Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diy_er3586

New roof needed: "3-tab shingles are no longer up to code??"

diy_er3586
7 years ago

My friend needs a new roof, and a roofer told her they only do dimensional shingles now because the 3-tab shingles are "no longer up to code." This sounds like bad info to me, but maybe not? Anybody know?

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• User
    7 years ago

Never heard of that. Ever.

• millworkman
    7 years ago

If they were not "up to code" they would no longer be manufactured. find another roofer.

• klem1
    7 years ago

Tha Said and I Herd are two of the worst liars in the country. Don't listen to either.

• diy_er3586
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for letting me know. I suspected that.

• User
    7 years ago

It just occurred to me there could be a code problem if the home is in a HOA that has rules about what kind of shingles can be used on the houses in the HOA area. That has nothing to do with building codes, but dpoes have legal precedence.

• User
    7 years ago

High wind rated location?

• diy_er3586
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The HOA is very loose and has no shingle restrictions. Not a high wind area. I think they just really want to sell the architectural shingles instead. Thanks to all of you!

• Vith
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Would have been better to just tell them for the labor involved to get the better shingles instead of going with cheap 3 tabs instead of lying about code. I would guess they would prefer to do dimensional because it is a better product and probably easier to install as you don't need a perfect pattern for it to look good.

Pros of Dimensional Shingles

Because of the double bonded layer, dimensional shingles actually offer more protection from wind and hail — with the heaviest grades able to withstand 130 mph winds. Other benefits include:

• Longer lifespan - 40-50 year warranties is not uncommon.
    • More attractive - lots of colors and options available giving your roof a unique look.
    • Less likely to warp due to heavier construction.
    • Better at hiding structural imperfections in roof.
    • Readily available due to popularity.
    • Works on most roof types and pitches - like regular asphalt shingles, these can be used practically anywhere.
    • Generally accepted as more aesthetically pleasing - so much so that many neighborhoods even require them

http://www.roofingsouthwest.com/what-are-dimensional-shingles

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

Codes vary by locality. If you have code questions, the best way to find out is to call your local building permit office and ask them. I have read on this forum time and time again where something is allowed in many places but not in the one being posted about. Not that this is likely in this case, but don't take the word of random people on the internet about your local codes.

• Linda Doherty
    7 years ago

Are ou sure they are confusing them with the old t lock shingles?

• PRO
    Student
    8 months ago

It's not a code issue from what I understand, it's an insurance issue. 3-tabs are not as good at handling wind, so insurers are less willing to allow them.

• millworkman
    8 months ago

"It's not a code issue from what I understand, it's an insurance issue. 3-tabs are not as good at handling wind, so insurers are less willing to allow them"

Student a lot could have changed in the 6 years from the original post.

• Sandra J. Jones
    12 days ago

3 tab shingles are no longer being manufactured and are not up to current building codes. It's been that way since 2010

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    12 days ago

3-tab shingles are code compliant in Miami-Dade, some of the strictest in the nation at least until 5/5/26.

• JR Tillmon
    4 days ago

Can't find them, in Vegas. LoL this is corporate working 🤝 with government 🤜🤛 they're going to make everybody get the new little angle blocks, or solar shingles.. prepare, for the sales pitches. There's so many, disappointed solar panel customers. They're going, to make us have a metal, rectangles protruding, noticably, like we, who haven't purchased it, like the look. It's not our country, anymore. We are like, people, on a date, that can't leave a boring movie. This blog was started 7 years, ago. The blister has burst.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 days ago

" We are like, people, on a date, that can't leave a boring movie."

Well put.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"

The Eagles - Hotel California