Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Damage to quartz counters by workers - repair or replace?

Pipdog
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The protective covers from our counters (Caesarstone Pure White) were removed this weekend to reveal two fairly deep gashes to the right of the sink. They are each about the size of a quarter and are noticeable.

I assume one of the workers dropped a tool or something heavy on the counters, which obviously were inadequately protected. I noticed that the plumbers and the electricians had their tools on the counters.

Should I request replacement of this counter? Or can this damage be repaired? Joe, any thoughts?

Comments (20)

• cluelessincolorado
    6 years ago

Well, THAT is irritating!

• rantontoo
    6 years ago

I am so sorry that happened to you...I would be livid!

The problem is...can you prove who damaged it? Did the countertop people damage it on install, electricians, plumbers...???

I know the feeling when workmen lay tools and equipment down on any near horizontal surface...learned that with my bathroom remodel. I thought I was being too paranoid in planning to have cardboard and thin plywood cut to fit my kitchen counters and lower cabs when we get that far...now I know I am not!

Keep us posted!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Oh wow that is terrible. I agree how would you be able to prove who did it. I covered all my countertops with blankets and heavy towels and put up big signs everywhere warning the workers of having to deal with the angry Cajun lady if they even touched the countertops. They all had a good laugh but no one touched my countertops or left anything on them. They never knew when I might decide to come in and bust them. Good luck with this!

• just_janni
    6 years ago

Yikes - I'd definitely want that fixed. I know how you keep your house, and those 2 areas would catch the light every time you looked over there.

• eam44
    6 years ago

Bummer dude. That's a gorgeous counter.

Pipdog thanked eam44
  • Pipdog
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks for the input, all. Joseph, it is fairly deep and my first reaction was that this was a total replacement as well. It's helpful to know that it's likely a diamond blade cut from a grinder -- the tile guys were just in there on Saturday finishing up the shower floor and installing the shelf for the niche, so it is very likely they are the culprits. I noticed it Sunday afternoon when I lifted up the paper on the counter.

Crossing my fingers my GC/tile guy will be reasonable about this and step up to replace.

oh the joys of remodeling...

• jmarino19
    6 years ago

Agree with all above that it needs to be replaced. Chips and dings will happen. But the GC needs to deliver things new, not broken in. Repairing gouges like that in a quartz countertop will not give you a truly like new countertop. The guy can spend so much money and time trying, but it's not worth the effort. New will be easier for him. He is lucky you have a simpler Ceasarstone and not one of the most exoensive materials available. Good luck!

Pipdog thanked jmarino19
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Pipdog:

When did the protective paper go down and who installed it?

It is possible the fabricator nicked the top, installed it, covered it with paper, and hoped that by the time it was discovered, enough other trades have been by that he has plausible deniability. He'd get paid for fixing his own screw-up.

Did the paper have a rip in it where the marks are? If so, that would seem to point to the tile guy.

Pipdog thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Replace. That's a workman's damage, now it's a guess of who did it.

Pipdog thanked Carolina Kitchen & Bath
  • Pipdog
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Joseph, that's very likely what happened. I think you're probably right about it being a diamond blade nick. The protective paper went down just after the counters were installed, a few months ago. Since then, numerous trades have come through the bathroom and many of them have laid tools on counters. But the tile guys were just in there last week, finishing up the shower niche and grouting the floors.

I talked to my contractor about it yesterday. He was already aware of the damage. He said he's working it out with the tile installer. Late yesterday they sent two men over to measure the counter, so that likely means it's going to be replaced. Also, one of my white Caesarstone slabs in a smaller bath has a tennis ball-sized yellow stain on it that can't be removed or rubbed off, so that one likely has to come out as well. At least, they are owning the damaging and (hopefully) making it right. Thanks all for the input.

• eam44
    6 years ago

Yellow stain? I wanted to use exactly this, Caesarstone pure white, in my powder room. I'm re-thinking this decision now.

• misschocolatecake
    6 years ago

Pipdog, so so sorry about your counter and hope they step up to replace it but....what sink is that?? I am about to do a plain white quartz counter and white sink and those look so good together! Also, can't wait for your reveal!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    6 years ago

eam44, we bought five slabs of Pure White for the remodel and a couple slabs showed up with this mysterious yellow stain. My fabricator said he exchanged the slabs that had the stain, but somehow a small piece in our guest room showed up with it on there. I'll snap a photo of it. It almost looks like pollen, but it won't rub off.

misschocolatecake, it's a Kohler sink -- I will double check my order form from Pirch and let you know which model.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was mistaken -- the sink is actually a Ronbow, 19.5 x 14.5 rectangular undermount sink.

• Fori
    6 years ago

On the bright side...it takes a spinning diamond blade to do that....

It's gonna be so nice eventually!

• User
    6 years ago

Hope it works out!

• HU-473013207
    10 days ago

I just had new Cambria quartz countertops with waterfall installed and a few days later the installers from the appliance store damaged my countertops ! They were using my countertop like a work bench and noticed chips around the sink and a 3” scratch on the otherside of the slab ! i want the whole countertop replaced along with the undermount sink that cant be reused . im not sure if they can only remove just the countertop or does the waterfall have to be replaced ? also had a problem with the contractor , they didnt measure correctly between the upper cabinets and the stainless steel hood . the cabinet needed to be moved a 1/4’” so they could install the hood but left a 1/4” gap between the cabinet and slab . i need a whole new backsplash installed and thats on the contractor !

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 days ago

What you want and what you're going to get are two different things. Sink chips are particularly easy to permanently remove with a larger edge profile and polish. The scratch is more difficult, but not impossible.

I don't see you getting a new backsplash over a 1/4" gap at the hood. Maybe some molding or caulk.

Get a written proposal from a reputable stone restoration contractor and present it to the appliance installation company please.

• chispa
    10 days ago

@HU-473013207, next time it would be better if you start your own post with your current issue instead of resurrecting a 6 year old post. Many won't notice when they read this and will be answering/commenting on the 6 year old issue and not on your current one.