make it look like the pics you see.

Use a matte porcelain tile and be smart don't show just to have marble.

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    I agree with the other poster. Your tile is NOT Calcutta marble. I have Calcutta marble in my master bath and Carrera marble around my fireplace and the top of my island in my dressing room. What you have looks like Carrera. Frankly the price you paid is for Carrera not Calcutta. Double it and you will have real Calcutta. I know I just finished my bathroom and for the person that said you shouldn't put marble in a bathroom - that is laughable. Marble was used in baths since Roman times. What Americans must understand is that is ages, stains and becomes more beautiful with wear.
    The Design Doula thanked gtcircus
  • The Design Doula
    Original Author
    6 years ago

BethH--thank you!! Your comments are excellent! I agree--I got scammed! I am in the process of working through my return with this very "reputable" major distributor in Anaheim's "Platinum Triangle" and will share more later. And to the poster who loves porcelain--we are comparing apples and oranges here. Thank you for your excellent points, Bellburgmaggie! I agree. There is a luster and energetic essence of marble that is hard to describe but makes one's knees weak. Like the difference between real flowers and fake ones.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Renee, I have a very good tile shop down there in Anaheim. I can refer you to my tile guy if you would like. StateCollegeDistributors. let me know if you'd like his name.

and I agree w/you,,,,I have yet to see porcelain tile that looks like real Calacatta Gold.

You guys, calcutta used to be a city in India. It's never been the name of that marble. I really don't know who started calling it that!

• mick50
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for the warning, Renee. I really appreciate it. We're about to choose materials for our master bath remodel and that would be very disappointing. I can't stand the explanation from salesmen that it's natural stone and that happens (getting all one solid color.) No, it is deliberate. The hallmark of marble, whether it's Calacutta or Carrara, is the veining. Sure some pieces will have fewer veins than others, but to magically have every piece in all those boxes lack the gray (or gray/gold) veining is ridiculous. It makes me mad.

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    Actually, I don't think its even Carrera, I think its the cheap China stuff. My Carrera is nicer than that and by the way, the real Calcutta is absolutely worth it - although your wallet will be much lighter for it. I smile every single morning I go in to use my bathroom. Another cautionary, statuary or Grecian marble is NOT Calcutta marble. I did porcelain tile that looks like marble in the guest bath. It's nice, but for a master go for the real deal. I use the master every day. The guest bath is not used as often. And yes I can tell the difference.
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    I think its spell check that keeps writing it as Calcutta. I'm going to try to make it write Calacutta.
  • The Design Doula
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you again, Beth. I may take you up on your tile guy info. I'm hopefully going to sort out my problems this week. I will PM you:) And Mick50, I hope my story helps. What other product does one buy under these conditions? Could you image buying a "white sedan" and not knowing if the car you were going to drive off the lot was a toyota, nissan, honda, etc? Ridiculous!

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    6 years ago

Were the tiles you purchased labeld Calacatta? Even the boxes would say "made in Italy". Go visit a couple of good tiles stores that carry higher end products and you will see the difference.

• The Design Doula
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi, I thought I would add the happy ending to this story. After 4 trips to the marble and stone distributor and countless disagreements, I FINALLY got a lot of gorgeous tiles.

• Danielle Hill
    6 years ago

@The Design Doula Thank you so much for this post. I'm searching for a nice Calcatta gold right now. Do these look like a real Calacatta gold?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    6 years ago

If you want real Calacatta from Italy, then go to a high-end reputable tile or stone company. It's not really possible to determine from your photo if that tile is indeed Calacatta, there are so many different marbles in the world!

• The Design Doula
    Original Author
    6 years ago

HI Danielle, your tiles do look good. I did go to a very high-end reputable place, believe it or not! My order was placed by a high-end designer who does large jobs all over Los Angeles. The tile company thought that since my order was so tiny, they could just pass on some left overs and mismatch to us--yes true Calacatta but not good pieces. Here's the deal--you go into a reputable place and they show you ten beautiful natural stone tiles. You place an order for ten cases and sometimes those 10 cases might only contain 10 beautiful tiles! My own tile guy had this happen to him! He has been in the business for 30 years. He ordered slate for his backyard, and what he received didn't quite look as good as what he saw in the showroom. Tile distributors will tell you--"natural stone has variation"--which is true, but you must insist that it is similar to what you are seeing in the showroom.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

Natural stone is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. If you want something similar to what you're seeing in the showroom, buy a man made product like ceramic or porcelain.

• athomeeileen
    6 years ago
    You can order a box or 2 before you buy the whole order and look at the tiles from that lot first. If you like it, make sure your boxes are ordered from the same lot.
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

Ceramic and porcelain tiles come in lots, dye lots. Natural stone comes from a quarry. 1 or 2 boxes do not represent the entire "lot" of the stone...

• Danielle Hill
    6 years ago

@The Design Doula, you are spot on! Companies will use the “its natural variation” excuse to send you crap. We had the same problem with almost all gray Calacatta gold being sent to us with very few having a creamy white background with golds. Our installer put the marble up without me seeing all the boxes first. The marble we got was was so off from the sample that I had to buy a totally different floor! I made such a stink about it that they are sending me replacements (those are the beautiful tiles in the picture above). Here are pics of my Gray “Calacatta gold” shower.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

A lot of the companies you purchase from don't have a choice as most of the products they purchase are preboxed by the manufacture.

• mcm98119
    3 years ago

This has me concerned... I was looking at Calcutta Gold from Stone Products in CA and an online vendor--TileZZ which is less expensive but has the sizes I'm interested in. Is going with the less expensive TileZZ.com or carraramarble.com going to deliver product that isn't Calcutta Gold? Or not the premium stones? Would be grateful for advice from the experts!

• mcm98119
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@The Design Doula--what is the size of your shower pictured above? I'm wondering if a 32" x 48" shower size will be OK? I worry it'll be too small but if I lengthen it, I'll have trouble getting 24" btwn my vanity and the shower in a small bathroom...

• The Design Doula
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just measured my shower. It’s 35”
    X 48”. We’ve had it for several years now and it is working great for us. I like small showers! Why? I have to clean them!

• Brenda Ables
    11 days ago

I have purchased calacatta gold from Tilezz in Anaheim. They have excellent choices of real beautiful veined calacatta gold.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    11 days ago

Very beautiful Brenda!