Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_ashley_townsend

Can natural maple floors work with modern decor?

nicole_ashley_townsend
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This might seem like a silly question, but I have always imagined modern decor with darker floors. My husband and I bought an old house (built in 1914) this July, and we are working to do some renovating before we move in at the end of this month. We peeled up carpet that's been there for 50 years to find stunning floors!!

We have labored for 20+ hours on all the sanding to get them bare. Downstairs, we have maple, and upstairs, we have fir. My husband has convinced me to go with natural finish upstairs, which will give us a great light red-brown. Downstairs, though, we are also debating between going natural.

My decor taste is modern/pretty minimal. Think Ikea, but a little cozier. Do you think we should keep the natural color on our maple floors? Would it work with modern decor? Any pictures for reference would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Comments (19)

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Maple does not take stain well. Natural finish maple is a classic. It will look great with modern furniture.

nicole_ashley_townsend thanked apple_pie_order
  • User
    6 years ago

Yes, natural maple can be a modern look. It will darken over time.

Nice house. Nice floors. Good luck!

nicole_ashley_townsend thanked User
  • PRO
    nicole_ashley_townsend thanked Unique Wood Floors
  • PRO
    nicole_ashley_townsend thanked Unique Wood Floors
  • nicole_ashley_townsend
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It seems like natural wood is winning here!! Thank you so much, guys. If we go 100% natural, it looks like some yellow may come through with Rubio Monocoat finish. This is the "Pure" sample, which is the 100% natural. What are your thoughts about adding the most minimal tint, with Smoke 5%?

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I would say that's an acceptable compromise. It has a nice clean Scandinavian look. Good idea.

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    6 years ago

I like the 5% smoke idea. Hope the picture will help to envision the installed floor:

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6 years ago

Yes...Scandinavian modern is all about natural wood tones (especially on the floor) with crisp white walls and chrome accents and BIG dollops of colour (think purple sofa with red accents on walls).

Love a natural wood floor with modern. And just for fun...Ikea Vancouver has used our most popular cork floors for the "Eco Kitchen" display = Silver Birch Cork flooring = natural cork colour = same colour as natural maple or natural oak.

• PRO
    Rosenhaus Design Group, Inc.
    6 years ago

Natural Maple is clean, smooth and definitely modern. See photo.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Yes, definitely maple in natural works with modern. Most of the modern designs that were done in the 80s used maple flooring. Beware that it WILL darken over time, I have a kitchen/dining area that has gonw about 30 percent darker due to all the light and we have UV windows. It gets a nice medium honey tone. I am wishing I'd have gone for the whitewashed version now, but I'm selling soon so won't have to worry about it.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Since you have a 1914 house, please do not compromise the beauty of the old house by tearing out any of the architectural features. Use furniture to make the house modern. Also if you have any original woodwork that isn't painted, I beg of you not to paint it. You'll thank me when you go to sell because people who want a historic house, want it with the original features and will pay a premium for that.

I looked for 2 years for an old house from 1900's-1930 in my neighborhood that hadn't been "modernized" to the current trend, whether the trend was 1960's, 70's, 2000's or later and gave up to build a new craftsman house because every single house had been "updated" and stripped of its charm.

Yes maple floors can be quite modern and an old house with modern furniture, paintings and color can look quite chic.

• Embeth
    last year

Can you please update? Would love to hear what you did and see pictures. I have dark stained maple floors that we are debating refinishing and going natural.

• PRO
  • Embeth
    last year

Thank you for posting. What sealer can you put on raw maple to keep that raw look and avoid going too yellow?

• elcieg
    last year

For sure...are you familiar with Japandi style? It is a combo of Japanese and Scandinavian (IKEA).

Posting one YouTube, but you can investigate other sites. I love it. We have lots of Japanese antique furniture, so, I was taken with this new approach to decorating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2glfgpve9MA

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    last year

@ Embeth

I am a factory finished wood floor professional. I help people appreciate and find their ideal wood floors every day. But I am not trained to advise how you can achieve the raw maple look. Others may here.

The floor is made by a Canadian mill Proverco. It comes in 2 grades, V+ and Nuance in 5-1/8" and 7-1/8" wide.

• hbeing
    last year

beautiful wood floor!

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    last year

Thank you!